Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 16:19   #256
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
OK, I am confused. You state you are going with two Canadians that have done the trip before. You also state that your crew "member" knows the timing. So, are the Canadians on your boat or are you three boats heading south with seperate crews? If they are in their own boats, and are experienced crews and know how to sail, how are you going to keep with them? Whatever, good luck~
Okay, this will probably get stricken by the moderators, but I have to say it.

You posted that you were going with two people who had done it before. Now you are clarifying that they will be in separate boats. When (not if) the manure hits the air circulator, they too will have their hands full. Do you really expect someone to put their vessel and crew in jeopardy to talk you through your troubles? Some reactions need to be instinctive. That is only learned through extensive deck time. Something you admittedly don't have. If these other people were on the boat you had a chance as they could coach you. The way you are doing this instills a false confidence.

So who else will be on the boat with you?????

For the love of all things blessed and sacred, please rent a life raft and an EPIRB.

Don't misunderstand me, I have done things that outsiders have said border on sucidal. BUT, knowledgable people just saw it as pushing the envelope. This adventure has some gnarly downsides. Downsides that you have no experience dealing with.

Cheers

Okay.... Where did I put that popcorn????
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 31-10-2013, 16:29   #257

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Transit time? NY-FL

Once you get out there it will be difficult to stay within sight of each other. Sometimes on a voyage two boats can stay within sight but the longer the trip and the more severe the weather the more difficult this becomes.
Old 31-10-2013, 17:17   #258

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Reading this dialogue leaves you almost speechless. We've been up and down the coast a couple of times, each time in and out, depending on location and weather, so with some experience I think I can say, WOW, talk about being naive. Unless lucky, you need to go to 66 degrees longitude to be able to go south relatively comfortably. Having steering issues, questionable rigging, no experience, untested on the boat, inexperienced wife to do 8 hour watches, my suggestion is pay the insurance in full, have a good pre-nup, and someone to drive down and pick you up in the Chesapeake when you reach your senses and your crew jumps ship. This has the makings of an article in Soundings about being unprepared.
Old 31-10-2013, 17:19   #259

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

It'll be real cold at 66 degrees latitude. Whether North or South. Don't confuse the OP anymore!
Old 31-10-2013, 17:35   #260

Boat: Vancouver 27

The alternative to the offshore jaunt is of course to stay coastal and hop in and out of the ICW as weather permits. This would keep you close to VHF range of coast guard and towboat. It will take you longer, but seems like the more sensible shakedown route and will likely be a much more enjoyable maiden voyage. A few days on the ICW shortcutting Hatteras is a pretty enjoyable experience, actually.

This would be my choice given the circumstances, but I don't want to be a naysayer either. Also, if I had a wife (which I dont), I would consider the long-term implications for her and the boat with a potentially gnarly offshore passage versus a bit more of an ease-into-it coastal hopping experience. (Now here I am trying to give you marital advice too )
Old 31-10-2013, 18:19   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
On top of that is 50# or so of rice, suplies to make about 30 loaves of bread.
Hopefully, you have that well packaged. My experience with those sorts of supplies at sea is that they often fall into the hands of many little pests, like weevils.
Old 31-10-2013, 18:53   #262

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

And I hope your bilge is DRY! Ive seen folks lose a bunch of canned good that way !! And I hope you wrote the type of stuff is in the cans with waterproof ink!! Cus the lables sure have a habit of comming off aboard even in cabinets way above the bilge!! I hope ya remember that your not as good a sailer as the folks your going with ! and can they keep you insite for the time it takes to get there ! I hope so ! and Hows your Ins?? Up to date for the trip ?? Ive only done this trip 2 times myself, and it can be a real rush at times !! The weather it seems is never great !! Sometimes it's fair, but somewhere your gonna have some weather!! Be carefull it's sure not like sailin in the river, or the sound !! Have fun but be safe!!
Old 31-10-2013, 19:01   #263

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

squared!!!!!!!!!!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 31-10-2013, 19:23   #264

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
We will be checking the weather before the cape, and decide before we arrive.
I have a currents chart for the atlantic. I can tell you we have none by looking at that.
If you are going north to south, to southern Florida and not heading east around the Bahamas or through the Bahamas.....and you don't think you'll be fighting the Gulf Stream...time to get new charts....

Oh...forget it...just kidding...I hope you catch a nice 20-30 knot following breeze when you round Cape Canaveral headed for Miami....
Old 31-10-2013, 19:28   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Once you get out there it will be difficult to stay within sight of each other. Sometimes on a voyage two boats can stay within sight but the longer the trip and the more severe the weather the more difficult this becomes.
Unless all the rum & cute girls are on the slow boat.
Old 31-10-2013, 19:28   #266

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Okay, this will probably get stricken by the moderators, but I have to say it.

You posted that you were going with two people who had done it before. Now you are clarifying that they will be in separate boats. When (not if) the manure hits the air circulator, they too will have their hands full. Do you really expect someone to put their vessel and crew in jeopardy to talk you through your troubles? Some reactions need to be instinctive. That is only learned through extensive deck time. Something you admittedly don't have. If these other people were on the boat you had a chance as they could coach you. The way you are doing this instills a false confidence.

So who else will be on the boat with you?????

For the love of all things blessed and sacred, please rent a life raft and an EPIRB.

Don't misunderstand me, I have done things that outsiders have said border on sucidal. BUT, knowledgable people just saw it as pushing the envelope. This adventure has some gnarly downsides. Downsides that you have no experience dealing with.

Cheers

Okay.... Where did I put that popcorn????
I kind of thought that this was the case. Experienced sailors in two boats, inexperienced sailor with mate of NO experience, in the other.
I think of days when a group of us sail 20 NM's up the bay, leaving at the same time. Some arrive two to three hours before others. Now magnify that by 60 and why am I waiting out here in a storm for YOU because you are inexperienced? I hope you have at least given them your resume so they know what you don't yet know!
Safe trip, but could you do SPOT so we can watch?
Old 31-10-2013, 19:53   #267

The OP just loves to learn from those with gobs more, much more, experience. Conflicting input from the OP about questions raised by respondents, like 5 days to 8 to 10 days, just stretches his rubber band of understanding the danger he's putting himself and his wife into.

But don't worry, the OP "knows best" and better than all of you who have done the trip.

Or the math.

Good luck, OP.

Oh, rice! Doesn't it expand when it gets wet?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 31-10-2013, 20:38   #268

Boat: Catalina 30
Scoob, as a fellow newb I am rooting for you.

If you should happen to make it as far as Titusville before your month runs out I would be honored to buy you a beer.
Old 31-10-2013, 21:09   #269

Gary, perhaps you're missing the point. EVERYBODY is ACTUALLY rooting for the OP. Sometimes he just doesn't get it. But everyone is trying to HELP, whether he takes the advice is up to him. One of those: "If you don't like the answers, why'd you ask the question" kinda things. And being a newb has nothing to do with it. Perhaps you both can learn something from this exercise. Remember, we ALL were newbs at some time... It's NOT an either-or issue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 01-11-2013, 00:31   #270

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

First - Scoob - obviously you really don't want to listen. But here is some math, not opinion. That 45 foot Tatyana, has a waterline length of , say 40 feet (no I have not gone out and checked that, but it is close).
Calculating the max. theoretical hull speed for a 40 foot waterline you come up with 8.47 knots

no bull there - that is as fast as that boat will go unless it gets up on a plane and starts to surf (which sure as hell ain't gonna happen the entire trip).

1200nm/8.5 means even IF you keep that boat at max hull speed the entire trip it will take you 142 hours or 6 days.

Looking at all the world-wide cruisers, including those saying much faster and bigger boats than yours, the average 5-6 knots per hour when making passage. A days run is usually in the vicinity of 150-160 nm at that rate it will take you say 8 days. Add a day on each end since you say you will be sailing out beyond the stream and you will be out there for 10 days.

Betcha a beer you will use more than 14 days.

By the way, if your canadian friends say they have done it in 5 days, well, it is not polite to call someone a liar, so let's just say they are being extremely stingy with the truth.

But you won't listen to this, just as you haven't listened to the rest of the replies.

good luck, I hope you make it.
By the way, a Tatyana is not a racing boat. Maybe yours has won a couple of handicapped races - but that does not make it a racing boat. Just proves it has a really high handicap in comparison with the other boats in the race.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Closed Thread