Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 20:56   #1

Thoughts on this Cascade 29

As many of you know, I am in the market for my second boat. I came across this one today on craigslist. My research seems to show that these cascades if finished right, are great boats. This one looks to be a great boat. It says finished in 2002 but not sure when the hull was sold. Any of you have experience with these boats? I know several circumnavigations have been completed. The more I think of extended cruising and budget, the size of the boat gets smaller. Anyway, any feedback on this boat would be appreciated. Intended use would be:

Next ten years Columbia River, Puget Sound, and San Juans
Ten years plus want to go wherever the wind takes the two of us.

I have looked at sailboat data and NADA and am wondering what you all think of the price.

Cascade 29+ Blue Water Cruising Sailboat
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 21:13   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Thoughts on this Cascade 29

Big Jer,

I think that's an awfully lot of money for a 12 yr. old 29' boat. When Jim sold his Yankee 30, it was 10 yrs. old, and in a firm market, not soft like now, and he got $35,000 for it in 1983, the surveyor commented, "That's a lot of money for a 30 ft. boat, but this one is better than new."

If you can fit in the sea berth, you might consider it at a lesser price. Look around and see what they are asking for others of them. On that boat, we used the quarter berth for storage and slept amidships. However, it may be the one that fits you best. You'll be surprised how much room *stuff* takes up.

I'm wondering two things: first, why it is for sale and second, why was the bottom epoxied? Has it had blisters?

Ann
Old 03-05-2014, 22:04   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think they are great boats but there is a Cascade 36 down in Newport for $20K.

This 29 looks clean and well cared for. It also appears that the cabin top and deck are the fiberglass version that was installed at the factory and not the homebuilt variety that many were. It has the slotted aluminum toerail which is a nice feature and a clean looking Yanmar which is a plus. I just don't think it all adds up to the asking price. 29s had a steel keel.

That's just a personal opinion and I'm not a surveryor.
Old 03-05-2014, 22:24   #4

Ann- I looked on yachtworld and it is prices a lot higher than the others. I was kind of thinking what John is getting at in that it is prob factory finished and he has put a lot of money into it that he is trying to recoup.

John, I was thinking it looked factory and it seems to follow the plans that I found on sailboat data.

I think you both are right in suggesting he is asking to much. I knew that is what I would hear from you guys but when I saw here I started salivating! I think he is trying to get his money back out of her. I think I may sit and watch to see if it falls in line with the competition. It really does look well cared for, but there are many other boats in this area that will work for me for 15-20K
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The boat has just about everything you could want on a cruising boat. Start adding up all the gear that it comes with and it isn't hard to justify that price for a 29' boat if you wanted all that gear. From the pictures, the fit and finish below looks to be way way above what you'll find in any production boat. Looks to be in the class of a Chuck Payne design or even a Bristol Channel Cutter and check the price on those boats. If the quality and condition of the boat is as pictured, I'd have no qualms about paying the asking price IF I was going to do extended cruising and would get that much use out of the boat.

Having said that, it's a Cascade. They built quality hulls and decks to not so great aesthetic designs. Most were finished by owner builders to not so great fit and finish standards, at least the ones I've seen. On perceived value, you are competing with boats that are selling for half or less what they are asking for this boat. Kind of like lip stick on a pig though a very capable and functional pig.
Not the quality of the boat you're looking at but what you'll have to battle with on resale 29 ft Cascade Sailboat must go!

If you want to compare boats of similar sea going quality, suggest you take a look the Vancouver 27, Pacific Sea Craft 27 Pacific Seacraft 27 Orion or the Payne designs. They are not better boats but have the cache' of quality that some people are willing to pay for. Also, for many of those boats, you'd still have to add all the gear that is on the Cascade.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45   #6

I think the price is high but It appears to be a boat that will not break the bank when all is said and done.
If the boat was finished in the water it could have developed bad blisters from sitting a long time without bottom work while the owner was focused on finishing the boat. If you get a cheaper boat with more issues you could easily end up with that money in it anyway. Recoup will be very difficult, not a particularly popular boat anymore. You need that boat at a better price. 29 is not a big boat. 27's go for $3500+, Cat 30's go for $12500 and are easy to sell and more roomy. etc.. just thinkin out loud here...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

$20,000 would seem a reasonable price. You could buy a really nice Yankee 30 for ~that.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02   #8

I think everyone is telling you just about the same thing in different variations. One thing that's perfectly clear is that the boat is set up for long distant voyaging now. When you are ready to go for your long voyages the electronics will be outdated and your watermaker will be ready to be replaced unless you do all the required constant maintenance on it. You'll be paying for a lot add ons that you won't be putting to full use for quite some time.

She is a pretty boat and it enjoys a good reputation as a passagemaker. Many have come through Hilo here. These hulls are not prone to blistering.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56   #9

33' Cruising Sailboat - fiberglass, diesel - Ready for Hawaii I keep seeing listed over and over on craigslist. Have you seen it yet? Looks clean by the photos but it may even be smaller interior than the Cascade 29.

Just curious.

It's a little overpriced too.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:35   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A general comment:

In our whole 3 years of searching for Insatiable II, we never founnd anything but asking prices way over what one could actually expect to pay. Usually, they were at that time, ranging from 50% over value down to about 10%. I just mention this as something to keep on the back burner whilst you're thinking, big Jer. It seems to be a thing of "ask what you want, then bargain down; never mind what's reasonable." By the same token, if you see a boat you're interested in and the ad says price firm, but it's "reasonable", I'd offer very close to it if your boat lust is extreme, and see what happens. Most people are willing to dicker a bit without getting too aggravated.

Ann

Ann
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
A general comment:

In our whole 3 years of searching for Insatiable II, we never founnd anything but asking prices way over what one could actually expect to pay. Usually, they were at that time, ranging from 50% over value down to about 10%. I just mention this as something to keep on the back burner whilst you're thinking, big Jer. It seems to be a thing of "ask what you want, then bargain down; never mind what's reasonable." By the same token, if you see a boat you're interested in and the ad says price firm, but it's "reasonable", I'd offer very close to it if your boat lust is extreme, and see what happens. Most people are willing to dicker a bit without getting too aggravated.

Ann

Ann

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:25   #12

1977 Catalina 22 Sailboat is a great starter boat. This is the same make which was my first boat. My daughter and I spent summers on it in Hawaii.

Oops, just noticed this will be your second boat. Still is a fun boat though.