Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 06:57   #1156

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

I realize just guessing but would Gil's boat now be stuck stationary on the east coast of the US or still be drifting out on the open ocean.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 06:58   #1157

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Just lookin' for an update on Gil or his little boat, boats seem to wash up on our beaches here on The Outer Banks of NC occasionally . Last year we only had one, and usually they seem to be from voyagers heading south and either abandoning their vessel or falling overboard. If anyone knows any facts or updates that would be great. It would be good to get this thread back on track as well. Seems those who choose to engage in digressions could either start a new thread or PM each other to their hearts content. Gil please visit and keep us updated. Cheers.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:23   #1158
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What will this weekends storm do to her track? Going I think to be a pretty big storm.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 07:47   #1159

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

This thread was supposed to be all about helping Gil find his boat. And several of you have to take a discussion about anything and take it to a personal political agenda. Go find a political forum and start a new thread. But take it elsewhere. No one wants to read your continued diatribe personal political agenda.

Please everyone, if it's not about finding Gil's boat, drop it. And if you can't do that, go somewhere else.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:06   #1160
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Indeed many of these posts have sailed well off course. Some in the interest of keeping the thread alive and some in the interest of ???? Really, past presidents and health care?
Most of those posts are about to be removed and the thread possibly closed given the amount of work involved in cleaning it up. I'd suggest any more left field comments be made on the appropriate thread topics. (Yes I'm guilty of thread drifting as well)
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:12   #1161

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
This thread was supposed to be all about helping Gil find his boat. And several of you idiots have to take a discussion about anything and take it to a personal political agenda. Go find a political forum and start a new thread. But take it elsewhere. No one wants to read your continued diatribe personal political agenda.

Please everyone, if it's not about finding Gil's boat, drop it. And if you can't do that, go somewhere else.
It's common here for threads to swerve off the "rails" that some folks, apparently including you, think they should remain on. When this inevitably happens, you have four choices, to tell everyone else posting to stick to the subject and post as YOU think they should, you can skip over the off topic stuff and focus on the posts you find most pertinent, you can "ignore" those whom you deem to be the guiltiest parties, or you can unsubscribe from the thread entirely. Unfortunately, at least for now, nobody seems to have any new info or advice that might contribute to Gil and Dagny being reunited so some posters have drifted off topic and committed the sin of posting about other things, such as politics (supposed to be a no-no but started on this thread by a mod) or giving un-asked for advice after the fact, or expressing irritation at other people's posts (you, and now me), none of which did anything to help (or hurt) Gil get his boat back. Sorry that's all I have to offer right now, but if I happen to think of ANYTHING at all that might help Gil find his boat, you can be sure I will mention it in this thread ASAP, and that won't be affected a bit by how many ways or how far this thread goes "off the rails" between now and then.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:18   #1162
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Well.. there's a variety of reasons we veer from time to time.. it 'Bumps' the thread.. gets really boring repeated posts of.. 'You Seen Gil's Boat Yet..?'
Kinda like the crew members constant 'We There Yet..??
And... little things please little minds...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:41   #1163

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Can't wait for it to be found. Best wishes and luck to Gil.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:45   #1164
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Can't wait for it to be found. Best wishes and luck to Gil.
Slightly better odds than winning the Lottery.. just..!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:58   #1165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gil has stated I believe that he had Solar charging his bank, boat was closed up.
So no water ingress and a charged bank to keep the bilge pump working. Assuming Solar stays undamaged, she shouldn't sink, not unless really severe weather?
Where do these lost boats go?
Westsail in the book perfect storm if I remember right washed up in North Carolina, was salvaged and is still out sailing?
Old 20-01-2016, 09:27   #1166

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm guesstimating the odds of finding Dagny are far, far better than winning the lottery.

Say that each year 1,000 boats are lost and only one is found...That's one in a thousand. I think the rate is probably better than this.

For the big prize, the lottery odds of winning are worse than one in one hundred million.

So, I'm guessing that finding Gil's boat is 100,000 times more probable than winning the lottery was.

Note: Only a few mathematicians were hurt in arriving at this estimate. None seriously.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:30   #1167
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think it will be found, may take a few years and...

Be careful what you wish for
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:44   #1168
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I went to my annual FAA Inspectors renewal a week ago, there I learned that every time you board an airliner, you had a 1 in 100 Million chance of being killed.
Lottery at that time was 1 in 250 million.
Depending on where Dagny is, this up coming storm may drive her ashore?
Old 20-01-2016, 09:47   #1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
This thread was supposed to be all about helping Gil find his boat. And several of you have to take a discussion about anything and take it to a personal political agenda. Go find a political forum and start a new thread. But take it elsewhere. No one wants to read your continued diatribe personal political agenda.

Just like your post.

Let's talk about Gil and his boat. It doesn't look like he wants it back, because instead of pursuing it up the east coast, he flew back to France. Logic tells me if he was serious about chasing it down, he'd still be in the part of the world where the boat might be.

Some people might not like to hear that, but why else would someone who could theoretically make money via computer anywhere in the world spend that much money to fly back to France instead of taking the donations and earnings to go to FL or NC and continue the search?

I'm not being negative about him, just being logical about why he left for France. I hope his boat is found, but I feel like he gave up the search before I would have. As others have pointed out, it wasn't an expensive boat and most people probably don't get as attached to things as much as I do.

Now back to the regularly scheduled posts...

Has it been found yet?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 10:10   #1170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Just like your post.

Let's talk about Gil and his boat. It doesn't look like he wants it back, because instead of pursuing it up the east coast, he flew back to France. Logic tells me if he was serious about chasing it down, he'd still be in the part of the world where the boat might be.

Some people might not like to hear that, but why else would someone who could theoretically make money via computer anywhere in the world spend that much money to fly back to France instead of taking the donations and earnings to go to FL or NC and continue the search?

I'm not being negative about him, just being logical about why he left for France. I hope his boat is found, but I feel like he gave up the search before I would have. As others have pointed out, it wasn't an expensive boat and most people probably don't get as attached to things as much as I do.

Now back to the regularly scheduled posts...
Continue the search -- how exactly? Stay in motels along the coast, burning up money, and go out swimming every day hoping to run into the boat, or look longingly at the horizon from various points? Not having any idea even what state he should be in? Obviously pointless.

He did exactly what I would do, which is go home to regroup and earn some money, in order to be ready to fly back and deal with the salvage in case the boat washes up somewhere or is found.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote