Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 11:18   #31

Re: Threat to Newport, RI, anchorage

It's getting very difficult to go just about anywhere in a sailboat.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 12:40   #32

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The Potter Cove anchorage north of the Newport Bridge toll plaza is nice, w/ a short row to that beach.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 13:44   #33

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

The anchorage near the toll booths (Potter Cove) is OK for lunch, but its not a place I'd spend the night. Power boats seem to want to play Rodney and scream in and out of the anchorage looking at the pretty boats or dragging tube riders behind them. Its a pretty bumpy place at times.

I like the other side of Jamestown in Dutch Harbor. Its plenty deep, reasonably well protected, and lots of anchoring room north of the mooring field and South East of the fish farm. Its a short walk into Jamestown to the other side of the island for ice cream, coffee or a nice restaurant.

As far as Newport harbor itself, I anchor there all the time. I usually leave a sign taped to my dodger (inside) with my contact information in case something happens. Harbormaster appreciates things like that.

*IF* you anchor there, please be aware of the *MANY* underwater telephone cables which are on the bottom as much as 100 yards from the cable crossing line. Only one is live, and the buoys mark that, but there are inactive cables as well on the bottom and I've brought up as many as two at once. See the picture. If this happens, either send a diver down or (as I did) bring the cable up, tie a stout line to it from your bow cleat and then lower your anchor off it. Once the anchor is free. Release the line. Be CAREFUL. Lots of force on the line and fingers should be nowhere near when it flies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable Catch 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	194862  
S/V Black Diamond - Hanse 575 #161
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 14:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDelG View Post
To all those who like to anchor in Newport, RI, or would like to sometime in the future. There is a severe threat to our ability to anchor in Newport. Here is a letter I’ve written to the editor of the Newport Daily News.

Dear Editor,

I’d like to call readers’ attention to an issue concerning Newport Harbor, NOT related to the proposed mooring regulations, which are causing so much controversy.

. . .

Buried within the controversial mooring regulations is a new clause that would require boats anchored in the harbor to have someone on board at all times. This would effectively eliminate our ability to visit Newport, since why would anyone want to come to Newport if not to come ashore? And there would not be enough paid moorings to accommodate us all. As far as I know, there is no other harbor on the East Coast with a similar requirement.

I ask you to please reconsider this new and over restrictive regulation.

Sincerely,

Gino Del Guercio

S/V Andiamo
FYI:

COLREGS Rule 5 says it all in one sentence: “Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.”

Anchor watch:

The duty to keep a proper look-out applies also when a vessel is at anchor, especially if there is a strong tide running or strong winds, or if other vessels are likely to be passing by.

Published relevant guidance from the U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center - Frequently Asked Questions.

When do I need a Look-out?

According to Rule 5, all vessels are responsible for maintaining a proper look-out at all times - this includes one-man crews, unmanned crafts, and recreational boats.

The term look-out implies watching and listening so that he/she is aware of what is happening around the vessel. The emphasis is on performing the action, not on the person. Still, in all but the smallest vessels, the lookout is expected to be an individual who is not the helmsman and is usually located in the forward part of the boat, away from the distractions and noises of the bridge. While no specific location on a vessel is prescribed for the lookout, good navigation requires placement at the point best suited for the purpose of hearing and observing the approach of objects likely to be brought into collision with the vessel.
The size of the vessel and crew effect this answer, however, the emphasis in every legal decision points to the need for a proper, attentive look-out. While the use of radar to evaluate the situation is implied in the requirement to use all available means, that is still understood to be secondary to maintaining a look-out by sight and hearing.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 16:44   #35

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
It's getting very difficult to go just about anywhere in a sailboat.
Actually, it is just as easy to go anywhere in a sailboat as it ever was. Perhaps you meant it is getting more and more difficult to anchor for longer periods in most inland and coastal waters of the US. Yes, that is the result of more boaters and more waterfront property owners, while the amount of available waterways in the US have not changed significantly.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 02:30   #36

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I wouldn't get too worried. They don't even enforce the 2 week maximum. It's a very boater friendly town.

They probably snuck it in there so they had some ammunition for problem people/boats.

If you're nice, respectful and follow all the yachty customs in that harbor, you'll have no trouble visiting and going ashore.
And it went just like I said.

No derelicts, no boat bums, no people using the anchorage for free unattended seasonal storage.

Just normal cruising sailors staying as long as they like unless they are causing problems.

These laws are here as a big stick they can use for problem cases. As usual, they are correctly, selectively and properly enforced by the harbormaster.

Nothing has changed in Newport at all. I was there a couple weeks ago for a week.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 05:08   #37

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:

No derelicts, no boat bums, no people using the anchorage for free unattended seasonal storage.

Just normal cruising sailors staying as long as they like unless they are causing problems.

These laws are here as a big stick they can use for problem cases. As usual, they are correctly, selectively and properly enforced by the harbormaster.

Nothing has changed in Newport at all. I was there a couple weeks ago for a week.
Looks like they listened to the feedback that was received and modified the originally proposed amendment so that the vessel needs to have someone onboard between midnight and 8:00 a.m. who is over 16 and can operate it. Seems reasonable, unlike the original proposed language.

Newport is one of our favorite stops. We’re looking forward to anchoring there at some point next month before we start heading south again.
Old 28-07-2019, 06:31   #38

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

The problem is that then it's no longer about the law, it then becomes subjective on the part of the authorities.

"Selectively" enforced on the part of the harbor master? How can you feel good about that?

(just hope that your son isn't dating his daughter)
Old 28-07-2019, 07:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The problem is that then it's no longer about the law, it then becomes subjective on the part of the authorities.

"Selectively" enforced on the part of the harbor master? How can you feel good about that?

(just hope that your son isn't dating his daughter)
If I'm a local in town (since my son dating his daughter), I don't belong in the anchorage long term and I'm a jerk who needs the law set upon me.

How do I feel good about this selective enforcement? Because like everywhere, it's correctly enforced.

It's aimed at people abusing the privilege, as it should be.

We have several thousand posts here on the subject and no one had solved the riddle.

"How do you get rid of derelicts, boat bums and the jerks who use anchorages as a free unattended storage facility?".

Not a single one of us has figured out how to actually solve this problem. We're all boaters here and there are thousands and thousands of posts about it.

Well, they have solved the problem in Newport.

They have a law they can enforce when needed. Otherwise, it's just business as usual and a great anchorage for cruisers to visit. Free of all the garbage you see in, say, Florida anchorages.

They actually solved the problem none of us could.
Old 28-07-2019, 07:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Looks like they listened to the feedback that was received and modified the originally proposed amendment so that the vessel needs to have someone onboard between midnight and 8:00 a.m. who is over 16 and can operate it. Seems reasonable, unlike the original proposed language.

Newport is one of our favorite stops. We’re looking forward to anchoring there at some point next month before we start heading south again.
You'll enjoy it! Absolutely nothing has changed except they got rid of any people abusing the anchorage. You'll find plenty of space and a welcoming environment. No one will even come to see if you are abiding by the law. I would imagine they only visit you when you start abusing the anchorage.
Old 28-07-2019, 07:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Putting laws in place without the intent of enforcing them as written is very bad practice.
“Selective” enforcement is very corrosive to the rule of law.
What is that selection based on?
· Attractiveness of the vessel (judged by who?)
· Perceived contribution to the community
· Belonging to a “good family” or not
· Family relationship
· Ability to pay a bribe or tip
· Skin tone
· Nationality
· Language
· Religion
· Sexual orientation
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 08:20   #42

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

It is discrimination to enforce the same rule on one person but not another.

It sure seems like more often in rich countries they enforce against small boats with less money. In poor countries they enforce against rich (bribes) or wave fees if your boat is smaller than the rest.

had the police called on me twice last week even though I sail in and out of the creek every 3 days claiming my boat was "abandoned" and dumped here. Turns out it's 2 elderly people living in a huge house polluting our air to power it, and polluting our water with their cca dock and powerboat.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 08:52   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

I see this thread is the standard normal with the same standard posts
Old 28-07-2019, 09:13   #44

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

How do I feel good about this selective enforcement? Because like everywhere, it's correctly enforced.
How do you know he will enforce it correctly? (power corrupts)

Giving a harbormaster, or any authority, the go-ahead to selectively enforce a law invites abuse.

Our country is all about the rule of law, not the whim of an authority figure.

Quote:

They actually solved the problem none of us could.
That is not true, several good ideas about fair laws have been voiced in previous versions of this thread. Biggest problem is that nobody in any port wants to really enforce them (meaning drive around in a patrol boat and talk to boaters, or post notices, or tow away boats).

It's easier to have uneven enforcement based on some guy's opinion on who is a good cruiser and who is a hippy.

Anyhow, we've been over this before.
Old 31-07-2019, 07:22   #45

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I just anchored in newport for 2 nights 2 weekends ago. I used to rent a commercial mooring from the local "middlemen" for 9 years. Middlemen, basically person that maintains a commercial mooring on behalf of the owner and rents if for the season, typically $4k-5k for 40-50' boat. Which is a ripoff. Now i am at a dock in Warren, up the bay and we occasionally go to newport for the weekend. I anchored north of goat island by the bridge two weekends ago. I had a conversation with the harbor master. Rule as enforced that he explained to me is

If you are anchored, someone must be on board from Midnight to 8AM.

Someone must be on board during the frontal passage.

We didn't get into the 14 day stay etc.

And picking up anchor was a sh*itshow as I snagged on a old lobster pot.

HM was also trying to be nice and saying that there is also an anchorage inside the harbor off Ida Luis. I tend to stay away from anchoring there because its too fouled up with debris.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, newport