Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 05:41   #751

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

PS: Fernandina, Jacksonville or St. Augustine, I'll be glad to come get you to Amtrak...

S/V Water Wings
Old 25-11-2013, 06:31   #752

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
looks like a good next stop. only about 45 miles away. The place we are at right now is unbelievable. its a hidden gem. i have never seen free golf carts before, but here.... FREE GOLF CARTS!!!!

the only issues with those propane heaters is the CO. it can kill you pretty quick. (ask the Nazis) it would be nice in the cockpit thou...... hmmm. i have my eyes wide open for a used wabasto. rare to see them come up thou. once the gen is rebuilt next spring we will have heat.

EDIT: why is there fuel price $1 a gallon more then it should be?
I have a CO alarm in the cabin, never any problem when I've used Mr Heater - except condensate. I'd really like an Espar, but I get by as-is and they are pricey. Keeps me away from the marinas when it gets really cold.

No idea why price is higher at R Dunes, although I'm sure they're trying to make it pay, and they are the only fuel dock before Oriental or maybe even Beaufort if draft restricted. The fuel definitely gets cheaper down towards Beaufort.... I don't burn enough diesel to pay attention to fuel prices on the water, but if you are, check out the fuel prices section of Cruisersnet.net Valvtect is pricier everywhere, but you're right, it is well above what you would have paid at Tidewater or Top rack.

As far as regretting going inside at Norfolk..... did you have the crew to continue on another day or two at sea?

These fronts are kinda wicked. Some years it is 70 degrees and all kinds of nice. It is getting very cold much earlier this year, and gales stacked on top of each other.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:59   #753

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There was something about Scoobies's coast guard rescue that didn't seem right with me. I went back to one of his threads and found this on post #4:

"thou i respect the coast guard, i firmly believe people have the right to be stupid and die.
If there was no coast guard that is what would happen, joe the cruiser, with piles of driftwood on deck, and an engine that does not work, and rigging made of old halyards, will end up swimming to shore."

and this:

"Do you think people would be so stupid on the water if there was no coast guard to come save them, some for the 3rd time?"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-110989.html

As I recall you refused to jump into the water to unfoul your prop and called for a coast guard tow. How's that crow taste?
Old 25-11-2013, 07:09   #754
cruiser

Scoob called SeaTow, a service he paid for. SeaTow must have some arrangement with USCG to handle certain tows.

I'm not a sailor yet and probably would have gone about this venture in a different manner, but why is it that people have to look for the nits to pick? Come on man!

Also, something I learned a long while ago, people posting on message boards and blogs are posting point in time snapshots. While it appears to us that he is providing a chronological listing of his decision making process, we are missing quite a few steps and input points. Give the man a break, he is on his adventure and has my support, you go Scoob, safe travels and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
There was something about Scoobies's coast guard rescue that didn't seem right with me. I went back to one of his threads and found this:

"thou i respect the coast guard, i firmly believe people have the right to be stupid and die.
If there was no coast guard that is what would happen, joe the cruiser, with piles of driftwood on deck, and an engine that does not work, and rigging made of old halyards, will end up swimming to shore."

and this:

"Do you think people would be so stupid on the water if there was no coast guard to come save them, some for the 3rd time?"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-110989.html

As I recall you refused to jump into the water to unfoul your prop and called for a coast guard tow. How's that crow taste?
Old 25-11-2013, 07:15   #755
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
no sir.
i called my private, paid for, towing company.... who called the coast guard, two hours after i called him...
i am not sure why. i had 1 bar of cell service, and we could not really understand each other.
i was a bit stewed about it. i paid about $160 for unlimited on-water towing, and the coastguard showed up.....
i had a choice, either take a line from them, or bob in the water until i worked out why towboat was not there. i was NOT in danger, i simply needed to get to port. honestly, i could have unfurled the jib, and sailed to Florida. Did they rescue me? i guess...? was their presence necessary? no. were they professional, timely, and get me to port? indeed.
makes me wonder why i have boatus?
Old 25-11-2013, 07:16   #756
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGator View Post
Scoob called SeaTow, a service he paid for. SeaTow must have some arrangement with USCG to handle certain tows.

I'm not a sailor yet and probably would have gone about this venture in a different manner, but why is it that people have to look for the nits to pick? Come on man!

Also, something I learned a long while ago, people posting on message boards and blogs are posting point in time snapshots. While it appears to us that he is providing a chronological listing of his decision making process, we are missing quite a few steps and input points. Give the man a break, he is on his adventure and has my support, you go Scoob, safe travels and have fun.

thank you, and welcome to CF
Old 25-11-2013, 07:35   #757

Hey Scoob,

A couple of years ago when I was considering moving my Tayana into NC waters, I checked out maybe a half dozen marinas in the area and River Dunes was my top pick. BTW, there is a Tayana Owners Group that has a lot of good info if you haven't googled it yet. Good Luck on your journey.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:38   #758
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

EDIT: why is there fuel price $1 a gallon more then it should be?
Is this the place with the free golf carts? Nothing's free, you know that
Old 25-11-2013, 07:53   #759

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
I have a CO alarm in the cabin, never any problem when I've used Mr Heater - except condensate. I'd really like an Espar, but I get by as-is and they are pricey. Keeps me away from the marinas when it gets really cold.

snip.
Me too. I have 2 catalytic heaters (and a CO alarm) and the only issue is condensate. However, they do recommend you have some outside ventilation. I don't sleep with them on, and wouldn't recommend that. But you're right they're a good solution to take the morning chill off or other times when you need it.

If you're motoring a lot, and can utilize wasted engine heat a "bus heater" is also a great solution. HEATER CRAFT makes a variety of models for different installation options and it's hundreds not thousand$.
Old 25-11-2013, 08:01   #760

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Thanks Escale!
We are in belhaven, nc until tomorrow.
We found a friendly marina with nothing to sell but dockspace.
Dockmaster is the most friendly we have seen in weeks.
We are getting warm, and enjoying the sturdy ground.
Off to food lion, food (noting noteworthy) and relaxation.
Rainforest Marina? A little shallow on the entrance, very high fixed docks, but doable. They have a golf cart for you to go to Food Lion. The "food (noting noteworthy)" in Belhaven is basically what you will find at most "Mom & Pop" restaurants in the south, nothing great, but good.
Old 25-11-2013, 08:47   #761

Quote:
thank you, and welcome to CF
I have a hunch scoob will need many more tows in the ICW and if he gets to the Bahamas --will pay lots more
Old 25-11-2013, 09:18   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
I have a hunch scoob will need many more tows in the ICW and if he gets to the Bahamas --will pay lots more
hard to decipher Scoobs CG posts --both start with "if there were no CG... marginal sailors would not go to sea.... or something like that .... is he looking in a mirror? LOL
Old 25-11-2013, 09:26   #763
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, MNGator.

Old 25-11-2013, 10:17   #764
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Hey Scoob,

A couple of years ago when I was considering moving my Tayana into NC waters, I checked out maybe a half dozen marinas in the area and River Dunes was my top pick. BTW, there is a Tayana Owners Group that has a lot of good info if you haven't googled it yet. Good Luck on your journey.
We just left river forest manor marina. In short, it was perfect.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:23   #765
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Rainforest Marina? A little shallow on the entrance, very high fixed docks, but doable. They have a golf cart for you to go to Food Lion. The "food (noting noteworthy)" in Belhaven is basically what you will find at most "Mom & Pop" restaurants in the south, nothing great, but good.
The water was blown? Out when we arrived.
Chanel depth was 11' to the T. Our slip was 6.4'
i know because we were grazing the bottom.
Plenty of depth at the end thou. When we left in calm winds it was deeper.
We ate at, on the hook. The waitress was so friendly she recieved the biggest tip of the trip, and the meal was $25 and very good for a buffet.
Closed Thread