Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55   #856
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

OceanGirl IS the Ocean!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 13:32   #857

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
OceanGirl IS the Ocean!
Oohhh... the ocean is wide, wet and lumpy. This is not MY picture of Ocean Girl at all...

Jim
Old 04-01-2016, 13:32   #858

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

How bout this?

Please be advised that the 26 ft sailing vessel Dagny has dragged anchor and suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream. She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard, and if possible email the persons below:

SSCA recovery coordinator, Glen KPK@ssca.org
Owner - Gil gil@keskydee.com

Vessel Info
26ft sailboat, Morris Francis, 1977
Flush deck
Light tan deck, white hull with dark green stripes
Double ender
Boom Gallows
Sails stowed on deck
Windvane, stern hung rudder
All ports and hatches closed and locked
Bubble viewing hatch ( companionway slider)
Flying yellow quarantine flag

Dagny was spotted December 23rd at 5:30pm, reported by the USCG, at 27-03.7N 79-16.1W. 24hrs after drifting off. We expect her to drift north up the east coast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	116148  
Old 04-01-2016, 13:42   #859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
How bout this?

Please be advised that the 26 ft sailing vessel Dagny has dragged anchor and suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream. She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard, and if possible email the persons below:

SSCA recovery coordinator, Glen KPK@ssca.org
Owner - Gil gil@keskydee.com

Vessel Info
26ft sailboat, Morris Francis, 1977
Flush deck
Light tan deck, white hull with dark green stripes
Double ender
Boom Gallows
Sails stowed on deck
Windvane, stern hung rudder
All ports and hatches closed and locked
Bubble viewing hatch ( companionway slider)
Flying yellow quarantine flag

Dagny was spotted December 23rd at 5:30pm, reported by the USCG, at 27-03.7N 79-16.1W. 24hrs after drifting off. We expect her to drift north up the east coast.

Well done OG. Ive been watching the thread and since I didn't have anything to contribute further to what was already being contributed I have stayed on the sidelines. I'm very happy to see the thread is back on track. I need not say any more. Great job moderators and all. Thank you. I also want to give a shout out to everyone else that has helped. Many have helped in their own way the best they can. Even the thoughts of good wishes and compassion are worth a tremendous amount. I also know people have contributed in material ways that have been done so without fan fare. You all know who your are and I want to thank you just as another member of this forum. My faith in the goodness of people is strengthened. Thank you all. Now I'll go back to waiting for news one way or the other. And Gil. Please remember that the overwhelming majority are with you.

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 13:49   #860

Boat: Freedom 38

Sorry, I critique documents for a living....these are only suggestions, but generally have found that the most important pieces of information should go in the first sentence. I had assumed that "DAGNY" was CG registered and has a hailing port on the stern, but it doesn't look like it in the picture. If it is Florida registered, that number could be inserted instead.

Please be advised that the 26-ft sailing vessel, DAGNY, (Registration #?) dragged anchor from West End, Bahamas on December 22, 2015, and is suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream, possibly near the U.S. East Coast. She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard with the vessel's coordinates, and the date and time of the sighting. If possible, email this information to the persons below:
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 13:59   #861

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello everyone.

My hat is off to Erika for her help. Being an EU citizen I registered Dagny in the BVI. Port of call is Road Harbour. The ensign flag was up, on top of the small Q flag. The name is on the stern on both sides.

About the engine.. It takes two hands to crank the motor by hand, and a third hand to flip the compression lever at the right time.. Otherwise it is very difficult to start a cold engine by hand. I did not succeed..

Gil

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 14:06   #862
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

FWIW, I've been on a couple of boats ranging from 28' to 45' with inboard diesels, and regardless of the manliness of the biggest gorillas aboard, or the size of the engine, or the number of contortionists required to swing the crank while reaching for the decompression lever...

Hand starting always seemed like a pacifier. Something to give the panic-prone to do, to distract them until some wind came up.

Always VERY much reminded me of the engine start sequence in "Sahara" (the original, not the remake) as they kept on trying cartridges to get that engine started. Except there, they succeeded.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 14:27   #863
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yeah Like gamayun say'd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Sorry, I critique documents for a living....these are only suggestions, but generally have found that the most important pieces of information should go in the first sentence. I had assumed that "DAGNY" was CG registered and has a hailing port on the stern, but it doesn't look like it in the picture. If it is Florida registered, that number could be inserted instead.

Please be advised that the 26-ft sailing vessel, DAGNY, (Registration #?) dragged anchor from West End, Bahamas on December 22, 2015, and is suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream, possibly near the U.S. East Coast. She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard with the vessel's coordinates, and the date and time of the sighting. If possible, email this information to the persons below:
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 15:45   #864

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Excellent, gamayun.
Old 04-01-2016, 15:51   #865

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

While all of my hand crank experience has been with Lister style engines, I can say they work.
Cranked many a pump and compressor by hand.

I was a might tougher in them days.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 04-01-2016, 15:59   #866

Boat: Custom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
FWIW, I've been on a couple of boats ranging from 28' to 45' with inboard diesels, and regardless of the manliness of the biggest gorillas aboard, or the size of the engine, or the number of contortionists required to swing the crank while reaching for the decompression lever...

Hand starting always seemed like a pacifier. Something to give the panic-prone to do, to distract them until some wind came up.

Always VERY much reminded me of the engine start sequence in "Sahara" (the original, not the remake) as they kept on trying cartridges to get that engine started. Except there, they succeeded.

I have never understood why the simple technology of the spring loaded had crank mechanisms on the old farm tractors hasn't been incorporated for marine use. Sure, the operation could easily involve knocking a couple of teeth out if done incorrectly, but it was a sure fire way to crank it up!

I still have the original crank for our 1 cyl Yanmar, but would defy anyone to make use of it. Never going to happen. Tried it for hours a couple years ago when I was in much better shape and never got close. Never failed to get the old Allis-Chalmers tractor banging if there was fuel in the filter.

Hope Dagney is found soon.

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 16:13   #867

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I've debated the value of having one of these for backup/emergency.

Startwell Engineering | The Startwell Mini
Old 04-01-2016, 16:43   #868

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Sounds good Gamayun.

OG, Let me know if you need some help with photo-editing for your poster. I can do that.

Edited to add there's some wonderful positive energy going on here without that negative energy we were experiencing. Thanks Mods! Here's hoping it translates to Dagny being found safe & sound!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:00   #869

Boat: 36' Racer-Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Sounds good Gamayun.

OG, Let me know if you need some help with photo-editing for your poster. I can do that.

Edited to add there's some wonderful positive energy going on here without that negative energy we were experiencing. Thanks Mods! Here's hoping it translates to Dagny being found safe & sound!
Don't some photo-editing programs have an option to turn a photo into a line drawing? If I had the software and the skills, I would try it with some of the photos posted earlier. I think the suggestion to add a line drawing to the flyer is a good one.

OceanGirl, kudos for your efforts on Gil's behalf.

Gil, I really hope you get your boat back. Thanks for sharing your experience and allowing us to learn from it.
BlueSlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:12   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello everyone.

My hat is off to Erika for her help. Being an EU citizen I registered Dagny in the BVI. Port of call is Road Harbour. The ensign flag was up, on top of the small Q flag. The name is on the stern on both sides.

About the engine.. It takes two hands to crank the motor by hand, and a third hand to flip the compression lever at the right time.. Otherwise it is very difficult to start a cold engine by hand. I did not succeed..

Gil

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
How are you making out Gil? Would love an update on your situation apart from the boat. That is of course if your willing to share. If you don't I understand as well.

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote