Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 16:11   #1051

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Hay, anybody seen this boat? I hear it went missing a while back.
Haha. Not Dagny but his previous, not lost, boat
Old 13-01-2016, 16:14   #1052

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
...Used responsibly it is an asset but the use of AIS while anchored in a secure anchorage or at a dock in my opinion is irresponsible.
Used to be I probably agreed with you. But, the very purpose of this thread....

Had Dagny had an AIS on while at anchor, then finding her when she started to drift would have been a piece of cake. So, which way do you go? I think I'd vote for leaving my AIS on while at anchor for just this eventuality.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:19   #1053

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Someone should invent a dead man epirb. You activate it with an "alive" time, which if not periodically reset, once up will sound a shrill alarm for a further period of time before triggering the epirb if still not reset. You could locate a missing or distressed vessel, if still afloat, anywhere.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:28   #1054
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Used to be I probably agreed with you. But, the very purpose of this thread....

Had Dagny had an AIS on while at anchor, then finding her when she started to drift would have been a piece of cake. So, which way do you go? I think I'd vote for leaving my AIS on while at anchor for just this eventuality.

Yes, but if you read my post I said secure anchorage. I can't think of a reason to run AIS in a secure anchorage and especially while docked. Dagny was anchored in an insecure anchorage with known bad holding so maybe run AIS or be more proactive and stay with your boat until you feel you are in a secure anchorage.
I don't think AIS was ever intended to be used as an anchor alarm or means to find your boat if gone adrift.
Still the question, why have it activated while at a dock?
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:34   #1055

Boat: Outremer 50S

I did read the 'secure anchorage' bit. But Gil left his vessel unattended in an anchorage. To me that indicates that in his mind at least the anchorage was 'secure'. Can't imagine anyone wanting to leave their boat alone in an anchorage they considered insecure. Obviously he had some doubts since he tells about looking for the mast at regular intervals.

So, how do you make up your mind 'is this anchorage one where I leave on the AIS, or one where I turn it off?'
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:42   #1056
smj

Quote:
I did read the 'secure anchorage' bit. But Gil left his vessel unattended in an anchorage. To me that indicates that in his mind at least the anchorage was 'secure'. Can't imagine anyone wanting to leave their boat alone in an anchorage they considered insecure. Obviously he had some doubts since he tells about looking for the mast at regular intervals.

So, how do you make up your mind 'is this anchorage one where I leave on the AIS, or one where I turn it off?'

Easy answer for me, I would never use AIS in an anchorage because in my opinion it wasn't designed for that. Maybe I'm getting old, but the beauty of cruising to us was getting away from it all and being self sufficient and responsible. Heck we have never even used an anchor alarm.

Old 13-01-2016, 16:43   #1057

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...how do you make up your mind 'is this anchorage one where I leave on the AIS, or one where I turn it off?'
If you didn't bother to set your anchor, don't know what the bottom is like, haven't secured the bitter end of your anchor rode, (etc) leave the AIS on.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:50   #1058
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
If you didn't bother to set your anchor, don't know what the bottom is like, haven't secured the bitter end of your anchor rode, (etc) leave the AIS on.

😁😁😁😁oh so true!

Old 13-01-2016, 17:05   #1059

Quote:
Easy answer for me, I would never use AIS in an anchorage because in my opinion it wasn't designed for that. Maybe I'm getting old, but the beauty of cruising to us was getting away from it all and being self sufficient and responsible. Heck we have never even used an anchor alarm.

One reason AIS was developed (perhaps a major reason) was for vessel tracking by the gov't and companies that monitor vessel movements. A friend of mine owned a company that has a network of AIS receivers all along the US coastline. The data is fed to "data vaults", servers that do not allow the data to be manipulated. Any time there is a collision, explosion (like the Deepwater Horizon, for example) or demurrage issue, his company is contacted for minute by minute tracking of the vessels involved. This is why so much info is being broadcast in addition to ships position, and also why the transmission frequency increases when turning or in certain areas.

Since the tracking info cannot be manipulated after storage in the data vault, it can be admissible in court as the true course, speed, track, etc of the vessel and is used to determine who hit who, who tried to avoid and when, who was anchored, where exactly was it anchored, etc.

During the Deepwater Horizon incident, any vessel employed by BP in the cleanup process that did not have AIS installed was provided with a satellite tracker glued to their boat. All of the AIS data plus satellite tracking data was provided in real time (although the sat trackers pinged only once every hour) and displayed on large LCD TVs from the corporate website.

It was an immense help in logistics and coordination of a lot of surface and air assets covering a very large area.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 17:36   #1060
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
One reason AIS was developed (perhaps a major reason) was for vessel tracking by the gov't and companies that monitor vessel movements. A friend of mine owned a company that has a network of AIS receivers all along the US coastline. The data is fed to "data vaults", servers that do not allow the data to be manipulated. Any time there is a collision, explosion (like the Deepwater Horizon, for example) or demurrage issue, his company is contacted for minute by minute tracking of the vessels involved. This is why so much info is being broadcast in addition to ships position, and also why the transmission frequency increases when turning or in certain areas.

Since the tracking info cannot be manipulated after storage in the data vault, it can be admissible in court as the true course, speed, track, etc of the vessel and is used to determine who hit who, who tried to avoid and when, who was anchored, where exactly was it anchored, etc.

During the Deepwater Horizon incident, any vessel employed by BP in the cleanup process that did not have AIS installed was provided with a satellite tracker glued to their boat. All of the AIS data plus satellite tracking data was provided in real time (although the sat trackers pinged only once every hour) and displayed on large LCD TVs from the corporate website.

It was an immense help in logistics and coordination of a lot of surface and air assets covering a very large area.

You've made my mind up. If this scenario is going to overlap into the pleasure vessel use of AIS I want nothing to do with it. We go cruising to get away from the controlling aspects of what has become normal everyday life. I hope to god I'm taking your post in the wrong way.

Old 13-01-2016, 17:59   #1061

Quote:
You've made my mind up. If this scenario is going to overlap into the pleasure vessel use of AIS I want nothing to do with it. We go cruising to get away from the controlling aspects of what has become normal everyday life. I hope to god I'm taking your post in the wrong way.

I don't see anything really wrong with it's use, currently. It's not like the NSA is tracking you with it, I doubt they have any interest in Mr. and Mrs. Cruiser. They're already doing a lot more with your cell phone metadata and internet search history.

Perhaps someday you may need to prove that you were at anchor when a merchant ship struck you and they try to deny it. It's like the dash cams on police cars and Russian cars, it helps keep everyone honest. Some of those videos of drunks getting arrested and Russian drivers losing control are pretty funny!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 18:11   #1062
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I don't see anything really wrong with it's use, currently. It's not like the NSA is tracking you with it, I doubt they have any interest in Mr. and Mrs. Cruiser. They're already doing a lot more with your cell phone metadata and internet search history.

Perhaps someday you may need to prove that you were at anchor when a merchant ship struck you and they try to deny it. It's like the dash cams on police cars and Russian cars, it helps keep everyone honest. Some of those videos of drunks getting arrested and Russian drivers losing control are pretty funny!

Like I said, I don't cruise to subscribe to this bs.

Old 13-01-2016, 18:13   #1063

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

AIS primary purpose is collision avoidance. Not some government plot.

Boats get hit on the hook all the time.

I like being able to see details on anchored tankers outside of a harbor at night. I use that info to plan my approach.
Old 13-01-2016, 19:21   #1064

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Would it help if I told you we bought it for the wife to commute the 50 miles back and forth to work everyday?
How about if my vehicle is a C3500 Duramax and her other car is a CTS-V?

what do they call this, compensating?
Couldn't help but comment. I own a Prius . And a crew cab C4500 duramax/Allison that pulls the house, as we no longer own" dirt ".
What's that compensating thing about ? Never heard about that , lol.
Unless you mean compensating for having three boats.... But then.... I mean... Oh never mind ....:: frown:

This thread has really covered multiple subjects hasn't it ?
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 19:29   #1065

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
If you're worried about being tracked, most if not all of the transponder units allow you to turn your transmissions off and operate in receive-only mode. You can also just buy an AIS receiver -- much cheaper but you obviously lose some collision avoidance capability without the ability to also transmit.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote