Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 10:54   #61
LSI

Re: To Rename a Boat

I used to think the same. For me it was tradition but over time it became less important knowing where my believes are. Everybody has to work with their own 'fear', which superstition will produce. I think people have to grow in their own speed, what is right for us, is not for others. Time will tell regardless their beliefs. Rain drops on all people, and the right weather will bring it out.
LSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 12:19   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
How to Rename a Boat

1. Remove all traces of the current name.
  2. Begin the purging ceremony.
  3. Begin the renaming ceremony.
  4. Appease the four wind gods.
  5. If you have champagne left, indulge in honor of completing the ceremony.
1. Remove all traces of the current name.

?
I followed this process and have had not seen any problems.
Suggest you Tell your boy friend that when enjoying a different culture he needs to follow the customs of the culture. It is the Mark of a seasoned traveler. 😜
jfyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 21:08   #63

Boat: Aquarius, 21

One thing I've not seen anyone mention, the eipr.
If your boat has an emergency beacon on it there are some VERY important changes to be made in its reqestration.
Name of owner is just one important item but included in the form is the boat's name because that's probably what you would respond to on a radio call.

I renamed my Aquarius as there was no name visible. So given the Model name we picked "StarShine". ("Good morning star shine").
No big ceremony and the little sloop has carried me safely through some pretty nasty stuff on a really large lake in Minnesota, Ontario, and Manitoba a few times as well as well off of Key West.
OK, I DID drink a toast or 10 after placing her name on her.....grin.
RadioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 21:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Pour the shot of rum into each other and toast to the new name you have decided on. Something related to the mermaids?
That makes the most sense--- run it thru yourselves before you pour it overboard....
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 05:37   #65

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
Oh for Christ's sake. Cowboy up and put a name on the dam thing. Just make sure that its non racial and gender neutral.
Dogscout "gender neutral" are you kidding me. The number of boats out there that are named in HONOR of people that we love (who may have been cursed to have an actual gender) is too numerous to count. Please cowperson away with that foolishness.
NautiDog426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 06:41   #66

Boat: 35' sloop

Well now, Ed Teach did that to La Concorde, and look what hapened to him.
Personally, a little rum for the boat, my first mate, and the gods of the sea worked for me.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 21:32   #67

I always find this topic fascinating. Sure a small ceremony can’t hurt, but ask 5 different “old salts” from 5 different parts of just this country and everyone will give you a different answer and process.

Enjoy your new purchase. Take care of her, treat her like family, learn what she loves, and hates. Respect her what she can and can’t do and her relationship with Mother Nature, and everything will be fine.

This of course IMHO.
Benjamin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 05:02   #68

Boat: Broom 39

The traditional Breton / Norman French way is as follows. Every boat has its sea serpent that follows in its wake. Change the name and the boat has two such serpents and they are in conflict with each other. So you go to sea with your trusty old shotgun, before you change the name, cross your wake three times and each time that you cross your wake you fire into the sea. The old serpent is now deceased so you can rename your boat in full ceremony and allow the new serpent to follow you and keep you safe. All good fun but it does not explain what one did in the past before guns were around - a bow and arrow?
WindintheWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 00:47   #69

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

If this is how you feel about all things metaphysical, and you intend to get involved with operating a sailing vessel on the high seas, you're going to find yourself asking this question A LOT!

Lore, myth and superstition go hand-in-hand with venturing upon the sea. Disregard these elements and you'll miss some of the richness of both the experience and the community.

[Oh, and suggest to your friends to lighten-up. If they're going to go through life so hyper-sensitive to being offended, they're going to spend a lot of time in a pissed-off state. No way to live, if you ask me.]
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 04:46   #70

Boat: steel ketch; 54 foot

Very simple
Traditionally it is bad luck to rename.
Second you insult the Sea Gods.

So if you do not like the name do not buy the boat.

Happy Sailing
vikingwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 05:07   #71

Boat: Grampian 26

I literally laughed out loud and woke up the baby [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbarbary View Post
The CDC is warning you that if you rename the boat without ceremony, you'll catch Covid.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 18:50   #72

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30

We celebrated the renaming of our boat, just two of us, by toasting her with what we were drinking, and splashing some of what was in the bottle on her bow, and welcoming her to the family. My little 28' ft O'Day sailed with us for 6 years under her new name of "Rough Draft" until the day we sold her wonderfully, in fair winds and foul, stayed upright, ran aground once due to a navigational error, weathered hurricanes, and was fine. Like you, not terribly superstitious, but it is a fantastic way to start a journey!
ggsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 14:35   #73

Boat: Venture of Newport 23 swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfro85 View Post
Viking is closest to the traditions I (very loosely) follow, and he’s big on Roman history. We might put a coin under the mast as a nod to the tradition when we first set sail, but we plan to dry sail her and trailer her home after every use so the mast will come down every time.
For permanent blessing, weld silver dollar, or pound or franc or coin of country of her shipyard of birth or home, to mast step, face up. Pour some favored libation onto her bow (hull) (at least enough to reach waterline). Think sailorly thoughts, bawdy, humorous, respectful. After guests have left, the owner and mate may/can/shall perform a time honored rite in the captain's cabin confirming/expressing their newfound intimate relationship with the boat. If the new owner is single/unattached a partner may be recruited for the occasion. That's change of owner. Changing name is more serious. Changing captain for a day might call for a ceremony, whatever the posture - you'll know.
Kayakeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:34   #74
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

You may not believe in the superstitions, but they DO believe in you...

Do what you want. It is your boat. Believe in the science at least. Keep your towing insurance up to date and have all your safety items. Wear your PFD and keep your EPIRB registration current while filing a daily float plan with those contacts you have listed on it.

Remember, it is just a boat, your own lives and safety.are more important than merely a thing.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat