Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 12:38   #106

Re: Tips for long-term winter sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
You will have fun! I'm old and I've been cold and I've been wet and cold. The later is FAR worse. For that reason alone I would not go offshore this time of year with no cockpit dodger. Shoot, I'm such a wimp I wouldn't do it without a pilothouse. If you still have wiring to do consider putting an outlet in the cockpit so you can plug in an electric vest (or electric blanket) . https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/heated-gear I've ridden motorcycles all over the world in good and bad weather. A good electric vest can turn misery into an pleasant day. Aerostich also carries BMW plug and sockets that are way better than typical "cigarette lighter" plugs. They carry more current efficiently and if you forget to unplug them they will pop off without doing any damage.

Please keep up informed of you progress and enjoy!
The moto gear is a really good idea.
SUNCAT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 13:16   #107

Boat: Sabre 34 sloop

Because of Covid, I would call the marinas ahead of time......they all have odd hours and some services shut down
Old 11-12-2020, 14:05   #108

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

It sounds like you have most everything covered.
I sail out of Oriental NC, and have seen every kind of weather over the years. None of it lasts forever, and you will be heading south where it is always warmer.

The best gear I have found is a pair of long fingered sailing gloves, my bubba suit, and a good warm hat. The “bubba” suit is a one piece insulated coverall sold at most Walmarts and the like for cheap. If you can wear your foulies overtop of the coveralls you’ll be good for wind, rain, or snow. On the ICW you will spend most days sitting still, so get some kind of pad for your butt.

I would avoid going out to get around Hatteras and stay in the ICW until Beaufort or Morehead City.

On days when you feel miserable, just keep telling yourself that you do this for fun. You will do fine. Remember to have fun.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:13   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My guess is that you do not enjoy all-day, all-weather winter activities, like hiking, climbing, or camping. Thus, there are bound to be large gaps in your outdoor knowledge that you will have to learn your way through.
Thinwater!

This is SO unlike you!

Please read the thread all the way through. Kelsey is a dinghy sailor who used to go out in her (equivalent to) survival suit to go dinghy sailing in FEBRUARY in 40-degree temps or less!

She has few "gaps" as you speculated. She's just looking for helpful ideas, thankyewveddymuch.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Team KelseyB
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:20   #110

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

A ton of good advice in the thread. I'll just emphasize what helped us on long cold passages. But all short passages feel long when you are shaking from the cold.

Someone mentioned merlino wool. It is the best and feels great next to the skin. Pricey though.

I found that keeping my hands, feet, and neck warm was the most important. Have a nice wool neck scarf. Drafts down the neck are killer. Get the absolutely best wool glove inserts along with good ski type gloves. The most important to me was good socks. I am a big fan of Smartwool socks. They are not cheap but they wear the best of any I have tried. Use two layers and don't use boots that are too tight with both pairs of socks on.

And keep from sweating or getting too damp regardless of what ever gear you have on. I can't wear anything poly (even 10%) next to my skin so it is wool or cotton. I know you are not supposed to wear cotton but if you keep it dry it is very good.

And think about what you have to do to go to the hear for #1 or #2. How much do you have to take off and for how long. When you lose the nice heat from inside your gear it takes a while to build it back up. And you have to plan for how much longer it takes to take off the gear, do the business, get zipped back up, and then get to the helm. It is not something you can do in 5 minutes so you need to plan for when you can leave the helm safely for whatever time it takes.

I found that taking off bits of my gear before hitting the bunk for the night and running a warm wash cloth over my parts as I remove each area really helped since it got rid of the body oil which just felt downright yucky and seemed to get me chilled easier. Some of you will think this is stupid but it sure helped me. And then put on your clean undergear for the day and wear it in the sleeping bag. Don't wear all your layers in your bag. Your bag should be warm enough that you don't need it.

The hard part is waking up when the cabin is so cold any water left out is frozen when you get up. So put on your gear in layers starting with the top and work down. Then get in your outer gear as fast as possible. Never ever put on anything wet!! Dry it out somehow.

I've never used them but the hand warming and foot warming packets sound like a great idea. Also, have something to keep your head and ears warm. There is a lot of blood flow through the head and neck so you have to keep those areas warm to avoid losing heat that will come out of your core.

You cognition will go downhill very fast if you get over-chilled. Find a way to stop and warm up or you may make a serious miscalculation.

Lots of good ideas for keeping the cabin warm. Unless insulated for colder sailing, boats just will not hold in heat. The wind makes a big difference too. And watch your footing on deck. I have slipped on sheer, invisible ice on the side decks. You literally cannot tell it is there. You have to try out your footing. You lose control so fast!

You can make it. You will have memories of your adventures. Some will be more fond than others.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:44   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ex Maggie Drum wrote:

“But all short passages feel long when you are shaking from the cold.”

Absolutely true.

“Drafts down the neck are killer.”

This reminded me of a trick from deer hunting. Take a watch cap, open up the top so it is a ring and close that seam so it doesn't unravel. Now its easy to slip over your head and down onto your throat like the ultimate scarf. When sitting on stand I would slip it on to stop the down drafts. But when walking I would take it off so as to not overheat. Its a great cheap and simple way to provide variable warmth to meet different exercise situations.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 17:24   #112

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
I have done some limited offshore sailing in larger boats with crew, but I haven't singlehanded offshore before. Are there any particular hops that might be good to test out my comfort?
I wouldn't consider any hops outside until you're at Morehead City or further south. You will have a few opportunities to get the sails up along the way - obviously in the Chesapeake, but across the Albemarle it's worth having a steadying sail up - we made good progress under the headsail alone; and you can sail Pamlico sound around to the Neuse River instead of that chunk of canal (weather permitting of course). South of Morehead you have lots of short hop possibilities that again weather permitting, allow you to test your comfort level while still giving you options to jump back to the protection of the ICW.

Is your mattress on slats or otherwise ventilated? If not, you should flip it up each morning to let the moisture dissipate. Otherwise you'll get mold.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 18:58   #113

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'

1) My boat is on the hard. I use a household kerosene heater on her in the winter. I researched extensively to find a kerosene heater that didn't smell. The key is a tall glass chimney. Everything I read said to buy a Sengoku CTN-110 kerosene heater. I now own 4 of them (I got them for $65 each off CL. I couldn't resist a deal). I use the other three to heat a house which I am rehabbing (which has the electricity turned off).

This heater would work well at a calm anchorage or definitely at a marina. Fill it every night before bed; it will run for 8+ hours. I boat camp in 30 degree weather with this heater.

Of course if you can get a real boat kerosene, diesel or other heater installed before you go that is the best option.

2) I have found that sweat pants work better than jeans at keeping me warm. I wear two pairs of sweat pants over other pants and stay comfortable outside working in 20 degree weather, even if it is snowing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kero heater.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	228531  
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 19:31   #114

You don't have to spend a lot of money to stay dry. If I have to be out in wet weather I use a rain jacket (thin waterproof windbreaker), motorcycle pants ($20 on CL) and rain boot shoe covers ($16 on Amazon).

Last year at our towns chili cook off my family made fun of me for donning my garb. It then rained all day. I was the only one who came home dry.
Old 12-12-2020, 19:48   #115

I’m sailing down to our Kansas river now headed for Florida the one thing that I’ve found so far is to make sure that you have at least two or three different types of heaters some places you can get fuel for one but not the other
Marinemedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 00:32   #116

Boat: Nordic 44

Any combustion in an unventilated space is both risky and will add a tremendous amount of humidity to the space.

One of the products of combustion is water vapor. It will condense on any cold surface. Mold and mildew will grow. Propane catalytic heaters are known for this. Just breathing, cooking and washing will put a lot of moisture into the boat. Adding combustion water will make things much worse.

Poor combustion will produce carbon monoxide. This could happen without warning while you are sleeping. All that has to happen is that the burner clogs up a little.

Better to be cold than dead.

If you have the time and can find one a small Force 10 cozy cabin propane heater would work nicely in a small boat. I use one in my 44 footer and in helps a lot. It only needs a one inch chimney - a piece of stainless steel tube. The longer the chimney the more efficient it is because the chimney is a heat radiator. My chimney is hot above the heater and only warm to the touch after three feet.

KelseyB, I know that you are trying to make your departure and all the last minute tasks are getting in your way. I left my old home town to go cruising with boxes full of incomplete projects. Focus on safety and let the rest slide. You can do projects on bad weather days and days off.

Bon Voyage and best of luck. Enjoy the journey.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 01:29   #117

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

KelseyB,

I was just talking to a friend about wintering over here in Tasmania, and she reminded me of how much comfort a hot water bottle can be. You can re-use the water over and over, and it will take the chill off the sleeping bag, and if it is extraordinarily cold, you can take one outside with you and put it wherever you decide you want it. They are cheap. Mine is 30 yrs. old, this year!

It is wildly old fashioned and rather quaint, but phooey on the nay sayers, it's super to not feel chilled, and a pleasure to not have to use your own body heat to heat your berth.

Ann
Old 13-12-2020, 03:50   #118

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Baking potatoes, thrown in the oven, hot ready meal when coming off deck, filling too.
Bill

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for a few months of relatively cold-weather sailing that I haven't thought of yet,
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 05:06   #119

Korean stone bowls for food--they keep your hands warm. After I saw them they went on my to buy list for my boat. I have seen them for as low as $22 at an asian store. Don't drop them on your feet! Try asian grocery stores in a larger city. Good reviews on google usually point to the larger asian stores with lots of cool stuff. You want the ones with hundreds or over a 1000 reviews. I notice you are in Maryland. Not sure where, but if you are near DC, 7 corners is a good place to start.

If you can't find them, the korean pottery bowls also work, but they are breakable. I would be wary of putting the pottery bowls on a burner heated to cooking temperatures (ask in the store or on a forum). I think they are made for the oven. I have however placed my korean pottery bowls on the stove for short periods to warm them without problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stone bowl.resized.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	228559   Click image for larger version

Name:	stone bowl with lid.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	228560  

Name:	pottery bowl.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	228561  
Old 13-12-2020, 05:45   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Poor combustion will produce carbon monoxide. This could happen without warning while you are sleeping. All that has to happen is that the burner clogs up a little.

Better to be cold than dead.
Good point! I actually keep two carbon monoxide detectors on my boat like these. $20 each. Cheap insurances. Check the batteries every few months. Kerosene, diesel, propane and LPG heaters/appliances all can produce carbon monoxide if they are burning improperly.

I also keep my top hatch board out and a few windows open to allow fresh air to circulate. I have never been cold doing this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carbonmon.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	228562  

Tags
sail, sailing