Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 07:09   #391

Boat: PSC 34
Scoob,do you have AIS transmit.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:01   #392
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Transit Time? NY-FL

Am i able to get into oregon inlet? I am 6.5 deep.

No ais, and will never have it.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:08   #393

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
A no go for Oregon Inlet or Hatteras inlet. Chesapeake Bay or Beaufort are your options. Too many shoals and at times very rough in either of those inlets for a sailboat with your draft.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:12   #394
cruiser

So norfolk or i go around the cape?
Old 13-11-2013, 11:17   #395

Boat: Hunter 410

Hey Scoobert - Not sure where you are today. If you don't have them, the Waterway Cruising Guides (and their accompanying website) can be invaluable to have aboard for the trip you are on. We've done the southbound twice - once a combination of inside and outside, once mostly inside with the occasional outside passage, because we had more time. We draw 5.5' and were very glad to have the detailed guides. Good for the times you can't get to us here on the Forum! Helped us make decisions about many things, including safe and (ahem) less safe inlets. Also check out Salty Southeast (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here? It's at cruisersnet.net) for very good up to the minute (or hour or day) info about the various challenges, anchorages, marinas, fuel stops, etc.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:18   #396

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
I would go around the cape but stop in Norfolk until you have 2-3 days of ideal weather to get down to Beaufort on the outside. The cape is a very dangerous place for bad weather as evidenced by the thousands of wrecks there and named the Graveyard of the Atlantic. Real nice when the weather is good! The safest bet would be to take the ICW down to Beaufort if your draft will allow it.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:25   #397

activecaptain.com will give some good into about the inlets, marinas and anchorages along your path. If you decide not to go the ICW down to Beaufort, then by all means wait in Norfolk for a good weather window for a trip around the cape.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:32   #398
cruiser

So at 6.5 can i go in a norfolk ok? I have seatow, but do not wish to have to use it.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:43   #399

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If the warships can get into Norfolk ok I think you'll be fine.
Old 13-11-2013, 11:51   #400
cruiser

Yes, but do they then transit the icw?
Old 13-11-2013, 11:58   #401

Boat: Catalina 30

No, but with the exception of certain mine sweepers all the watches are usually manned by experienced and qualified personnel.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:00   #402

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Yes, but do they then transit the icw?
Here's your question, Scoo. "So at 6.5 can i go in a norfolk ok? I have seatow, but do not wish to have to use it."

As you can see, you can get aircraft carriers into Norfolk so I think you should be able to get in if you stay in the channel!! There is no guarantee that you might not need to call Seatow. It's up to you not to stray and run aground.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:30   #403

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Be careful at Norfolk....not just military vessels but also lots of container ships and loaded barges moving in and out of the Chesapeake ...you need to stay out of their way....AIS to see them early really helps.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:34   #404

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Why so much hatred for Scoobert?

Seems like he had a cruising dream. Bought his boat, livedaboard, refit it and is now taking off. Seems to be more than many of the armchair skippers here with their 28'er sitting at a mooring ball 1,000 miles away.

I say good for you Scoob and happy sailing.
No hatred but just shaking heads at someone who has posted enough for many to think he's getting in over his head.
Old 13-11-2013, 14:44   #405

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Scoobert, people take boats like that down the ICW. You'll need to be careful, and read the nav alerts for each section on cruisers net. The great bridge lock was out of commission last I heard but check the above site. Someone recently posted that they did that section with 7' draft no problem. If you have not done much ICW time, there will be a learning curve. Keep the reds on your right, and try to see the big picture of channel marking, and learn to "see" the deep water. You'll likely use your seatow, just try not to hit the throttle when you bump or see the depth sounder drop. Slow and easy in skinny water, and kedge off if you bump. Hopefully.

Spend time each night planning the next day, and have your crew dialed in to active captain or cruisers net so they can assist with nav info.

With a little luck, you'll just make the same dumb mistakes we all have and be all the wiser. Just try not to anchor to windward of anyone and take extra care not to anchor too close. In other words, make your mistakes away from other boats

Another option once you're in the albemarle is to go to Manteo and Ocracoke, then to Beaufort. More sailing opportunity in the pamlico sound but beware of a brisk NE breeze and the steep chop, although off the wind you'll be fine. Its not a straight shot so you will take it from the quarter too as you round brant.

Alligator and pungo are plenty deep, I would not let the ICW scare you outside to Hatteras. There are some problem sections, but they are well known and documented. If you fly by the seat of your pants, you're screwed. Use the resources and you'll have an uneventful trip. I draw 4', so caveat is that I'm relaying others experience.

Jealous. I love being on the water this time of year. You've got a unique approach here, to be sure, and haters gonna hate. I like your honesty, and would love to see you get through the next few weeks unscathed. Save Hatteras for the trip north. Flying north in the stream is a super experience. Bioluminescent trails, stars, gorgeous water, great boat speed. Just not a prudent option for a new skipper heading south in mid November. Doesn't matter that you think you can do it, you probably can. Top your fuel tank off before you head offshore. Seems basic but some people skip it on coastal passages.
Closed Thread