Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2020, 14:49   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Ticket for no whistle in dinghy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's beyond dispute that fining an otherwise properly equipped and responsible dinghy operator for not having a freaking whistle is a d1ck move. What's wrong with a warning and a 90 sec lecture?

All I can think of is that there must be pressure on them to issue tickets, to prove they're doing the checks, or something.

Thought - you say 'citation' and there was no fine amount. If you write them and explain how well-equipped your dinghy was, and the safety courses you've taken, how many years cruising, and enclose a receipt for several whistles... what are the odds they'd write back with "ok this time, don't do it again" and that's the end of it?
If only I lived in Canada.

No, in the states people are assh0les. LOL. What you have in Canada, we used to have here, but it’s long gone.

And yes, I’m sure all 4 cops have to produce some tickets to justify that many guys getting to ride around in a boat all day. I was one of 2 people in the entire harbor underway. Wrong place at the wrong time.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:10   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Is a loud voice "some means to make an efficient sound"?
I’ve heard the use of a wench handle rapping on a metal helm wheel may suffice as a bell... ��
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:17   #48

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
I’ve heard the use of a wench handle rapping on a metal helm wheel may suffice as a bell... ��
I'm absolutely certain grabbing my wench handle and rapping it on the helm (pretty much any helm, no need to be metal) will result in very audible sounds. Possibly also an assault charge.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:18   #49

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Actually Maryland does require carrying a whistle...

https://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Doc...ionvessels.pdf

“Navigation rules require sound signals to be made under certain circumstances. Meeting, crossing and overtaking situations described in the navigation rules section are examples of when sound signals are required.
Vessels 39.4 feet or more in length are required to carry on board a whistle or horn, and a bell. Any vessel less than 39.4 feet in length (including Personal Watercraft) must carry a whistle or horn or some means to make an efficient sound to signal your intentions and to signal your position during periods of reduced visibility.“
Yes, you are correct unless you are a paddlecraft (rowboat, kayak, canoe and possibly paddle board) Guess I should clarify that we row our hard nester much of the time and it isn't specified in Md. that you need more than a life jacket to do so (we carry more including sound devices). While in Va. it does specify that all boats (including paddlecraft) meet the life jacket and whistle requirements.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:30   #50

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wow, didn't you guys fight a war for independence a while back to get away from the rules of an imperial empire
Pete
Nope. We fought a war for independence because that imperial empire refused us a say in making the rules - that directly effected us - and treated us like a bastard, ginger child.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:48   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
And for that matter, just what is an "efficient sound"? How do you quantify a sound's efficiency?

I'm glad that I got in a few years of cruising before all this stuff became mandatory in tenders. I learned to be responsible for my own safety, and so far it has worked. I guess I've just been lucky.

Jim
Old 22-05-2020, 16:11   #52

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Chotu, sorry you got stopped by 'the man'.
For me, my regular PFD is a non-inflating fishing type with extra pockets.
In/attached to that PFD is a whistle, a small flashlight, and a small folding knife.

If I go crew somewhere else I take it with me.

I have been in situations where I needed the knife and the flashlight but not yet the whistle.
Old 22-05-2020, 16:23   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

I got stopped in Baltimore County in Maryland. Had everything that was required, but couldn't find the dang whistle. They asked me if I had another noise maker on board and I almost pointed at my wife, then thought better. End result, an $85 fine. Expensive lesson. The worst part is later that day I found the whistle...
Old 22-05-2020, 17:06   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Why on earth would you have to wonder about such a thing? The USCG and the various state boating authorities work pretty hard to make the rules as widely publicized as they can.

To spend any real time around boats and boating and NOT know them, you'd have to actively avoid learning them.

There is a lot of room for people to argue about what rules (if any!) are appropriate, but to "wonder" what they are seems a bit disingenuous.

And interesting observation by someone smarter than I: Conservatives oppose new rules because they don't want to have to comply with them. Liberals are fine with any new rules because they believe they only apply to those bad people over there...

If you think USA rules around boats are over the top nanny-state nonsense, just wait until you get to NZ.
If you had been paying attention you will notice that rules vary by jurisdiction, and I believe by interpretation as well.

On edit, it didn’t take me long to realize that we have too many levels and actual numbers of water cops. I can sit on the T head of my Marina here and on an average day see the FWC, a few Sheriff’s boats and even the CBP, the CBP in particular makes me wonder, and they are always at least two people in a boat, and often it’s a 40’ CC with 1,000 HP of outboards.
Now why in the world does Customs and Border Patrol need to be out for, and why do they need 40’ of boat and 1,000 HP?
Many illegals sneak into the Country via the St John’s River?

I got pulled over by an undercover FWC last year in an unmarked Manatee zone.
Really, undercover Game Warden? That’s what FWC used to be anyway, the guys who policed fishing and then expanded, now they are another level of cop.

I’ve got a picture of this guy, honest to God undercover, hidden blue lights in a small CC fishing boat.

Sorry about the sideways picture.
Anyway after bridge I get back on plane, and here he comes from half a mile away going hell for leather. He says I’m in a Manatee zone, I ask where are the signs? He says well they are working on the bridge I guess they took them down. So I said how am I supposed to know if you don’t post it. He says it’s listed on the internet and goes to tell me the internet page, I ask him if he’s serious, he says yes. I ask him if he really thinks this will stand in court. I went on to tell him I follow rules, but if I don’t know what they are how can I follow them?
I actually got a little nasty with him, he asked if I Knew where the Manatee zones were, I said yes they are where the expensive houses are, within 300 ft of an expensive neighborhood is where they are.
I got a warning. I’m Retired, I have nothing better to do than fight these idiots in court.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97477313-FBC9-4441-A0A9-1BA64ECB3AB2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	215588  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:45   #55

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:

Regs specifically say no
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:52   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah. I’m not complaining. Just saying it’s absolutely stupid for me to have everything I carry in the dinghy and get a ticket for basically a toy.

I had a vhf and cellphone. Both on my person. In zipped up pockets. Both waterproof, but only one floats. Whistle is a dumb requirement and there are too many requirements.

The whistle is intended for communicating while maneuvering, not for MOB. VHF and especially cell don't cut it in that regard.

AND, the regs are Federal, not state. Doesn't matter where you are, even overseas, if US registered or documented.

I keep one on my PFD, it is an attention getter that VHF/cell are not as those require an active listener. Honestly, I cannot imagine using it for communicating maneuvering intentions however.
Old 22-05-2020, 17:54   #57

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh for the love of ... . Another LEO make-work project.

Nah, cop with a quota to meet.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I got pulled over by an undercover FWC last year in an unmarked Manatee zone.
Really, undercover Game Warden? That’s what FWC used to be anyway, the guys who policed fishing and then expanded, now they are another level of cop.

I’ve got a picture of this guy, honest to God undercover, hidden blue lights in a small CC fishing boat.

The GFC, the predecessor to the FWC, had under cover operations and unmarked vehicles back in the 80's. Likely had it prior to the 80's.

The GFC were state law enforcement officers and that did not change with the merger that formed the FWC. As wildlife officers, they have state wide jurisdiction and enforce all laws of the state of Florida. They have had that responsibility/duty/power for many, many decades.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 18:02   #59

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
The whistle is intended for communicating while maneuvering, not for MOB. VHF and especially cell don't cut it in that regard.

AND, the regs are Federal, not state. Doesn't matter where you are, even overseas, if US registered or documented.

I keep one on my PFD, it is an attention getter that VHF/cell are not as those require an active listener. Honestly, I cannot imagine using it for communicating maneuvering intentions however.
So what would I use a whistle for in communication while maneuvering?

I have a 100 ton master with sailing endorsement. I’m a little rusty, but I don’t recall any section where I’d be in an 8’ inflatable raft communicating passing agreements with other vessel traffic while puttering 1/8 mile over to a ding dock from my boat.

Further, if passing agreements are what I’m supposed to be communicating, a VHF is the normal and accepted way to do it. Bridge to bridge. The super tanker I cross paths with on the way to the dinghy dock probably would not see me or hear my whistle. Ha ha.

Or... is that to blast off 1 long and 3 shorts to indicate I’m leaving the dinghy dock under astern propulsion ?

I wish I was a resident of that town, since I’d start doing just that. The cop boat shares the dinghy dock. I’m sure they’d enjoy the proper sound signals coming from my dinghy as I leave the dock.

Note: snarky response not directed toward you. Just toward the absurdity
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 18:03   #60

Although I agree a ticket for this is heavy-handed

Tags
dinghy