Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 09:43   #181
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
DotDun...thanks for the post, it added the needed facts

Raku... That was the "nice" version!!! FYI Free charts and software are readily available to help you understand some of what is being discussed.

Snore, FYI I just explained that limited bandwidth prevented me from referring to charts online available yesterday. I also couldn't see videos posted and didn't see the 81.0 knot reading until today.

And, FYI, I understand what's being discussed. We're getting snippy and there's no need.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:47   #182
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
I'm not trying to brag at all. What I am trying to demonstrate is the winds can pick up tremendously in very little time. These summer storms do not last very long. Usually they are over in 30 minutes or so. If I remember correctly the wind was probably 10 knots or so before the storm hit. The photo os the clouds and rain were not necessarily taken at the same time. And of course 80 was a quick gust, not sustained at all. It was more like 30 sustained. But you can really get these incredible strong burst of winds.

This is why I would not recommend keeping up anything but the smallest piece of sail.

Yes, I understood that it was a gust (finally saw it this morning) ... but I really would rather NOT experience an 81.0 gust. I do appreciate your demonstrating just how fierce these storms can be. One gust like that is enough to be very serious if it, say, results in your rig collapsing, and you now have a pole driving a hole in your hull. It doesn't happen every day, but it does happen, and Florida coastal cruisers have to have good storm plans.

You say your wife stayed below reading a book? Did she put cushions on the cabin sole or what? She has a lot of faith (I'm sure deserved) in your ability to handle your boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:52   #183

Boat: wharram tiki 26

For someone who is yet to grow a foul bottom i find this topic most educational.
I would be interested to know, on a low windage cat ie Wharram tiki 26 if faced with these conditions what is the best run, or point?

The east coast of Australia does produce it's fair share of t.storms and you advice would be much appreciated.
cheers paul.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:03   #184

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Re: Thunderstorm while coastal cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
Oh yea watching your dinghy circling in mid air on the end of the painter is NOT cool but at that point all you can do is be glad it does not have the outboard on it and hope the attachment points hold out!
This was one of those squalls in S. Florida but at anchor.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:15   #185
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I would be interested to know, on a low windage cat ie Wharram tiki 26 if faced with these conditions what is the best run, or point?
Hi Paul,

I seriously doubt it could sail to windward, but I have never sailed one but there are a few on the cruising circuit. theres one in this bay atm.
the people with them generally dont have proper/sufficient/reliable/big engines on them either so motoring to wind is probably not going to work.

Bare poles and head downwind?

close the hatches because they look like they couold be swept from stem to stern or visa versa often.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:48   #186

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I know these well!!! I finally bought a smartphone about 4 years ago specifically so that I could image their motion on weather radar (turns out, smartphones are good for other stuff as well...).

19 times out of 20 they are small enough to outmaneuver, and last no more than 15 minutes. Just be watching the horizon (mostly in FL, these develop over land and move offshore) and start tracking as early as possible. If it looks like you're on a collision course, sail perpendicular to the track of the squall. As I'm sure you know, if you're inside the reefs, your ability to do this may be compromised, and since in that case you will also be unable to heave to (unless you are absolutely sure you won't forereach even a little), the only option is to get the sails down and point into the wind (with engine) as best as possible. I would encourage you to start your engine even if you remain under sail, because if you get hit by lightning you probably won't be able to start your engine (although an already-started diesel will continue to run).

Sometimes they're just too big to dodge (see herehttp://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ney-45161.html). pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 14:00   #187

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
No one is impressed with my 81 knots of wind huh?
It surely impressed me! LOL
Dude.............I was impressed. More that you took the picture than anything. I would have been shaking too much I think............or cleaning my shorts.

Plus I was going to finish catching up on the thread first. It try to do that as others often say what I was going to say.
Old 18-06-2013, 14:07   #188

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Part of it is to pick your window. For instance, here, tomorrow there's little chance of t-storms here (not impossible, but not likely). Today the odds were 40%, enough to keep me in, but nothing materialized. but the rest of the week are forecast for "isolated" or "scattered" t-storms. So tomorrow would be the pick day for the journey. If really worried, I would leave as early as possible. These storms are heat-generated, not front-generated, so getting in early is a good plan.
Rack,

You missed an important part of the question.
Quote:
It is not the heavy daily July-September predictable afternoon thunderstorm season....it is march or April.
Different part of the year = different type of answer eh?
Old 18-06-2013, 14:46   #189

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
You say your wife stayed below reading a book? Did she put cushions on the cabin sole or what? She has a lot of faith (I'm sure deserved) in your ability to handle your boat.

I'm not sure how deserved it is, but she does have blind faith in my ability. Most likely from her inability. When we talk about that specific storm it's funny since at one point I did look down and just saw here there with one hand on the table not to roll off of the settee and the other with a book in it.

I'm say something "You have no idea what we are going though huh?". And she just says something like "Ya I know it's raining."

I felt it was better to just leave it at that.

But we could not have been at any further opposites on how we were feeling. She was calm and relaxed and I was, at least internally, freaking out when the gusts were rolling us (not over but more degrees than I like).

That's when I gave up our course and went into the wind and things got more comfortable.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 14:56   #190

Boat: O'Day 28

I couldn't stand it. I've read the whole shebang, and one post really stood out for me. First was Dockhead's comment that a tiny bit of basic
seamanship would get you thru the kind of T/S that springs up every summer afternoon in S Fl. That was my only point. DH's other essential comment went to the willingness of one to learn something.

Lastly, I read some stuff about over-confidence and the like. Please reread paragraph, above. I've been sailing my whole long life but never claimed to be anything more than a coastal cruiser. At least not while sober.

My daughter story just went to the point that I'm not macho as much as uncaring, hollow, no longer give a fig about anything. No further condolences required. Death of my baby girl two years ago at 15, just changed me, and not in a good way.
Blue Crab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 14:56   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Dude.............I was impressed. More that you took the picture than anything. I would have been shaking too much I think............or cleaning my shorts.
The real reason I took the pic is a friend and I keep trading wind speed, hull speed and storm pics/video with each other. I would prefer not to be the winner in that game

He is a much more experienced sailor and licensed captain and has handled some major blows. I unfortunately have been hit by a lot of those quick squalls, but never had to be in a major storm for hour upon hour or even days.
Old 18-06-2013, 14:58   #192
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
Water is somewhat shallow - 20-30 feet
well if it is lunch time maybe just drop the anchor and let out 12:1 scope and wait
Old 18-06-2013, 15:00   #193

Oh here's another thread that can go very SHITTY real fast... Take a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-105902.html
Old 18-06-2013, 15:01   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
No further condolences required. Death of my baby girl two years ago at 15, just changed me, and not in a good way.

Not required, but my condolences just the same. My wife lost a child and I know how much it can affect someone. Peace.
Old 18-06-2013, 15:39   #195

Quote:

I'm not trying to brag at all. What I am trying to demonstrate is the winds can pick up tremendously in very little time.
Okay. That clears it up. Nice to know a Raymarine wind instrument survives 81 knots. I would have thought not. I've never felt anything close to a 80 knot gust, that I know of.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising