Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 18:48   #31

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Re: Too Deep Anchorages ???

15-30' deep?

Man dont come to SE Asia ...... 7-12 meteres is considered norm. Not uncommon for 15-18m.

I have a 100m of chain and there are days i whish i had more...

I agree with Jim, id rather have that windlass than lots of other things. I singlehand alot and carry a spare windlass motor and relay box.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 21:34   #32

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
15-30' deep?

Man dont come to SE Asia ...... 7-12 meteres is considered norm. Not uncommon for 15-18m.

I have a 100m of chain and there are days i whish i had more...

I agree with Jim, id rather have that windlass than lots of other things. I singlehand alot and carry a spare windlass motor and relay box.
30 feet? Really? Best stay clear of Marlborough NZ too mate. 20 meters norm (60 ft). 40 meters if you have to anchor out. 3:1 rode depth ratio is OK though, unlike the 5:1 or 7:1 sometimes recommended. Minimum 150 meters of chain.

Use an line with a hook (to hook the chain) on the sheet winch if (when) the windlass craps out. Motor to deeper water once the hook is off the bottom, and carry on winching, trotting forward unhooking and re-attaching the hook, trotting back, and winching again at a more leisurely pace!

I've always assumed any other cruising ground where the geography is formed by glacial activity would be similar or deeper.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 22:31   #33

Nothing mystical or nefarious.

On the ICW, there simply aren't a lot of well protected anchorages in more than 20' of water. The ones that are there tend to be exposed to a fetch or to passing boat wakes.

By tucking up into a little side channel or slough, you can often get away from that. I'd much rather anchor in 6' of water with 6" waves when it's blowing 25kts than in 30' of water with 6' waves in the exposed deep water anchorage.

Also, many of the anchorages are either crowded or just generally small. If you anchor in a side channel that's 60' wide, you need to consider 2nd anchors if the water is 30' deep or you are likely to bump the sides when the wind/current shifts. As an example, when we visited boot key harbor on year, it was absolutely packed. Lots of boats came in, looked for a spot and then left (mooring balls were full). We on the other hand tucked up on the edge in 3-4' of water.

Give us some examples, where you think there is a great deep water anchorages but people go to a nearby shallow anchorage. I'm sure there are some but can't think of one off the top of my head.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:14   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

30 ft is not deep in my experience but different factors such as current & bottom are more important.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:34   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

30' is deep for me, but not too deep. I routInely anchor in 10' to 20', occasionally up to 60'. I suspect I'll have to get used to deeper norms as we move east.

I love anchoring close in to shore when no one else is around. Love swinging within 10' of rocky shores. But if it's crowded (as I've gotten used to down here in these southern Great Lakes), then I'd rather be further out (and deeper).
Old 10-07-2017, 10:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Dunno about that, mate! When we left SF in 1986, windlasses were common in the cruising fleet, except for the few really small yachts... and we were not sailing a rich man's toy, nor were most of our fellow cruisers heading for Mexico.

And no, they are not cheap, but what is on a cruising yacht? I know that I'd rather have a good windlass than fancy electronics!

Jim

Jim
Yeah, I was on a base budget in 1985 on a Rawson 30. I had a SL manual windlass. Everyone I knew at 30 ft or up had one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I was on a base budget in 1985 on a Rawson 30. I had a SL manual windlass. Everyone I knew at 30 ft or up had one.

Fun... I forgot to add I have a manual windlass. I guess I'm on a base budget as well [emoji6]. Works fine -- love it. The old bronze Plath has no problem lifting our 25 kg anchor with all 3/8" chain. Might take me a bit longer to haul up, but I'm rarely in much of a hurry.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:32   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Mike OReilly;243058 Might take me a bit longer to haul up, but I'm rarely in much of a hurry.[/QUOTE]

That will be a problem someday and it wouldn't be a fun event
Old 10-07-2017, 13:07   #39

Too Deep Anchorages ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That will be a problem someday and it wouldn't be a fun event

Not sure if your response is to me Don, but I rank my risk of getting into problems with my manual windless lower than relying on an electric.

On the scale of simplicity, serviceability and reliability I'd rank it higher than most electrics. How many threads have we seen over the years about problems with electrics (isn't there one going right now?). Now, how many with problems with their manual windlasses. I know... numbers are not the same, but still...

The only thing mine lacks is speed, but in reality it's only about twice as slow as most electrics I've seen. If that's the difference that makes my problem un-fun, then I'm probably already doomed.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:35   #40

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

There are so many factors that make a "good" anchorage. And they're highly dependent on weather conditions, type of boat, how many other boats are likely to show up, and one's own preference for solitude.

Geography is also highly variable. What's great in South Florida isn't what we'd be looking for in Maine. Up here we've got these things called "rocks." I got a chuckle from the comment about 6' tides. There are lots of places here and in the Canadian Maritimes where it's 20' and more. With equally large currents.

And don't forget mooring fields, proximity to boat ramps used by local bass fishermen, shoreside industry, commercial traffic, prevailing winds, reversing currents, lobster or crab trap buoys, bottom composition, etc.

My point is, many local factors are taken into account in ActiveCaptain reviews. If a spot looks good on the chart, but nobody anchors there, consider that there might be a good reason.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:16   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not sure if your response is to me Don, but I rank my risk of getting into problems with my manual windless lower than relying on an electric.

On the scale of simplicity, serviceability and reliability I'd rank it higher than most electrics. How many threads have we seen over the years about problems with electrics (isn't there one going right now?). Now, how many with problems with their manual windlasses. I know... numbers are not the same, but still...

The only thing mine lacks is speed, but in reality it's only about twice as slow as most electrics I've seen. If that's the difference that makes my problem un-fun, then I'm probably already doomed.
What he means, is that when you get out and begin moving around more frequently and encouter weather and other boats dragging, sometimes speed becomes an issue for you to be able to up and leave in a hurry. I can always use my manual over-ride to my electric windlass, but you can't use electric to over-ride your manual set up.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:45   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What he means, is that when you get out and begin moving around more frequently and encouter weather and other boats dragging, sometimes speed becomes an issue for you to be able to up and leave in a hurry. I can always use my manual over-ride to my electric windlass, but you can't use electric to over-ride your manual set up.

Right... OK Ken, I'm on my boat at least six months a year. i almost never go to a marina, so anchored out all the time when not moving. I've travelled a few thousand nm over the past few years, experiencing everything from wild remote anchorages to places that were more like parking lots. Dealt with lots of storms and sliding boats in all sort of holding conditions

So, you tell me... when have I "gotten out" enough to have an informed opinion on this?

Like I said to Don, I deem my manual windlass to be more reliable and easier maintainable than electrics. Therefore I think I am in a safer position. And your speed argument is infinitely regressive. More speed is always better. You are in a worse position than the fellow with twice the speed as yours. Does this make you less safe?

My observation is that it takes me only about twice as long to haul in, so we're talking the difference of a few minutes. That's a pretty narrow 'doom' range. Meanwhile I have a more reliable, less costly windlass that has never let me down in the hundreds of launches and hauls we've done with it.

But what do I know...
Old 11-07-2017, 08:30   #43

Too Deep Anchorages ???

I go for the shallowest anchorage I can manage for a different reason. With a 3' draft, tucked in shallow, there are fewer boats that could get close to bump me. Even those that can get close likely have a depth alarm going off well beforehand.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I am unhappy when water is deeper than 20 meters (that's about 65 feet). No anchor winch here, and so I must lift the anchor and the chain (it is all chain) by hand.

Up to about 40 ft of water I am as happy as a lark.

I think boats with electric winches do not care. Or do they?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 19:00   #45

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Right... . I've travelled a few thousand nm over the past few years, experiencing everything from wild remote anchorages to places that were more like parking lots. Dealt with lots of storms and sliding boats in all sort of holding conditions
So, you tell me... when have I "gotten out" enough to have an informed opinion on this? But what do I know...
You should be way more humble, "a few thousand miles"? What do you know?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages