Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 16:31   #1

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Transducer problem

Reaching out for help with our thru hull AIRMAR TRANSDUCER. We have an older GARMIN 198C GPS. The Transducer is an Airmar, thru hull six pin 50/200 KHZ dual unit #010-10193-00. The AIRMAR also has a designation of B744VL and is a Long Stem, Bronze unit. Needless to say, neither Airmar nor Garmin is much help as I have contacted both. They are apparently, no longer made, and they have no replacement available at this time.

The head unit 198C seems to be functioning as normal in all other respects, but gives a notice saying "Sounder Turned Off". There is no way to to independently turn it on or off as it just turns on when the unit is switched on, with no separate control.

I have tried to use a STRIKER as a stand alone depth indicator, but it too indicates, "Sonar disconnected". I have checked the entire wire from the transducer to the GPS unit and found it to be without any issues. So I have now determined that in order to proceed I will need to locate a used transducer. It is possible to change the unit in the water, as when new it came with a paddle wheel insert option, to allow an in water change option. Very easy change, just need a transducer should anyone have one.

Any help, or suggestions appreciated as we are retired, trying to save that which we can, and avoid a haul out, and associated expenses .
Old 15-04-2021, 19:13   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 MrkI
Re: Transducer problem

No, you can not change a thru hull transducer while the boat is in the water. If you're in need of a fix, try an in-hull transducer. It's what I use. That, you can do yourself with the boat in the water. Good luck.
The Resailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 19:40   #3
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Reaching out for help with our thru hull AIRMAR TRANSDUCER. We have an older GARMIN 198C GPS. The Transducer is an Airmar, thru hull six pin 50/200 KHZ dual unit #010-10193-00. The AIRMAR also has a designation of B744VL and is a Long Stem, Bronze unit. Needless to say, neither Airmar nor Garmin is much help as I have contacted both. They are apparently, no longer made, and they have no replacement available at this time.

The head unit 198C seems to be functioning as normal in all other respects, but gives a notice saying "Sounder Turned Off". There is no way to to independently turn it on or off as it just turns on when the unit is switched on, with no separate control.

I have tried to use a STRIKER as a stand alone depth indicator, but it too indicates, "Sonar disconnected". I have checked the entire wire from the transducer to the GPS unit and found it to be without any issues. So I have now determined that in order to proceed I will need to locate a used transducer. It is possible to change the unit in the water, as when new it came with a paddle wheel insert option, to allow an in water change option. Very easy change, just need a transducer should anyone have one.

Any help, or suggestions appreciated as we are retired, trying to save that which we can, and avoid a haul out, and associated expenses .
That part number looks like a fixed stem "through hull" transducer, so probably not "replaceable" in the water same for same. It looks like a 6 conductor plug, but it's hard to tell with a small picture (OK, so I googled the spec sheet of the 198c and it is.) If you're really looking to save money and avoid a haulout you might try a "in-hull" style transducer. You can epoxy the thing to the inside of the hull and fill with mineral oil and avoid an expensive haulout.

https://www.jmsonline.net/garmin-p79...0-10327-00.htm

It's in stock. It's a gamble that you're hull isn't too thick (or cored), but you can probably find a place it'll work.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 19:40   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

You could try to contact Gemeco (https://www.gemeco.com/, info@gemeco.com, +1-803-693-0777) and see if they have any advice. One solution might be to get a either a Garmin plug or mix-and-match cable from Gemeco and try to splice your own.
Old 17-04-2021, 08:07   #5

Thanks all, for the rapid responses. Our hull is thick, and cored. The transducer came with an optional replaceable paddle wheel insert, for speed through the water, which was designed, by AIRMAR, to be substituted, while in the water. I have, in the past, pulled the transducer, and replaced it with the paddle wheel, and then back again, while in the water. Both the transducer and the paddle wheel insert have double large o rings. The change has been made, a few times in the past, while in the water, with not too much leaking. I do not wish to pull the transducer unless I can locate the proper replacement first, incase time has taken its toll on the o rings on both parts, even though I have the proper wooden plug at the ready. Still Too Cold, even down here in south Louisiana, to go in yet, should a problem, jump on my plate.
Old 17-04-2021, 08:40   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That's now 20 year old technology. I would be tempted to use it until the Autumn, then relegate it to the chart table and snap up a new chart plotter with AIS in the end of season sales. If you lift out for the winter, that gives you the chance to do the transducers in slow time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 18:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That's now 20 year old technology. I would be tempted to use it until the Autumn, then relegate it to the chart table and snap up a new chart plotter with AIS in the end of season sales. If you lift out for the winter, that gives you the chance to do the transducers in slow time.

Pete
Thanks Pete. Yes it is old tech., but I think I may have located a new transducer, which would make all things well on my end. I'm not a huge fan of new high tech things and still use paper charts when I can with the GPS as a backup. If I could, I would try to find a lead line, but realize how difficult that could be to use. Really do not want to go new GPS, if I can secure the new transducer, which will work with my current GPS, which provides all the bells and whistles, I need, and has served me well over the years, and I like it too. That said, you are right, and the time will come to move up and on.
Old 17-04-2021, 18:30   #8

Boat: 46 ft cutter

If you are worried about o-rings, take the paddle-wheel transducer that isn’t currently installed, and measure the o-rings. Plenty of places sell o-rings. Worse comes to worst, order the proper replacement o-rings from McMaster-Carr.
Mc-Carr is a bit pricey for normal components, but I bet you can get a bag of the proper sized o-rings (Mc-Carr usually doesn’t sell o-rings in onesies and twosies) for the same price a marine shop will charge for one o-ring.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transducer