Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 13:41   #961

Re: Tragedy Strikes.

There are plenty of options that aren't just satellite trackers in case of loss. There's SPOT, AIS, DSC and probably a few more.

The trick is to have them turned on and use them quickly before the boat gets hundreds of miles away.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:16   #962
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not just Kuell, but "Kwells" with a K, a w, and an "s". IIRC Quell is a lice shampoo in the US market.

But the "Boat Command" product is useless except for inshore sailors: "Boat Command transmits your boat’s vital data via cellular towers to our cloud servers" so once you hit something like 16 miles out, your boat goes off the radar (pun intended) and that system is useless. IIRC there are other systems that will use satellite coverage, better suited for boats that may be out of range of cell towers. (Which usually intentionally cut off all signals beyond a 32-mile range, at maximum, regardless of your equipment.)

Easier to put a SPOT on the boat, and leave it plugged into the main battery. Just come back once a day to push the "send breadcrumbs" button.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:17   #963

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

After thinking on this for a while I have realized that many great points have been made here concerning recovering ones boat should an event such as this occur to us. Many inexpensive options are available.

Leaving the AIS and VHF on are now on my list of items to do for sure. In addition we will make sure to use garden type solar lights in our cockpit . While not a perfect solution, it will certainly be an improvement over nothing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-01-2016, 16:19   #964

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
After thinking on this for a while I have realized that many great points have been made here concerning recovering ones boat should an event such as this occur to us. Many inexpensive options are available.

Leaving the AIS and VHF on are now on my list of items to do for sure. In addition we will make sure to use garden type solar lights in our cockpit . While not a perfect solution, it will certainly be an improvement over nothing at all.

Yes, well, just remember the AIS needs to be a transponder type and the VHF has to have DSC with the MMSI programed or all it will do is flatten your batteries.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:32   #965

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post

Yes. And consider a STROBE !!! Uses almost no power and on the masthead can't be seen other than at night and we tend to be ashore during daylight hours only.
And it may not be "colregs" but if Gil had fitted one his vessel would have had attention drawn to it....however removed from its mooring.
This boat left the place in daylight, even if thieves took it.....seriously unlikely, they would never find a well hidden switch.
Davis and others make them....DAYLIGHT STROBES. I'm doing it !!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:50   #966
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I don't think any vessel while sitting stationary should have their AIS on. We purchased a boat that had AIS and I finally disabled it as it was really frustrating having to view the boats that were tied up to the dock and anchored that left their AIS on. If and when they have AIS that would automatically shut of when the boat is stationary and activate when moving then maybe not as bad of an idea to leave it on while anchored.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:53   #967
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

AIS is also a major what 25W draw?

So having a DSC vhf on does what? I honestly havent played with mine much yet. Do the "poll" feature allow other vessels to locate you? Would the the GPS need to be on also?
Old 11-01-2016, 16:57   #968

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
AIS is also a major what 25W draw?
25W? The Vesper XB-8000 black box transponder is 4w average draw with TX enabled.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 17:12   #969
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So what is the range at 4w? I honestly hadn't looked into it but thought it would be the same as a normal vhf when transmitting.
Old 11-01-2016, 17:35   #970

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So what is the range at 4w? I honestly hadn't looked into it but thought it would be the same as a normal vhf when transmitting.
RF output power and power draw from the batteries are two different things. So a 25W transmitter is not drawing 25W from the batteries (necessarily anyway).

The output power of most Class B AIS transmitters is 2W RMS from what I've seen. Lower is allowed. 2W should still get line of site to the horizon in all but the worst weather.

Keep in mind that the transmitter is only on for a brief burst every 30 sec (when underway), so the bulk of the power consumption (the PA) is off most of the time. 4W is the nominal average, so power consumption is higher when actually transmitting and lower in the 30 sec gaps.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 17:37   #971

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Thumbs up Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
RF output power and power draw from the batteries are two different things. So a 25W transmitter is not drawing 25W from the batteries (necessarily anyway).

The output power of most Class B AIS transmitters is 2W RMS from what I've seen. Lower is allowed. 2W should still get line of site to the horizon in all but the worst weather.

Keep in mind that the transmitter is only on for a brief burst every 30 sec (when underway), so the bulk of the power consumption (the PA) is off most of the time. 4W is the nominal average, so power consumption is higher when actually transmitting and lower in the 30 sec gaps.
THANK YOU.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:01   #972

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

But the "Boat Command" product is useless except for inshore sailors: "Boat Command transmits your boat’s vital data via cellular towers to our cloud servers" so once you hit something like 16 miles out, your boat goes off the radar (pun intended) and that system is useless.

Boat Command works well to monitor your boat when you're off it. Which usually means your onshore and the boat is anchored or in a slip near shore. If your anchor drags you can be notified. If someone steals your boat you can monitor its position until it is out of cell range.

You are correct. Out of cell range the thieves/your boat cannot be tracked with Boat Command. But you can keep tabs on it for the first 16 miles or so.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:03   #973

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Yes. And consider a STROBE !!! Uses almost no power and on the masthead can't be seen other than at night and we tend to be ashore during daylight hours only.
And it may not be "colregs" but if Gil had fitted one his vessel would have had attention drawn to it....however removed from its mooring.
This boat left the place in daylight, even if thieves took it.....seriously unlikely, they would never find a well hidden switch.
Davis and others make them....DAYLIGHT STROBES. I'm doing it !!
I don't think strobes are a good idea at all. I was camped near a guy who had a strobe for a camp marker light, about 30' off the ground. The strobe was so annoying to everyone in camp, he nearly got lynched when they finally told him to shut the thing off.

They're astoundingly annoying to everyone within range of it, especially those trying to sleep but who can still see the strobe through their eyelids.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:10   #974

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Boat Command if the boat is 16 miles out is dead but if the boat comes back into tower coverage even if stolen would eventually start working again...correct?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:11   #975

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Boat Command if the boat is 16 miles out is dead but if the boat comes back into tower coverage even if stolen would eventually start working again...correct?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Correct.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote