Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 22:14   #946

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Funny the way my brain works.
The more mistakes I make the more my hindsight/wisdom improves.
Possibly only me.
Laura. (a.c.)

I seldom make serious mistakes when I am nappin'. I have to take steps to make mis-steps.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 09-01-2016, 22:24   #947

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

YES !!!
ME TOO !!
Thank you Lord, eye ain't aylone.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:09   #948

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Funny the way my brain works.
The more mistakes I make the more my hindsight/wisdom improves.
Possibly only me.
Laura. (a.c.)
Good judgement helps me avoid making stupid mistakes. My good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately most of the relevant experience results from me making stupid mistakes.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
www.bobandmarilyn.ca
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:19   #949

Boat: Tartan 37

Experience is something you get, shortly after you need it.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:37   #950

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
Ocean Girl,

Great work collecting and stimulating the rest of us!! Some really great ideas have sprung up.

NOAA's Ocean Prediction Center issues an experimental comparison report weekly. The recent one, Jan 7, is attached.

Looks like good news when in conjunction with Chris Parker's comments and the gentle onshore flow projected for the next five days.

With Dagny' s tiny size, low freeboard and poor radar return, it is going to take eyeballs within 3 miles to spot her. With a lot of luck and the current forecasts, the 3 mile distance may include shore sightings in the next several days.

Are there points of contact of resources capable of responding to a sighting? We may have family resources coming available in the Titusville area within the next several days.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Yes, the folks to contact is coast guard, then Glenn at SSCA ( KPK@ssca.org), then Gil ( gil@keskydee.com) .

We do have a list of resources ready to deploy when dagny is spotted . These resources are scattered along the east coast, so the odds are a bit slim but ya never know. We would but a big call out for help once Dagny is located.

If you want yo offer your vessel for service if dagny is spotted near your port, just pm me with your name, contact( email or phone), and area you are willing to travel, you distance limit, etc. I'll add you to our resource list. if dagny is spotted near you, we will contact you to see if you are able to help recover her. This is not a promissory list, just a possible resource list.
Thanks!!
Erika
Old 10-01-2016, 11:44   #951

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

No luck off Cape Henry, this weekend. I am now back early due to high winds and a gale warning. Sorry
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:22   #952

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiegener View Post
Oceangirl, you have been great and I hope its appreciated. Im a little confused as to why Gil is not taking more of a lead in finding his own boat. I would think he should be here working to try to recover it himself. If it was my boat I would be doing everything you are doing myself. Is he working with you on any of this?
Gil, IS doing a lot, but I'm sure not as much as he wishes he could do. But really, there is only so much you can do when stranded in a new country with just whatever you brought ashore to check in. Not hearing from Gil here does not mean he is not working to get dagny back, this thread has pretty much done what Gil sent it out to do, get help, get the word out.

Glenn the recovery coordinator is doing all the heavy lifting, he has a fantastic network of resources through SSCA. I'm just a peripheral helper, it may seem like I'm heavily involved but I'm not, just trying to use what resources I can muster up to help.

The mass email we are working on is best done stateside, Gil offered to help, but I thought is easier for Ted( another volunteer ) and I to do it, because we have more reliable internet and have and know the active captain program.

One thing I see getting out if all this is a basic foundation of resources we can use if/when this happens again. We will be able to get up and running much faster.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:23   #953

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
No luck off Cape Henry, this weekend. I am now back early due to high winds and a gale warning. Sorry

Thank you so much for looking out for Dagny!
Old 10-01-2016, 13:00   #954

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Glenn the recovery coordinator is doing all the heavy lifting, he has a fantastic network of resources through SSCA. I'm just a peripheral helper, it may seem like I'm heavily involved but I'm not, just trying to use what resources I can muster up to help.
Learning about SSCA's generous & critical role in this effort has persuaded me to renew my now expired membership. And thank you OG -- you have quite obviously done a LOT of work.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:03   #955

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Yep. Admirably compassionate.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 13:27   #956

Boat: Formosa 41

Mrs Flare and I just did a run, in the daylight, from Winyah Bay entrance to Charleston. We kept our eyes open but there's a lot of area out here.

We're visiting friends in Charleston. Next run will hopefully be Charleston to Fernandina Beach, about 150 miles which roughly translates to 30 hours.

Please put us on the list as someone who would be happy to recover Dagney when spotted, provided we're in her general area. Let me if you would like our cell #. I'll PM it to you.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 00:06   #957

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Mrs Flare and I just did a run, in the daylight, from Winyah Bay entrance to Charleston. We kept our eyes open but there's a lot of area out here.

We're visiting friends in Charleston. Next run will hopefully be Charleston to Fernandina Beach, about 150 miles which roughly translates to 30 hours.

Please put us on the list as someone who would be happy to recover Dagney when spotted, provided we're in her general area. Let me if you would like our cell #. I'll PM it to you.
Thank you very much for your generous offer. I'm sure someone back East will get back to you. However, even as far away as we are, we appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure Gil does, as well.

Ann
Old 11-01-2016, 02:19   #958

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello everyone.

Just a quick note to let you all know that I am back in France. I will be posting about my impressions later, but it won't be sailing related, so I won't post the link here. Thanks again everyone for your help! I have run out of ideas at to what to do next. The emails from Ocean Girl were a great idea and I brought my friend Ted on board to help. I do now have a reliable Internet connection...

Gil

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:32   #959

Your loss is making me consider a satellite transponder that I can hide on my vessel. What an awful story, hope it turns up in usable condition.
Viedeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:34   #960

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viedeau View Post
Your loss is making me consider a satellite transponder that I can hide on my vessel. What an awful story, hope it turns up in usable condition.
Check this out. We have it and we love it:

https://boatcommand.com/
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote