Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03   #16

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Too Deep Anchorages ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...ICW from SC to Florida...good looking anchorages are getting unused...because they are "deep"...
Where exactly? When we ICWd the Norfolk/Beaufort stretch and chunks between Miami and Jacksonville, our problem was most often in finding a spot off the ICW that wasn't too shallow for our 6' draft. We did very little of the SC to Florida stretch of ICW, not least because it appeared that without working the tides the channel often seemed somewhat shallow for us. I don't recall our getting so far as to review potential anchorages, but given the general water depths, an abundance of 50' deep anchorages seems somewhat unlikely; even the ocean depths for the first twenty miles or so offshore were predominantly less than fifty feet.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:59   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Hey they are right on the charts, take a real look (but keep in mind that you applied the media news rules to your use of the 50)
Old 09-07-2017, 13:27   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
I'm looking at coming down the ICW from SC to Florida and am looking at ActiveCaptain for anchorages. It just seems to me that good looking anchorages are getting unused and near as I can guess it's because they are "deep". When I say deep I mean 15-30, which isn't deep to me. Instead it seems people like to cut through some narrow 7' opening into a "nice" narrow anchorage where the water is 9' deep.

I don't get this "logic". To me it is much better to be in a 15-30' (I'm good with a 50' deep anchorage in settled conditions) spot with a wide area around it in case of a problem than it is to be in a 9-10' spot where you can spit to the shore. What difference does it make to me that I drop 150' of chain instead of 60'? Plus the closer to shore the more bugs get a free meal.
From Biscane Bay south you will not find many 30' deep anchorages. If you found some on Active Captain you had best double check. There is good reason why many boaters believe a draft of 5' is about maximum for the Keys. Lots of shallow water. If you want deep drop offs try Maine.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 13:48   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: My first long trip. Maine to Florida as a first mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippydelaney View Post
calling myself a first mate is a long stretch. I'm still learning the cleat from the galley, but I have a good captain and willing to learn. Too bad for him.

I must admit that I'm a little nervous about the trip and would like some advise from you that would aid me along the way.

We are going down the waterway....
Thank you in advance.
Forgot to mention we are both 75...
There are a few marinas but anchoring is very easy. Just find a spot right off the ICW (say 10' or so from a marker) where the MLW is a few feet deeper than your draft and set bow and stern anchors . The tidal range is generally under 3' so you don't need much slack in your lines. An easy way is to set both anchors, pull the bow line snug then measure 3' up from the stern cleat and tie that line at your mark.Your only problem might be bugs depending on the season or motorboat wakes. The ICW is a very nice scenic trip. Enjoy!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 14:05   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What Stu said. The first time I had to haul up over 100' by hand, I developed a sudden admiration for anchoring in ten feet of water.

Go back 30 years, and windlasses, even manual windlasses, were mainly found on rich mens' toys. Still ain't cheap, even if they've become a more common sight.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 14:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Do you have a windlass? I don't, and just moved to British Columbia from N. California. 12 feet to 30 feet makes a BIG difference to my arms & shoulders.
Yep and sometimes up here it's more like 50 ft!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 14:51   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What Stu said. The first time I had to haul up over 100' by hand, I developed a sudden admiration for anchoring in ten feet of water.

Go back 30 years, and windlasses, even manual windlasses, were mainly found on rich mens' toys. Still ain't cheap, even if they've become a more common sight.
I've needed to haul up 150ft of chain attached to a 100 pound Ultra a few times now by hand in 40ft of water when the windlass overheated and shut off.

A good time was had by all. Doable, but it takes a while and the wind needs to be blowing the right way.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 15:39   #23

Boat: Albin 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
An easy way is to set both anchors, pull the bow line snug then measure 3' up from the stern cleat and tie that line at your mark.
I wish I understood what this means. I've never set a stern anchor and I am planning an ICW voyage from Lake Ontario. I have a 22 lb Rocna-type up front and a 10 lb and 22 lb claw in the hold. My boat is 25 feet and about 6,000 lbs. I have a windlass on the bow. And friggin delighted to have it!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 15:57   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Dunno about that, mate! When we left SF in 1986, windlasses were common in the cruising fleet, except for the few really small yachts... and we were not sailing a rich man's toy, nor were most of our fellow cruisers heading for Mexico.

And no, they are not cheap, but what is on a cruising yacht? I know that I'd rather have a good windlass than fancy electronics!

Jim

Jim
Old 09-07-2017, 16:15   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
I wish I understood what this means. I've never set a stern anchor and I am planning an ICW voyage from Lake Ontario. I have a 22 lb Rocna-type up front and a 10 lb and 22 lb claw in the hold. My boat is 25 feet and about 6,000 lbs. I have a windlass on the bow. And friggin delighted to have it!
All the way from Salem MA to George Town Bahamas and now back up Beaufort SC the only boats i've seen using a stern anchor have been derelict boats. It is exactly places that "require" a stern anchor to prevent swinging into shore with current that I question.
Old 09-07-2017, 16:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
All the way from Salem MA to George Town Bahamas and now back up Beaufort SC the only boats i've seen using a stern anchor have been derelict boats. It is exactly places that "require" a stern anchor to prevent swinging into shore with current that I question.
I don't see an issue with shallow anchorages. Many times on the ICW we have pulled over to the side and dropped an anchor on shore in skinny stretches. We also routinely run our boat into mud at low tide, anchor and leave when the tide pops us out.

this photo is at the very bottom of Cape May harbour south of the the yacht club in less than 3' of water at low tide. (we draw 3').
Old 09-07-2017, 17:22   #27

For a really good guide to intercoastal anchorages on the ICW, get yourself a copy of " On the Water Chart Guides ", by Mark and Diana Doyle.
Volume 1- Anchor guide for the ICW- Norfolk to Beaufort SC
Volume 2- Anchor guide for the ICW- Hilton Head to Miami
Also add in "Cruise Guide for the ICW" by the same authors and you have the best there is ( in my opinion)

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 17:48   #28

Boat: Presto 36

I cruise the Southeastern Coast of the US whose great western indention, is called the GA Bight. It is this inward curve of the shore that funnels the tide into greater heights and currents than anywhere else on the US Eastern seaboard. Our tides average 6 to 8 feet each day and our currents thru our shallow sounds and rivers and large creeks can be extremely dangerous to the unwary, especially when the wind is countering. In anchoring in narrow rivers and creeks I always anchor bow and stern to prevent swinging into the bank or becoming a hazard to other vessels' transit.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 17:59   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, SailorBoy1,

I concur with your thinking. 15-30 ft is just fine for anchoring, and where the holding is good, will (with adequate scope) hold in over 50 knots. If you prefer to have space around you rather than be crowded into a tiny space, I think that's evidence of good sense. If there is no reasonably deep water, then you have to cope with each one as it comes.... Furthermore, you and your good lady are the ones whose sleep is in order: therefore you get to choose. Even if you get a majority opinion for seeking out shallow, overcrowded spots, ignore others' opinions and follow your own logic.

Ann
Old 09-07-2017, 18:19   #30

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, SailorBoy1,

I concur with your thinking. therefore you get to choose. Even if you get a majority opinion for seeking out shallow, overcrowded spots, ignore others' opinions and follow your own logic.
Ann
It's not a logic thing, there are not any 30' anchorages. The ICW is inland coastal travel. There is no place to anchor on the ocean side, it's the ICW or nothing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages