Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 12:43   #1
smo

Thoughts on Capri 25 for Single-handed Sailing

I retire in 2 3/4 years
I would like to pick up a used sailboat in the 20-25 foot range for some singlehanded sruising on the great lakes.

My short list includes the Capri 25, Merit 25, Holder 20 and santana 20
I'm straying from the holder and Santana as their cabins might be a bit too small

The merit has been found to be a good boat (3 have done the solo transpac)

Any thoughts on the Capri? Earlier the J-24 had been on my list until I was advised against it from some stories of j-24's getting knocked down and sinking.

My idea's would be for daysail on Lake Michigan and some cruises up and down the coast, lake crossings, and possibly eventually the chicago -mac single handed.

Thanks

Smo
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 14:16   #2

Boat: 1970 C&C 30 Redwing
Re: thoughts on capri 25 for singlejhanded sailing

Don't know about the Capri 25 specifically, but 25' is a good size boat to learn single handed sailing. I started sailing keelboat on a Tanzer 7.5 and loved it. Small enough to handle by myself and large enough to take some punishment on Lake Michigan.

What kind of experience do you have>

I am in South Have, where are you?
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 16:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Of the boats mentioned I would go for the merit 25 followed by the capri.

The 20 footers don't look like comfortable boats to sail. Just like the J24 with basically zero backrest in the cockpit.

The Merit looks very much like my boat which is a comfortable and fun weekender. Not near as speedy as the lighter "racing" boats but a heck of a lot more comfortable.

I have also sailed the Capri several times. I am not a huge fan but it is a decent boat to sail.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 17:39   #4
smo

i'm in grand haven. I had a 16 foot daysailor that i singlehanded a lot on lake michigan and the lakes and rivers around homeand have been kayaking 2-3 times aweek almost year round for the last 5 years. I.m looking for a reeasonably fast sailboat that i can set up for singlehanding.
smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 17:54   #5

Boat: Seaward 22

All of these boats I typically see on the race course wednesday nights. I don't really consider them cruisers. However I would go Merit, then capri. The capri 26 is significantly larger than the 25. I would put the capri 26 above both the merit and capri 25.

I have a friend with a Holder 20. Great little boat to race, but he says it is a real handful when the wind pipes up. Just not enough weight.

Fair winds.
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:00   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The Capri 25 is built more to the racer end of the racer/cruiser concept, as is the Merit. If you're not interested in racing, you'll be far better off with a Catalina 27, especially when considered on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Likewise, rather than a Santana 20, look at a Santana 22. A lot more boat for no more money.
Old 20-08-2012, 18:04   #7

Boat: Tartan 30

I don't think you could go wrong with either a merit or a capri. I'd also consider an s2 7.9 and some of Santana's 23-26 foot range. The santana's are particular handy if you need a lifting keel model with good performance.

I'd definitely keep the Merit at the top of the list. Also might even consider an Ohlson 25 or even a Santa Cruz 27. slightly bigger, but much faster, and if you're not trailering it, the size difference won't be a problem.
Old 20-08-2012, 18:07   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The Capri 25 is built more to the racer end of the racer/cruiser concept, as is the Merit. If you're not interested in racing, you'll be far better off with a Catalina 27, especially when considered on a dollar-for-dollar basis. Likewise, rather than a Santana 20, look at a Santana 22. A lot more boat for no more money.
Good advice...A catalina 25 would have more space than the capri/merit. A catalina 25 is also trailerable if you are looking for that.
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:25   #9

I was pretty impressed with an Oday 25 I looked at. Felt like a much bigger boat and seemed to be bult maybe one notch or more above your average Catalina (not to diss them... they're pretty good)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27   #10

Re: Thoughts on Capri 25 for Single-handed Sailing

I raced a Merit 25 all Summer. Fast boat, not great in rough water as it is very light. I know they race these from SF to Hawaii, but I couldn't imagine that run...

I am now looking to buy a Capri 25. Like it a lot, it seems to have a bit more room below which for me is better as I don't like tight spaces.

Good luck if you still haven't made the decision...
sailinginri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capri, sailing, singlehanding