Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 17:48   #976

Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Old 29-11-2013, 18:06   #977

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
If you have never lost a daughter, or a son, please do not offer your advise. You have not been there. It is a horrible place that I hope no one ever experiences.
Where is that directed.i gave opinion . In fact I gave support. So I hope your advise isn't offered tward me or anyone else that has something to offer.
I have not been negative in this thread. I like all of us have had loss. The words of max ehrmann found me some comfort . On occasion I put it out there for benefit or not. If everything continues to suck for you it's your opinion.
Sorry if you had a such a loss.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:15   #978

Sorry, I am deleting my post if I can
. I am a tad sensitive and jump to conclusions. Mea Culpa.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:20   #979

Boat: PETERSON 44
No worries. Let it stand as is. I think most of us get it.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:33   #980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Or maybe just offering comfort to a couple that just lost their son a short time back in the best way he knows how.
Oh damn. My bad. I did not know that.

My apologies to Sabray and everyone else for my smart ass comment.
Old 29-11-2013, 18:53   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Oh damn. My bad. I did not know that.

My apologies to Sabray and everyone else for my smart ass comment.
No worries, My bad, I am just a tad sensitive.
Old 29-11-2013, 20:14   #982

Boat: Catalina 30
I get the impression that he is enjoying the trip but was a bit pissed off because of the refried chicken. What say u Scoob?
Old 29-11-2013, 21:45   #983

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As many of us can witness, finding really good food along the ICW can be Hit or Miss for sure !! I always carry extra steak when I run the ICW just so I can get a good meal LOL. Now when yall get to the ICW along the gulf, ya start to find some pretty fine food ! We have stumbled in to a pretty good meal or two over there but darned if we can think of any thing that could still be open after 10 yrs ago when we made this run! Never thought I would get so old that I would forget the name of a great food place LOL So Scoob keep nameing the good places yall find so we can go there on our next trip through there !! Thanks
Old 30-11-2013, 03:42   #984

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
No I didn't claim I wrote this. Should have disclaimed maybe. Though it has no copyright.
Just for information, from Wikipedia
"Copyright Status

The poem's copyright A 962402 [6] was registered by Ehrmann on Jan. 3, 1927 as "Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, etc. Card.",[7] and was renewed by his wife in 1954.[8]
In August 1971 the poem was published in Success Unlimited magazine, again without authorization from Ehrmann's family. In a 1976 lawsuit[9] against the magazine's publisher, Combined Registry Company, the court ruled (and subsequently the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld[10]) that copyright had been forfeited because the poem had been authorized for publication without a copyright notice in the 1940s – and that the poem is therefore in the public domain."[11]
Old 30-11-2013, 03:49   #985
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
As many of us can witness, finding really good food along the ICW can be Hit or Miss for sure !! I always carry extra steak when I run the ICW just so I can get a good meal LOL. Now when yall get to the ICW along the gulf, ya start to find some pretty fine food ! We have stumbled in to a pretty good meal or two over there but darned if we can think of any thing that could still be open after 10 yrs ago when we made this run! Never thought I would get so old that I would forget the name of a great food place LOL So Scoob keep nameing the good places yall find so we can go there on our next trip through there !! Thanks

we have found one at barnagat bay, NJ one at belhaven, NC, and thats it. hardly worth the extra week the ICW adds to the trip. i will take 48 hours of punishment next trip. seeing the dolphins has been awesome thou.
Old 30-11-2013, 03:50   #986

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

When you get to Snows Cut don't worry if you have to fight a hard current. If the current is against you through the 1.5 miles of the cut it will be with you all the way to Southport, and it will carry you all 12 miles out to the ocean. I have done more than 10knts (otg) in that section. Stay centered in the channel from Snows Cut to the center of the river, there is low water on both sides. (<6') After you pass marker G177 just watch out for the big ships and their wakes, there are no bottom worries.

South from there the next viable inlet is Little River, then Georgetown (Winyah Bay), then Charleston. Little River is tight and doesn't offer much except it is the north entrance to the ICW for Myrtle Beach. Georgetown is good but the ICW from there to Charleston gets very shallow (<6' near McClellanville as of last September). Charleston is easy.
Old 30-11-2013, 03:53   #987
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Sounds like your not enjoying the trip.

Maybe if you stopped a minute and saw how good it is you could comprehend what joy and support is around you.
I read of your loss . Sometimes these words are of comfort. They remind me that it's okay and pull me back to belief of purpose.

thanks for the nice poem.
i like this one more.

Quote:
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord,
‘You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?’
The Lord replied,
‘The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.’
-Mary Stevenson
Old 30-11-2013, 03:59   #988
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
When you get to Snows Cut don't worry if you have to fight a hard current. If the current is against you through the mile or so of the cut it will be with you all the way to Southport, and it will carry you out to the ocean. I have done more than 10knts (otg) in that section.
looks like high tide is about 5:30 in southport, we will probably leave at 5:00-6:00 then the tide can pull us the entire way.
i don't want to get out too early and hit the rough stuff. should have a nice tailwind thou! more jib only sailing, woohoo! i really hate going out to hoist the main.
Old 30-11-2013, 04:37   #989

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Highly recommend you look at the distance and consider your Charleston approach. A nighttime approach isn't prudent in Charleston, the lights on land can be disorienting.

I know you are over this ICW thing, but why not savor this last passage, wait for the seas to lie down, start in the daytime and arrive Charleston in the daytime?

A word of caution: Do not cut corner going into Charleston, the Jetty will get ya.

Also, 5:30 high in Southport will mean some delay farther upstream.

cheers
Old 30-11-2013, 04:58   #990

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Highly recommend you look at the distance and consider your Charleston approach. A nighttime approach isn't prudent in Charleston, the lights on land can be disorienting.

I know you are over this ICW thing, but why not savor this last passage, wait for the seas to lie down, start in the daytime and arrive Charleston in the daytime?

A word of caution: Do not cut corner going into Charleston, the Jetty will get ya.

Also, 5:30 high in Southport will mean some delay farther upstream.

cheers
+1 on entering Charleston during the day. There is a lot of commercial traffic in and out of the port that may or may not see you. Also there are the jettys at the entrance to the harbor to watch out for and several sand bars and islands in the harbor. Plus there is a strong current you'll have to compensate for while docking (usually 2-4 kts).
Closed Thread