Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 14:57   #511

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
It is pretty easy to rule out theft IMO.

If a crook wanted to take it I imagine they would not bother if they could not crank the motor and would leave the boat making off with his phone and laptop. I enjoy sailing off the hook but I suspect your average boat thief is not that salty.
What about 'drifting' off the hook nice and quietly in what others have said a 5 Knott current until well away from where the noise of the motor would draw attention on a dark night?

What a surprise it would be to not to bright thief (most thieves are not clever people, that's why they thieve) if they then realised a mile out that starting a marine engine is not as easy as turning a key

I would imagine a would be, albeit, not too bright thief may get enough sail going to work out how to point a small vessel to land when they want to get off. Though parking a boat with no engine wouldn't be easy, beaching it if you don't care about it, isn't that hard.

I have no idea if this thing has been stolen, I'm just a little surprised at how quickly it's been discounted. I've not read anything at all to discount the OP's honesty in what he's said and done and seems to me to be acting as any upset owner who's suffered a loss would act. In which case, leaves two scenarios, drifted away or theft. From what the op originally advised I would have jumped to theft, based on what he said about securing it. Now, if it's theft it could be located closer than thought. Just a few cents worth from thousands of miles away.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 15:07   #512

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
T...By the way, Gil, you mentioned paying back loans. I appreciate the sentiment very much, but I for one will only accept repayment in person, with principle paid in beer or wine, and compound interest paid in stories . . . someday, someplace warm, I hope.
I'm in, too, for about two beers and a story. What's funny is I have a highly skeptical nature and an extremely well-tuned BS radar. It's certainly not foolproof, but for those who wondered about ulterior motives on Gil's part, there was never anything here that raised a red flag, which does surprise me. I can't help but think that as a relatively new sailor with ambitious solo sailing plans and probably a small bit of money because it's all getting spent on the boat, "but for the grace of God, go I."

Let (s)he who has never drifted from their anchor cast the first stone
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 15:14   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
...What a surprise it would be to not to bright thief (most thieves are not clever people, that's why they thieve) if they then realised a mile out that starting a marine engine is not as easy as turning a key...
I would posit that most thieves are extremely intelligent; the ones who are in jail and prison, however, are probably not so bright. That's not to say the boat was or was not stolen. I have an opinion, but it's irrelevant to the facts as known.
Old 30-12-2015, 15:24   #514

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I would posit that most thieves are extremely intelligent; the ones who are in jail and prison, however, are probably not so bright. That's not to say the boat was or was not stolen. I have an opinion, but it's irrelevant to the facts as known.
Jail and prison are the same thing. I'd be very interested in why you would 'posit' that 'most thieves are extremely intelligent' it's certainly contrary to my experience. Even the thieves we don't catch don't show signs of any 'intelligence'. There opportunist, often rushed, don't think about what they are doing, leave things behind, including evidence..

Anyway, back to the loss of this vessel
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 15:28   #515

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

A million miles away in Sydney, having consumed 35 pages of comment, that situation has many indications of "drifter".
Fingers crossed Gil.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 15:49   #516
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Gil,
I think it is now in other hands if you ever see your boat again. This fighting is meaningless, and apologies over assumed insults a waste of time. In the meantime, what do you need to make a living? Can you get back to Florida (if you need to) to find another boat? Can you make money there, or do you have to get on French soil? If so Saint Martin may be the next logical step. There are free boats available, if you are good with your hands. There are many here willing to help.
What are your plans Captain?
BTW I would start a blog on what it is like to be washed up on a foreign country and the challenges you meet. That would be useful to future sailors...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:01   #517

Boat: Tartan 37

Since we don't know. What about it started as a theft and now is just a drifting boat with the companionway busted in. A theif didn't swim to the boat, he more than likely got there by a smaller boat. Now let's say they slip the anchor, try to start the boat (nothing is easier than a boat to hot wire), but they couldn't start it. So they bust the companionway in and take what they see as valuable and have the small skiff come in and off they go. Leaving the boat adrift.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:06   #518

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

SV Beth. Dear Doctor. In my opinion offering Mack the olive branch wasnt a waste of time.
Indeed, humbly apologising with many witnesses is something i do again. That said, i will never need to apologise again.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:12   #519

Not being familiar with the West End... Do currents really rip through at 5 knots? That sounds like an insane place to anchor. Is the anchorage subject to such strong tides?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:13   #520

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Here is a copy of the USCG email. I had emailed them a picture of Dagny the day before.

Quote:
Good Evening,

Your vsl has been last seen at 5:20pm in posn 27-03.7n 079-16.1w.

Respectfully,
OS1 Carla Guseilo
CG Sector Miami

Sent: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 22:29:21 +0000 (12/23/2015 05:29:21 PM)
Looks like the CG knew how critical time was in the situation. That e-mail was sent 9 minutes and 21 seconds after the sighting. The position is 26NMi NNW of West End.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:26   #521

Quote:
Jail and prison are the same thing.
Not in the US anyway. Can't speak to your side of the world. FAQ: What's the difference between jail and prison?

Quote:
I'd be very interested in why you would 'posit' that 'most thieves are extremely intelligent' it's certainly contrary to my experience. Even the thieves we don't catch don't show signs of any 'intelligence'.
Everyone leaves evidence behind. It's a smart cop, who can catch a smart thief.

So this is not my line of research, but take a look at the probabilities of capturing people who are identity thieves and scam artists, car/boat/credit card thieves, burglars, bank robbers, and crooked Wall Street bankers, and on; and then tell me what is the percentage of those that get caught and convicted? I'd bet you good money (and just ask my son -- I only bet when it's a sure thing), that less than 5% of the thieves in any of those categories listed are ever brought to justice. That tells me that they are either very smart to be that evasive or else all the cops are just that much dumber, but I like and respect the work that cops do so that can't be an accurate supposition at all . But that's my bias, too. We all got one.

Quote:
There [sic] opportunist, often rushed, don't think about what they are doing, leave things behind, including evidence..
Oh yeah, this thread has **never** gotten off topic till now....
Old 30-12-2015, 16:35   #522

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Not being familiar with the West End... Do currents really rip through at 5 knots? That sounds like an insane place to anchor. Is the anchorage subject to such strong tides?
There is a deep spot to enter the bank right outside the marina and it's about the only place to anchor just outside the marina and yeah, the current rips.
I have great ground tackle and chose not leave my boat out there.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:36   #523

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

A lot more that 5% of the criminals get caught. Criminals might only get caught for 5% of the crimes they commit but they continue until caught.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:46   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
There is a deep spot to enter the bank right outside the marina and it's about the only place to anchor just outside the marina and yeah, the current rips.
I have great ground tackle and chose not leave my boat out there.
WOW I would never leave an unattended anchored boat in a 5 knot current. Isn't there a dock to tie up to for clear in? Or a marina?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:53   #525

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Quote:
WOW I would never leave an unattended anchored boat in a 5 knot current. Isn't there a dock to tie up to for clear in? Or a marina?
There certainly wasn't a 5kts current near the beach where I anchored. The reason I did not go in the marina is that I was not able to start my engine due to an electrical problem. I tried to sail in three times, but could not gather enough speed to make the channel entrance. Every time I got close the wind died because of the proximity to land and I had to turn around.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote