Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 17:48   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Time To Sail From Seattle......

I haven't 'sailed' it myself yet but was wonder how long it normally takes to sail a, lets say a 40' IOR, boat to San Francisco from Seattle in late July/August?

And then again from SF to Hawaii in November?

I'm getting ready to sail all the way to P.I. and need to make some arrangements for possible crew and stays at each local.

In a 15 kt wind the boat averages about 7 kt on a reach. So, I'm thinking about a week to SF considering currents/tides. Just wondering what others have done for time traveled?
Old 05-03-2013, 18:28   #2

Boat: 19T Gaff Cutter
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

We did the trip last year aboard 58' Gaff Schooner averaged 6 1/2 kn total time from neah bay to sausalito 6 days 6 hrs, We stayed about 100 nm off shore. You should be able to make the same duration.........cheers

Stonefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 19:05   #3

Thanks! And nice video. Love the Irish theme.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:25   #4

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

Very nice video and soundtrack, thanks for posting.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:27   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

6 to 8 days depending on the wind and if ya stop to site see LOL longer !! There are a couple of good stops as you know !!(used to always stop in Eureka, till they closed the Vista Del Mar) It can be a great trip if the weather is watched !!
Old 05-03-2013, 20:35   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Our last passage that way was 4 days and change, would probably plan on a week. Went offshore about 100 miles to avoid nighttime light breezes.

From SF to Hawaii last passage was two weeks. Would probably plan on three as typical.

For both, YMMV and subject to all the variability of sailing.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 21:34   #7

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

8 days sounds about right,motoring or sailing.Last time I did the run to S.F. it was no wind or way too much.August is a good month as gale averages are low,but fog is usually present unless its windy.Port Orford is a good stop midway,there is no bar to cross and a nice little town.The coastguard museum is well worth the visit.Sailing to Hawaii in Nov. sounds dodgy unless you drop down to San Diego lattitude first before leaving coast.Del,where is P.I.?
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 21:57   #8

Don't think I've ever been in Port Orford except driving down Hwy 101. There doesn't appear to be a marina, just a cove and a dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Del,where is P.I.?
Philippine Islands.
Old 05-03-2013, 22:03   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

Del:

I have only done the trip down the coast once. Your boat should be faster then mine I will get you the exact trip duration when I have a chance to look at my log book. We left from Astoria in a pretty good breeze and sailed on a Broad Reach starboard tack Gybed in when we could make Cape Mendicino but be 40 miles off shore. Wind died completely. We ended up motoring. One of the tanks had been cleaned the other hadn't so we ended up only having half the fuel. Motored into Eureka on a Saturday night and the fuel dock was closed so we had to truck fuel in jerry cans from a gas station took four or five trips. Had a little bit of a sleep and then left at around 3am and sailed a little bit upwind in a warm southerly before the wind died again. Then we sailed into the gate. I think it was 4 days but I'll get the exact time tomorrow.

In July HI is about a 12 to 14 day trip. Don't know about November. I have delivered boats up and down the coast in that time frame to get to So Cal for Mexican races. You need to time it to avoid storms and still have wind. After the storms there can be a period of no wind for a few days. We would use these to motor south.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Don't think I've ever been in Port Orford except driving down Hwy 101. There doesn't appear to be a marina, just a cove and a dock.

Philippine Islands.
Spent 5 days there anchored in Nellies Cove(old coastguard base) waiting for full gale to blow through.Short dinghy ride to dock.All the crab boats get lifted out every night.Part of the coast that should be seen closeup.Mendocino also dished out 47knot winds,which I had to ride out at sea.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Spent 5 days there anchored in Nellies Cove(old coastguard base) waiting for full gale to blow through.Short dinghy ride to dock.All the crab boats get lifted out every night.Part of the coast that should be seen closeup.Mendocino also dished out 47knot winds,which I had to ride out at sea.
What time of the year was this?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have spent a bunch of days hunkerd down behind the head at Port Orford during bad northely blows! Ya just get as close as ya can to the head and hook er up,and just ride her out !Theres really no harbor, the local boats get lifted out of the water. but its good holding ground. beats the heck out of trying the bars at almost all of the west coast harbors when the Bad North winds are puffin !
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Del,,
Your Choate being a pinched stern, and a performance IOR design will handle wicked on a downwind run in following seas, we found that the ride and VMG improved much by turning off the swells and heading out to sea, and after a few hours, back in, sounds counter productive but it works well.
You'll injoy the trip, its the salt water and open seas, that bring your thoroughbred to life.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Del,,
Your Choate being a pinched stern, and a performance IOR design will handle wicked on a downwind run in following seas, we found that the ride and VMG improved much by turning off the swells and heading out to sea, and after a few hours, back in, sounds counter productive but it works well.
You'll injoy the trip, its the salt water and open seas, that bring your thoroughbred to life.
I know what you mean. I very seldom go straight down wind. It seems IORs pivot on their keels like a top. And being light weight they bob really good in the rough too. But that's OK for me, never been sea sick and rather enjoy it. I use to hang out at a fair grounds when I was a kid and beg for free rides when the business was slow.

My only worry is when one of those northern lows come swooping down the coast. But late July thru Aug. and early Sept. seems to be least amount of storms down the coast. I'll stay out past the shelf as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What time of the year was this?
It was in August.Our hull shapes are very similar.Because of poor sail choice at sunset and not being able to leave the wheel after that point,mine was doing up to 14kn. for 14 hrs., south of Mendocino almost to Pt. Reyes.

Tags
sail, seattle