Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 07:18   #1036

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I like Solas reflective tape wrapped on the mast; un-obtrusive, only works when you need it, cheap to use (I'm Dutch/Scottish) and very low maintenance. Next time down to the boat I'm putting some on top of the spreaders as suggested by another CF member; that guy with the Clint Eastwood avatar; unforgiven, uncivilized, unreliable.... something like that

Of course this doesn't help if someone roars into an anchorage with no lights, but what do you do?

I've never put anyone on ignore, but that was a strange attack on Jim. I've always respected both of the Cates' opinions and advice. I'm assuming there's a longer story there that I really don't care about, or someone's medications have surpassed their expiry date.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:22   #1037

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Why is it "sadly?"
Cos it's an 'all or nothing' feature, obviously. So you end up blocking both the posts you really don't need to see, but also the ones that are OK or even add to a topic. And since this is a shared account, it's blocking 2 posters with one click.

Secondly, I don't believe this is a case of just a rude person trying to flame or disrupt topics just for the sake of it. I don't think Brian enjoys annoying people to the point of them not even want to see his posts anymore, as some seem to do. But in a couple of topics, he has managed to upset / annoy quite a few people because one person seems to anger him for reasons only known to him (it looks) and he won't let go, disrupting an entire topic to 'have it out' with that person, like he did here.

So I'm kinda hoping that letting him know (which I normally don't, for pretty much all the reasons you listed) will make Brian reconsider posting before counting to 10, so to speak.

You and others may or may not agree with the above, but that's how I feel and how I choose to deal with it
Old 13-01-2016, 07:24   #1038
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Cmon guys, we all have a bad day, least I do sometimes, don't judge me on just one instance
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:06   #1039

Sorry Gil's thread took a turn to Crazy Town.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:17   #1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Why is it "sadly?" It's obviously not going to make you sad to not read his opinions or you wouldn't have done it, and if you hadn't just announced it he wouldn't even have ever known so he's not going to be sad. I'm not sad and I doubt whether anyone else cares who you ignore either. So, who is sad about you ignoring him?

I think the ignore feature is a great thing for a forum like this because it allows us to discretely not see the posts of someone we find to be annoying and that helps keep all our blood pressures at comfortable levels. Instead of telling someone you find to be obnoxious to "shut up(!)" you just magically don't hear them any more. But then when you announce to them and everyone else that you are ignoring someone, you are using it not just to avoid their posts, but also to insult them and let it be known that you don't find their views worthwhile. Why bother to tell them that? Why not just "ignore" quietly like you would in the real world if someone annoyed you? If someone is obnoxious enough that everyone makes their own individual choice to ignore them, they will cease to be part of the conversations that go on here and at that point, out of boredom would probably go find somewhere else to spend their time. Publicly announcing that you are "ignoring" someone seems like such a passive-aggressive thing to do. Why not just do it and let it go at that?

I'm a firm believer in helping people out.

Let's say you were at a party and you had a big piece of spinach stuck in your teeth. Would you prefer that I told you about it right away, or let you wander around politely chatting with everyone while they smiled and laughed at you for being unaware? I'd prefer to be told. Thus, I treat others as I would like to be treated.

Perhaps it won't make any difference, but there might be a remote possibility that if someone hears that he's being ignored by enough people, he'll get the hint.

But it's a really long shot. Like SuperLotto long.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:21   #1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
...so you mean you don't carry a little sign like this in your pocket for social affairs JT?
Attachment 116639
The socially acceptable thing to do these days is to pull out your phone and start texting as they're speaking to you, do not make eye contact. If someone calls you, let it ring twice, then send it to voicemail so they know it was intentional.
Old 13-01-2016, 08:24   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Cmon guys, we all have a bad day, least I do sometimes, don't judge me on just one instance
I normally wouldn't, but you lost a LOT of points when you said you drove a Prius. As if the helicopter pilot thing wasn't bad enough.

Just Kidding!
Old 13-01-2016, 08:31   #1043
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Its not just a bad day. Look back and in other threads and you'll see the mental pattern (not you).
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:26   #1044
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I normally wouldn't, but you lost a LOT of points when you said you drove a Prius. As if the helicopter pilot thing wasn't bad enough.

Just Kidding!

Would it help if I told you we bought it for the wife to commute the 50 miles back and forth to work everyday?
How about if my vehicle is a C3500 Duramax and her other car is a CTS-V?

what do they call this, compensating?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 10:09   #1045

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Cos it's an 'all or nothing' feature, obviously. So you end up blocking both the posts you really don't need to see, but also the ones that are OK or even add to a topic. And since this is a shared account, it's blocking 2 posters with one click.

Secondly, I don't believe this is a case of just a rude person trying to flame or disrupt topics just for the sake of it. I don't think Brian enjoys annoying people to the point of them not even want to see his posts anymore, as some seem to do. But in a couple of topics, he has managed to upset / annoy quite a few people because one person seems to anger him for reasons only known to him (it looks) and he won't let go, disrupting an entire topic to 'have it out' with that person, like he did here.

So I'm kinda hoping that letting him know (which I normally don't, for pretty much all the reasons you listed) will make Brian reconsider posting before counting to 10, so to speak.

You and others may or may not agree with the above, but that's how I feel and how I choose to deal with it
But since you've already put him on "ignore," you'll never see his posts or know whether your action has the hoped for impact on him. So I guess you announced it to him as sort of a public service for the rest of us who don't mind his posts enough to put him on ignore? Also, while I personally also have a hard time understanding why he seems to not like Jim Cates and would send so much vitriol in his direction, I'm sure that Jim will survive just fine and as long as he doesn't do it too frequently, I'll just skim over that part and focus on the parts of his posts that are pertinent to sailing.

At least he's a real sailor and does post some useful things about boating. The posters that I'm tempted to "ignore" are those whom (shall remain nameless) I find to be excessively pompous or gossipy, especially when it's clear that they aren't even real sailors or try to write authoritatively about things they obviously don't know much about or seem to make a lot of posts for effect, in an attempt to be one of the "popular kids." That's the sort that I tend to find irritating but I don't think it's likely that my announcing that I'm "ignoring" them has ANY chance of causing them to change their ways, and if they announced they were ignoring me, I wouldn't change either, so I tend to think the decision to ignore or not to ignore is best done discretely. But maybe you're right and your announcement will cause him to rethink his opinions, change his personality, find that he secretly likes Jim Cates, and post in a way that you approve of, and I might win the Powerball lottery tonight and be a billionaire by this time tomorrow!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:26   #1046
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Would it help if I told you we bought it for the wife to commute the 50 miles back and forth to work everyday?
How about if my vehicle is a C3500 Duramax and her other car is a CTS-V?

what do they call this, compensating?
Is this like the guy that drives a rusty old Chevette with a bumper sticker that says, "My other car is a Ferrari"?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 15:05   #1047

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I'll dip my toes in here about strobes. We left out of Bimini at 8 am. A boat had anchored off the island on the edge in in the channel. I cannot tell you how hard it was to ignor this bright flashing light while threading our way out past a reef, buoys, and other anchored vessels. It stole my night vision ever time it blinked. We were fine, and I could see why ( IN THEORY) the strobe flashing anchored vessel wanted it on, but the reality was it definitely hampered our ability to transit safely, an anchor light, like the other three vessel anchored nearby, would of sufficed.

Also I splash reflective tape on Rain Dog. Two stripes at top of mast and stripes at stanchions, bow sprit, and on our monitor wind vane. but my fav is the windscoop I made...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	116666  
Old 13-01-2016, 15:27   #1048

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I like the wind scoop.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 15:56   #1049

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Hay, anybody seen this boat? I hear it went missing a while back.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 16:03   #1050
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I'll dip my toes in here about strobes. We left out of Bimini at 8 am. A boat had anchored off the island on the edge in in the channel. I cannot tell you how hard it was to ignor this bright flashing light while threading our way out past a reef, buoys, and other anchored vessels. It stole my night vision ever time it blinked. We were fine, and I could see why ( IN THEORY) the strobe flashing anchored vessel wanted it on, but the reality was it definitely hampered our ability to transit safely, an anchor light, like the other three vessel anchored nearby, would of sufficed.

Also I splash reflective tape on Rain Dog. Two stripes at top of mast and stripes at stanchions, bow sprit, and on our monitor wind vane. but my fav is the windscoop I made...

Let me first say I'm not trying to pick a fight, but your gripe about the anchored boat using a strobe mirrors my gripe about anchored and docked boats leaving their AIS on. Every time I looked at my chartplotter it was covered with a message stating there was a boat with their AIS on in my vicinity. I then had to clear the message only to receive another of the same. I'm sure I could have adjusted the settings on the AIS to possibly stop these messages , but to be honest, we have cruised for over two decades without AIS and haven't felt the need for it yet, so I turned it of permanently. AIS was originally intended as a safety device for large commercial vessels but has trickled down to pleasure craft. Used responsibly it is an asset but the use of AIS while anchored in a secure anchorage or at a dock in my opinion is irresponsible.
That being said, I really appreciate all the work you've done to try to locate Dagny, the original purpose of this thread!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote