Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 08:58   #16

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Tiller on a big boat?

...no such luck here: after all those tiller miles the lady is looking forward to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lady's wheel.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	166606  
Old 18-03-2018, 09:01   #17

...& I can't blame her as I remember her 5'2-frame being pinned into the cockpit corner by the tiller when she was backing against the pronounced following current in the last lock of the Panamacanal...
Old 18-03-2018, 09:05   #18

It would depend on the cockpit configuration a bit for me. But I see no issue with the tiller. It's the ultimate KISS solution. The downside is how it sweeps the cockpit when maneuvering in tight places. Also whether the boat has a tone of weather helm might enter into it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tiller on a 48 footer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9645.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	166607  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:19   #20

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I really like the feel and experience of a tiller. Wheels may have some advantages, but for me, I'd go with a tiller if it was an option.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:20   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Used to race on a Cal40 with tiller. Worked fine. Have a friend with an other Cal40.
I did a delivery on a Cal40 with an extra long tiller. When on autopilot it was hard to stay out of the way of the tiller while sitting in the cockpit on watch.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:45   #22

Boat: Pearson

As said if the rudder has good balance I dont see a problem . I love my tiller, immediate responce and more cockpit room Iwould not like a wheel.
Old 18-03-2018, 09:53   #23

Tillers are wonderful, no cables to stretch or break, no pulleys,great feel. If your using a vane it always steers better than a wheel. Aircraft went through a similar situation, from sticks to wheels. Aerobatic aircraft and military aircraft and some airliners are using sticks but wheels on aircraft are like wheels on sailboats, marketing the second best idea. Now of course they can't get enough so they have 2 wheels on most new boats. They want to open up the center traffic in the cockpit but folks with tillers simply stand them up straight and no problem.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 10:26   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Another vote for tillers - wouldn't have it any other way. Some have commented that it might be a problem with an unbalanced boat, but that is actually one of the strengths of tillers - you know if it is unbalanced and can correct it, and with wheels too often it is ignored and the boat is sailed with the wheel always turned (more drag slows the boat down). The last time I got Carina weighed she was at 23.5k#, so more than the OP's boat, and Carina has a barn door rudder (not balanced like a spade); steering is no problem. Get the tiller.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 10:49   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

+1 for love a tiller on a big boat. I've had both. IMHO, everyone knows how to drive a car, and a wheel makes them feel like that. But a boat is NOT a car. A tiller has many advantages. Combined with a below deck autopilot...great stuff!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Compromise 023.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	166623  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 10:50   #26

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I'm glad that lots of people like tillers. One disadvantage, however, is that when underway, and tacking, the tiller sweeps the cockpit. The helms-person usually has to move in front of the tiller during this. Because of this, there is a portion of the cockpit that cannot be sat in during this maneuver. Not a bit deal, but it is a disadvantage and should be considered.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:03   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It would depend on the cockpit configuration a bit for me. But I see no issue with the tiller. It's the ultimate KISS solution. The downside is how it sweeps the cockpit when maneuvering in tight places. Also whether the boat has a tone of weather helm might enter into it.
Its only a problem if the crew thinks the cockpit is a couch...which it is not.

As I posted earlier, IMHO people tend to think of boats like cars...the "driver" stands at the wheel and everyone else is a passenger. NOT TRUE...on a boat, everyone is part of the team working the boat...the helmsman is just one of the team. To prove this to my kids, I once locked the wheel and steered the boat by moving around the decks. Every person aboard is part of the team. Even if they are just sitting there, because their weight affects the trim, and their body may be in the way of the tiller, a locker, or something else. Perhaps thats why its often easier to sail alone...no one standing in the hatch blocking your way when you need to pop below real quick because of an alarm or something. "Passengers" are also very distracting when you are trying to sail, often asking questions like "where does the stuff in the toilet go?" when you are in the middle of a gybe.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:05   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
I'm glad that lots of people like tillers. One disadvantage, however, is that when underway, and tacking, the tiller sweeps the cockpit. The helms-person usually has to move in front of the tiller during this. Because of this, there is a portion of the cockpit that cannot be sat in during this maneuver. Not a bit deal, but it is a disadvantage and should be considered.
Depends on the boat. Not a problem on mine. I just lift the tiller over my head and slide over. Easy.
Old 18-03-2018, 11:43   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
As I see it, this is only an inconvenience if racing on short tacks, with multiple Crew in the cockpit.

But, for a single handed sailor or a couple, and especially on long legs of an offshore cruising course, not a problem, in my view.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 11:51   #30

...going astern can be tricky with a tiller....

Tags
boat