Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 05:10   #1

TowBoatUS

Hi
First time on ICW and not a regular on here and some help please.

I will be travelling south on the ICW via Dismal Swamp, from Chesapeake to Georgia in January. (45ft monohull).

I'm considering buying TowBoatUS membership but they've not responded to my question...

"Does the TowBoatUS "Inland Lakes and Rivers (Freshwater)" cover me on the ICW down to Georgia"

Their FAQs say Freshwater covers you until the water is brackish ....Anyone cast light on how/when TowBoatUS decide where its brackish????

Thanks
Dave
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:27   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: TowBoatUS

I've found that the $160 is the best value I've gotten for money spent on the boat.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:31   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wouldn't think the inland river and lakes plan would cover the ICW. I'd spring for the saltwater plan and know you're covered anywhere you might need it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:34   #4

Thanks for the replies, Yes the saltwater plan would be good but Ill only be in the US for a month so it works out at $40 /week
Old 11-12-2020, 05:39   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

For the ICW Transit, what you need is the TowBoatUS Unlimited Salt Water Towing & Membership Package (see BoatUS Towing).

In addition to towing, when needed, there are other benefits that are useful on such a transit including discounts on fuel and transient marina fees at cooperating marinas.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Thanks for the replies, Yes the saltwater plan would be good but Ill only be in the US for a month so it works out at $40 /week

Services for one good grounding or a mechanical failure/malfunction will cost more than the BoatUS Policy. Look also at the coverage areas included as they may be greater than you realize.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-12-2020, 05:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Services for one good grounding or a mechanical failure/malfunction will cost more than the BoatUS Policy. Look also at the coverage areas included as they may be greater than you realize.
Thanks
Is there a chart of areas covered as I can't find it?
Old 11-12-2020, 05:58   #8

Quote:
Thanks
Is there a chart of areas covered as I can't find it?

Read the coverage agreement. That describes the areas/locales included for coverage. (Note too that the discounts on fuel, accommodation and services at the cooperating marinas et al on your trip, if you take advantage of them--we do--can largely off-set the cost of the membership.)

FWIW...
Old 11-12-2020, 06:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Read the coverage agreement. That describes the areas/locales included for coverage. (Note too that the discounts on fuel, accommodation and services at the cooperating marinas et al on your trip, if you take advantage of them--we do--can largely off-set the cost of the membership.)

FWIW...
Okay thank you
Old 11-12-2020, 07:14   #10

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Why limit yourself to one tow service? There are wide spans of the ICW where they can’t, won’t or arent readily nearby to render service if needed. Having done that trip numerous times, choosing one tow company is a self-inflicted problem easily avoidable.
Simply add tow insurance to your existing coverage. - far cheaper than any tow company, no deductible and if you do ever need help, the resultant insurance reimbursement won’t result in raising your insurance rate.

If you need a tow, simply call any service within range and watch them race each other to your rescue.

It is the proverbial ‘no- brainer’.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Why limit yourself to one tow service? There are wide spans of the ICW where they can’t, won’t or arent readily nearby to render service if needed. Having done that trip numerous times, choosing one tow company is a self-inflicted problem easily avoidable.
Simply add tow insurance to your existing coverage. - far cheaper than any tow company, no deductible and if you do ever need help, the resultant insurance reimbursement won’t result in raising your insurance rate.

If you need a tow, simply call any service within range and watch them race each other to your rescue.

It is the proverbial ‘no- brainer’.
I've not heard about adding tow cover to your insurance policy and with a UK insurance I don't think that's an option.

I thought the tow boat scheme would be the water equivalent of our UK car breakdown cover where any of the providers cover the whole of the UK.

Its interesting you say that wide parts of the ICW are not covered and without a familiar knowledge of the ICW. Other than reading all the small print, how do you know where is and where is not covered? Would be logical to have a chart/map showing; covered not covered/Freshwater/saltwater
Old 11-12-2020, 13:10   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
I've not heard about adding tow cover to your insurance policy and with a UK insurance I don't think that's an option.

I thought the tow boat scheme would be the water equivalent of our UK car breakdown cover where any of the providers cover the whole of the UK.

Its interesting you say that wide parts of the ICW are not covered and without a familiar knowledge of the ICW. Other than reading all the small print, how do you know where is and where is not covered? Would be logical to have a chart/map showing; covered not covered/Freshwater/saltwater
One of the advantages of universal insurance compared with any single tow service is it doesn’t matter where we are - as long as some tow company is within reach, we are covered by simply adding that to our standard boat insurance policy.
Frabkly, I’m surprised underwriters in the U.K. or elsewhere don’t offer this.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat