Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 04:40   #1081
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

As Exile has illustrated AIS is a great tool when used correctly. I still haven't heard the advantages of using AIS in a secure anchorage or especially at a dock. Collision avoidance? Hopefully someone entering a well known anchorage would have their eyeballs glued on the other boats rather than an electronic screen. I guess it really shouldn't bother me as I wouldn't have one turned on while entering an anchorage anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 04:43   #1082
smj

Looks as if this subject has been pretty well discussed 2.5 years ago.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-103814.html

Old 14-01-2016, 04:51   #1083
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So did anyone figure out if just the DSC VHF can be tracked?

Also, my guess is IF AIS become required as some stage their will be some reasonable size limit. Probably either 26 or 30 feet as those are breaks for other USCG rules and customs decal, etc.
Old 14-01-2016, 05:20   #1084

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I guess it really shouldn't bother me as I wouldn't have one turned on while entering an anchorage anyway.

That is being too principled for me. The last thing I would do upon entering an anchorage is go below and start selectively turning off individual instruments. It would be especially difficult to do if the AIS was wired to the general nav instrument breaker, like many are. Or if it was integral to your VHF.

After being anchored, however, it is a different matter.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:29   #1085
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That is being too principled for me. The last thing I would do upon entering an anchorage is go below and start selectively turning off individual instruments. It would be especially difficult to do if the AIS was wired to the general nav instrument breaker, like many are. Or if it was integral to your VHF.

After being anchored, however, it is a different matter.

Mark

Ok, I'll change my statement😁. I probably wouldn't have it turned on anyway if I owned one. I would find the AIS useful for a night crossing of the Gulf Stream going to or coming back from the Bahamas, or a long offshore trip. For day trips or gunk holing I wouldn't find it useful and probably distracting.

Old 14-01-2016, 05:32   #1086

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Funny, we find ours most useful around coastlines and congested waters and least useful offshore.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:40   #1087
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Question:

Would it be possible for AIS receivers to have a setting which would filter out targets which are NOT on a collision course? The software would follow and compute and update as vessels in range changed course or speed. Some would "go off" when there was no longer a collision situation in the making... and some would "go on" when they became a potential collision????

Obviously this would be a setting that the user programmed (turn on) when there was too much distracting clutter on the screen.

Would this make sense?

That is exactly how my Vesper acted right out of the box, targets that are not on a collision course with me, or a CPA within 1 mile actually, just appear as light grey, you can barely see them, ones that are going to run me over, appear in red, with a redline extending from them showing their course.
Only the ones that are going to run me over set off an alarm and are displayed in red.
Stationary targets of course aren't going to run me over, so even if there were a hundred boats all with their AIS on in the anchorage and Marina, nothing happens.

Really this is like complaining about how much noise your VHF makes is annoying so you keep it off, instead of learning how to use the squelch.

For me, knowing that ship or boat ahead is not moving and is at anchor is important too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:46   #1088
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I guess also where I go aren't usually any real official "anchorages", usually I'm the only boat there, like the backside of Dog Island for instance for those that have been there, being the only guy there, I'm well lit at night and have my AIS on too.
Now if your tucked into the middle of a gaggle of boats, that's different.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:55   #1089

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is exactly how my Vesper acted right out of the box, targets that are not on a collision course with me, or a CPA within 1 mile actually, just appear as light grey, you can barely see them, ones that are going to run me over, appear in red, with a redline extending from them showing their course.
Only the ones that are going to run me over set off an alarm and are displayed in red.
Stationary targets of course aren't going to run me over, so even if there were a hundred boats all with their AIS on in the anchorage and Marina, nothing happens.

Really this is like complaining about how much noise your VHF makes is annoying so you keep it off, instead of learning how to use the squelch.

For me, knowing that ship or boat ahead is not moving and is at anchor is important too.
Exactly how mine works too, except the targets outside the range I've set appear green, the threatening ones red like yours (and probably everyone's), and then they'll finally flash red along with sounding the alarm. All completely settable & adjustable from my chartplotter at the helm. It's a Comar receive-only unit for $150 that was an easy self-install. And I agree with Mark that it's most useful in congested areas, although also nice to have in more open water, especially because of its long range. You adjust your proximity settings/alarms accordingly.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:17   #1090
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Good to know. Sounds as if the AIS you have is light years ahead of the one we had.

Old 14-01-2016, 06:26   #1091
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Okay.. OKAY....!!
We Get It..!!
ALL HAIL A bludi IS.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worship_tnb.png
Views:	196
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	116699  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:31   #1092
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Anyone who sails areas with inadequate ground tackle is an accident waiting to happen..
Never ceases to amaze me the folk who cruise waters with coral heads, rocks etc only use a few metres of chain then just rope..
Dagney was NOT unlucky.. he was like many wanna be's and cruisers.. an Accident waiting to happen.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 07:09   #1093
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Looks as if this subject has been pretty well discussed 2.5 years ago.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-103814.html

+1 Very annoying.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:46   #1094

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Let me first say I'm not trying to pick a fight, but your gripe about the anchored boat using a strobe mirrors my gripe about anchored and docked boats leaving their AIS on. Every time I looked at my chartplotter it was covered with a message stating there was a boat with their AIS on in my vicinity. I then had to clear the message only to receive another of the same. I'm sure I could have adjusted the settings on the AIS to possibly stop these messages , but to be honest, we have cruised for over two decades without AIS and haven't felt the need for it yet, so I turned it of permanently. AIS was originally intended as a safety device for large commercial vessels but has trickled down to pleasure craft. Used responsibly it is an asset but the use of AIS while anchored in a secure anchorage or at a dock in my opinion is irresponsible.
That being said, I really appreciate all the work you've done to try to locate Dagny, the original purpose of this thread!i

No it does not mirror the strobe light, I couldn't turn his light off, I can filter out stationary vessels on my AIS. :-) .
Old 14-01-2016, 08:52   #1095

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Just a quick reminder for the new folks peeking at this thread

Please be advised that the 26-ft sailing vessel, DAGNY, dragged anchor from West End, Bahamas on December 22, 2015. Dagny is suspected to be drifting north in the Gulf Stream, possibly near the U.S. East Coast. *She is showing no lights and is a hazard to navigation.

Contact info
If sighted, please contact the Coast Guard, and if possible email the persons below:

SSCA recovery coordinator, Glen KPK@ssca.org
Owner - Gil gil@keskydee.com

Vessel Info
26ft sailboat, Morris Francis, 1977
Flush deck
Light tan deck, white hull with dark green stripes
Double ender
Boom Gallows
Sails stowed on deck
Windvane, stern hung rudder
All ports and hatches closed and locked
Bubble viewing hatch ( companionway slider)
Flying yellow quarantine flag

Dagny was spotted December 23rd at 5:30pm, reported by the USCG, at 27-03.7N 79-16.1W. 24hrs after drifting off.
Estimated drift location per weather router Chris Parker
5pm on Wednesday December 30, 30-50N/80-56W,
5pm on Thursday, December 31, near 30-59N/80-50W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	116705