Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 11:54   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Thru-hulls -- ease my worried mind

Just left my new to me Albin Vega 27. Before leaving I turned the thru-hull valve beside the head all the way to the right. I thought it best to close it. I've now left the boat and won't be returning for 3 weeks. Did I do wrong? Should I have left the valve open? Or is "to the right" actually open in this case and I should have left it closed?

Im sure everything is fine but I am feeling paranoid that upon my return I'll see only mast head antenna...

Sam
SailingHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:57   #2

Re: Thru-hulls -- ease my worried mind

Thru hull in question:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210211_083009.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	232314  
Old 11-02-2021, 11:58   #3

Boat: Pearson 10M

I think you're fine. Personally, I close every thru hull every time I leave the boat except for the scuppers.

To the more important point, that looks like a residential gate valve. It does not look like a proper thru hull ball valve. Secondly, I would take a good look at that corrugated hose. I'm not the expert here but neither look proper to me. If it was my boat, I would replace both.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:01   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Turning it clockwise (right) will have closed that gate valve and will be fine for three weeks. On your next haul out replace any and all "through hulls" that resemble this one with proper seacocks.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:03   #5

Thanks for the replies. Hauling out in 3 weeks. Will check all and replace as needed.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:09   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

That is not a proper seacock. It is probably brass, not bronze and it is impossible to tell if it is truly closed.

I suggest that you plan on replacing it with a proper seacock with a 90degree turn handle so you know if it is closed. I prefer plastic due to no corrosion issues but that is a different topic that has been discussed to death on this and many other forums.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:31   #7

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
That is not a proper seacock. It is probably brass, not bronze and it is impossible to tell if it is truly closed.

I suggest that you plan on replacing it with a proper seacock with a 90degree turn handle so you know if it is closed. I prefer plastic due to no corrosion issues but that is a different topic that has been discussed to death on this and many other forums.
To be precise, TruDesign composite seacocks are trouble free & can be very highly recommended ( I have 11 on my boat for the past 6 years with no problems). You will have no worries about what grade of metal they are made of as they are a non metal composite. The need no lubricating or maintenance.
If you choose any metal seacock or through hull you will need to source them very carefully indeed these days to be sure you are not buying an inferior product with a life of maybe only 5 years or less due to electrical corrosion.

That gate valve does need changing though.. And any others you may have on board.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:47   #8

Boat: Two

To me it looks like spa hose or similar, and it looks double clamped. I assume the tubing ends above the waterline.

I also think you'll be fine for now and that you should prioritize replacing it.

Congrats on your new boat.
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:56   #9

Boat: Leopard 45

lefty loosey righty tighty!
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:02   #10

Boat: Wellcraft Steplift V20 / Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
To me it looks like spa hose or similar, and it looks double clamped. I assume the tubing ends above the waterline.

I also think you'll be fine for now and that you should prioritize replacing it.

Congrats on your new boat.
Absolutely replace both valve and hose. Personally I’d go with a nonmetallic valve as if you don’t you have the additional chore of grounding the valve to prevent galvanic corrosion. No brainer for me. YMMV
aa1bflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:14   #11

Boat: Chrysler 22

I’m seeing a basic lack of knowledge about the types of valves out there.
Yours in the photo could be a gate valve OR a globe valve. Almost every gate or globe ever made goes SHUT by turning the valve handle all the way to the right several turns (Right is as you look at it from the exposed end of the valve stem (the stem mounts the handle)).
Sea cocks, as discussed by stormalong, are often Ball Valves. (Many in ships are not, often gate valves). Ball valves SHUT by turning the valve handle 90 degrees to the right. And OPEN by turning it 90 degrees to the left.
It it best to back off opening a globe or gate valve by 1/4 to 1/2 turn so that you will not jamb them open.
Good Luck.
chasmains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:30   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Useful seacock & other info./ Cheers/Len

https://marinehowto.com/seacock-thru-hull-primer/
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmains View Post
I’m seeing a basic lack of knowledge about the types of valves out there.
Yours in the photo could be a gate valve OR a globe valve. Almost every gate or globe ever made goes SHUT by turning the valve handle all the way to the right several turns (Right is as you look at it from the exposed end of the valve stem (the stem mounts the handle)).
Sea cocks, as discussed by stormalong, are often Ball Valves. (Many in ships are not, often gate valves). Ball valves SHUT by turning the valve handle 90 degrees to the right. And OPEN by turning it 90 degrees to the left.
It it best to back off opening a globe or gate valve by 1/4 to 1/2 turn so that you will not jamb them open.
Good Luck.
Both ball valves and cone valves (more traditional seacocks) operate by turning them 90 degrees. At a glance you know if they are open or closed.

With a globe valve or gate valve just turning all the way clockwise is no guarantee that it is closed. These valves are more likely to fail and are more likely to be brass.

I have no experience with Truedesign but others rave about them. My (lucky) thirteen seacocks are Forespar Marelon. They have been good. Some older ones had problems with handles breaking off but that has not happened to me. About half of mine are original to the boat - 35 years old.

On a previous boat I have had to lap the seacocks and it was time consuming - IMO not worth the time. Better use of time would have been to replace them. That was a great lakes boat so corrosion was not an issue.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:15   #14

Boat: Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1bflyboy View Post
Absolutely replace both valve and hose.

Curious... Why the hose?
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:17   #15

Boat: Pearson 303

It's always good practice to close all thru hulls when leaving the boat, why would anyone leave them open?

Another good practice is to leave the engine key on the raw water engine thru hull. That way you will be reminded to always open that thru hull before starting the engine.

Following the above your boat won't sink and you won't run the engine without cooling water.

Enjoy...
Capt Y Knot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull