Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:31   #691

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Any news on Dangy? I had to skip ahead past all the bickering.

Sent from my RCT6077W22 using Tapatalk
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:36   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
As with all CF members, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. Lord knows I offered up mine, and hopefully clearly enough for non-delusional folks to understand. Even though the world now has real-time mass communications, this saga is only one degree of separation away from the Mary Celeste, with a tinge of The Donner Party thrown in for good measure.
How about The Bermuda Triangle?
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:43   #693

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
How about The Bermuda Triangle?
I was initially thinking the same thing. However, the coordinates are a tad off. Couple that with the fact that we have a semi-active OP. That kind of rules out an 'all hands lost' scenario -- the hallmark of a classic Bermuda Triangle event.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:09   #694

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I will not presume to judge as I nearly lost my boat when anchored at Cascais in the 90's.. lucky for me a Portuguese fishing boat nearby sent a boat to grab her...
Same here off Navarre Beach, FL, in nice sandy holding on a sunny day with a zillion swimmers around, one of whom was paying more attention than I was. Mine was a catamaran so it drifted away much faster than some old mono. And more comfortably too. And I was rigged with my standard 5' of chain and Danforth wannabe anchor. Currents happen. Winds shift. Maybe a teenager pulled the anchor. (You know how they are.)

The arguments that have come up are typical of forum life. I confess to sharing a feeling of: DO SOMETHING, GIL! with zero idea of what to do.

I'm loathe to criticize Salty Monkey's approach to the thread but I do think he's been over-the-top in the attempted policing. Gil chose to post here. Organization and help has come along and the word is hopefully out but this is a social forum where modest speculation and gentlemanly criticism is OK. A SAR site, I imagine, has stricter guidelines. SM or anyone else could have started a parallel thread with just one sentence updates, and that would have been helpful to all readers. Steady as she goes SM, my brother.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:16   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Just tried this from my slip here in Titusville. No Ack.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you for trying it! Anyone else out there give it a shot? It's a long one, but at least it's something better than bickering..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
The arguments that have come up are typical of forum life. I confess to sharing a feeling of: DO SOMETHING, GIL! with zero idea of what to do.
I'm "drifting in" here an additional time, ad nauseam, to restate the OBVIOUS. Zero idea of what to do? Are you serious? OK, let's take this "step-by-step" for those of us who might possibly be "common-sense" challenged. The "thing to do", from MOMENT ONE, without hesitation and without a second thought, was to FIND THE LOST BOAT. If it were MY lost boat, that action would not need ANY prompting. In fact, and especially considering that ALL of my "reported" life's possessions are ON that boat, I'd have worked 24-7 (NO SLEEP) in attempting to re-aguire my LOST BOAT. I certainly WOULD NOT take ANY time to post a Greek tragedy story on the Net, nor write colorful prose about my current mental state, Bahama life, or flying fish. I'd be 110% driven to proactively, by WHATEVER means possible (be that ship or plane) find my lost boat .... and f'n PRONTO!!!!!!

I realize that in this modern "group hug" Internet world my actions might seem a bit ODD, but rest assured, they are the ONLY and BEST MEANS of finding my LOST BOAT. To debate it, is nonsense. Anything is possible with the right WILL and DRIVE.

Typical forum life? Yup, you probably have that correct.

In closing, I wouldn't rule out insurance. But then again, I'm over 50, and for longer than I can remember, I believe "half" of what I see and "none" of what I hear or read.

Hope the guy finds his lost boat, if it's lost.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40   #697

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
Thank you for trying it! Anyone else out there give it a shot? It's a long one, but at least it's something better than bickering..
The first bit of real progress since day 2. At least we know where Dangy isn't. Did anyone think to put a picture on the back of milk bottles?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:58   #698

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
...OK, let's take this "step-by-step" for those of us who might possibly be "common-sense" challenged. The "thing to do", from MOMENT ONE, without hesitation and without a second thought, was to FIND THE LOST BOAT. If it were MY lost boat, that action would not need ANY prompting. In fact, and especially considering that ALL of my "reported" life's possessions are ON that boat, I'd have worked 24-7 (NO SLEEP) in attempting to re-aguire my LOST BOAT...
For we who are apparently "common-sense challenged", what pray tell is the advantage of searching for a small unlit boat at night?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:11   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
For we who are apparently "common-sense challenged", what pray tell is the advantage of searching for a small unlit boat at night?
Since you asked, I'll respond. The advantage is the POSSIBILITY of actually (even after dark) finding your LOST BOAT, as opposed to NOT SEARCHING after dark. Not sure if I can spell that out for you any clearer. Now think to yourself for one minute. If you lost ALL your "reported" possessions (sans computer and the clothes on your back, and $100? in your pocket), would you be frantic? I certainly would. Any reasonable person would. It's a given state of the human condition. Any alternative, i.e., posting a tragedy story on the CF or writing prose about flying fish, wouldn't even enter my mind. And I doubt that it would enter yours. I wouldn't sleep till I found my boat. I'm not a detective, yet if I were, my first thought would be "Insurance, perhaps?"
Old 02-01-2016, 06:17   #700

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Quote:
OK, let's take this "step-by-step" for those of us who might possibly be "common-sense" challenged. The "thing to do", from MOMENT ONE, without hesitation and without a second thought, was to FIND THE LOST BOAT.
I seriously doubt if any of us would have considered all the options posted here. I know I might have done some things differently, but I never would have considered everything. And if I was there and almost broke, or had left all money and credit cards on the boat, I know I would not have hired boats and planes to help me until I had the resources to pay for that help.

If anyone, even the most seasoned salt, has not learned something from all the ideas on here, I would be shocked and probably doubt there honesty. Everyone can look back and say how they would have done something different, but in the actual event we all would have missed some opportunity.

I also hope somehow this boat is found and returned to the OP.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24   #701

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The first bit of real progress since day 2. At least we know where Dangy isn't. Did anyone think to put a picture on the back of milk bottles?
That's one of the reasons I suggested the entire East Coast send the ping. The drift analysis is good and all, but there are so many compounding error factors that even though its somewhat likely that the boat is close to the prediction, we might as well at this point be in "dumb luck crazy mode". Meaning it's almost as likely that a whale grabbed the dangling anchor and towed it south, so I figure, why not work it from the elimination angle?

Oh, and just to be pedantic, we haven't actually proved that it's not within VHF range from Titusville. Only that it is not within VHF range from Titusville with the radio on and still on the default setting of auto responding to a DSC request...

It is however slightly more information than was known before, it cost nothing, made someone (including myself) feel like they did something useful to help, and hopefully helps refocus this thread back to the missing boat...
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:24   #702

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

PCM, the OP's behavior has been inconsistent with the alleged incident since day 1. Considering he left on a cruise with $300 in his pocket doesn't say much for his rational behavior though.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I knew it was too good to be true lol.
haha! Ahh, c'mon. I'm still trying to helpful. If not for the OP, for others who might follow in his wake. Cheers.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:31   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
PCM, the OP's behavior has been inconsistent with the alleged incident since day 1. Considering he left on a cruise with $300 in his pocket doesn't say much for his rational behavior though.
Inconsistent? I don't see that at all. I see it all as very consistent. As if very well planned. I won't explain further. I like this forum and don't wish to attract any more attention. Hope the guy finds his boat. Im not clicking the Paypal button.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:32   #705
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not a lot one can do.. she's headed N and the further she goes the worse the weather..
Short of finding someone with a serious sailboat fitted with good radar in the Carolinas prepared to go out far enough and then start a Z search S' wards to the last sighting..
Apart from that.. an accidental find by a boat with enough crew and wto prepared to chance sailing a drifter to the mainland.
Maybe he should join all the forums and post an estimated drift/position forecast then anyone along the way can...
Take the Challenge..
Make it a Utube hit series as each boats attempt is filmed..
All revenue goes in a pot claimed by the salvor
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote