Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 16:00   #91

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft
Re: Thoughts about going uninsured?

I personally do not buy insurance unless forced to do so. They take your money but they never want to pay.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 16:21   #92

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
I personally do not buy insurance unless forced to do so. They take your money but they never want to pay.
It's not all about you
Its about the damage you and your boat can do the other boats, people and the environment.

Here, you likely won't be getting out of the water for maintenance and you won't get into a marina.

In other countries you won't be let in without it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 16:25   #93

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

Know what is funny I was reading this thread and really getting angry at some of the responses - non insurance... Then I looked at what thread I was in - General Sailing Forum... Oh I laughed my ass off - ok I get it now...

LMFAO - sorry I had to point that out - carry on...
Love2 boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 19:08   #94

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America
Talking Re: Thoughts about going uninsured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
It looks like there are not many people in this thread I'd want to share an anchorage with.
We have a 50 year old boat over 60' and we're fully insured. When the rust bucket sails in and anchors to weather of us we move.
Come on we have good scotch and a tig welder lol feelings hurt can’t be all as good as Benz he travelled the NWP in its entirety without ever hitting a single thing lol it seems like freedom expressed in the books/usedtube links they include on there signatures is bulls&$@ but the sales pay for diesel lol loving the thread. Seems like the real world followed everyone to sea what’s the point…… did slocum have liability? liability seems almost mandatory but calling people an idiot is showing how negative you all are after years of so called freedom. It’s the same people posting how they would have fixed it with expensavite and coat it with unaobtanuim. Chill please reading your bios ypur supposed to be the example at your ages. Get uninsured boater clause fill the blender. Awaiting my ban the sponsors anchors suck……
Old 25-01-2023, 19:22   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
Come on we have good scotch and a tig welder lol feelings hurt can’t be all as good as Benz he travelled the NWP in its entirety without ever hitting a single thing lol it seems like freedom expressed in the books/usedtube links they include on there signatures is bulls&$@ but the sales pay for diesel lol loving the thread. Seems like the real world followed everyone to sea what’s the point…… did slocum have liability? liability seems almost mandatory but calling people an idiot is showing how negative you all are after years of so called freedom. It’s the same people posting how they would have fixed it with expensavite and coat it with unaobtanuim. Chill please reading your bios ypur supposed to be the example at your ages. Get uninsured boater clause fill the blender. Awaiting my ban the sponsors anchors suck……
Drunkonwatch, sober up and try again, that rant is unintelligible.
Old 25-01-2023, 19:52   #96

read it seems ok to me. I was saying people pulling the hook because the boat is rusty is not indicative of seamanship it’s about equity. Everyone so uptight on here. Pointed out Benz is perfect navigating the NWP without hitting anything. and everyone likes to tell people what to do while they shamelessly promote tired books and links to payed YouTube gigs. Get uninsured boater clause. I was kicked off the trawler forum for bashing the bearing yachts made in China when I was fighting for the dark side it’s a joke. It was there sponsor. But if it’s such a fun lifestyle why does this forum seem populated with the grouchy guy on the big boat in the Marina. Sober up lol never….. like get a real job too…. It’s posted in general boating!! Lurked here for years and your proving my points. I’m not a typist never asked about words a minute ever to crab fish….
Old 25-01-2023, 20:34   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

No one who chooses not to insure is claiming to be a perfect boater--several people have made that accusation, and it's simply ridiculous. Knowing that accidents can and do happen is part of the risk calculation that we make with our eyes open: what's the chance I'll damage someone's boat, given the way I operate mine? What if my anchor drags?--well, I'm pretty confident in my anchoring technique. What if I scratch someone's hull in a marina?--well, I go into a marina once every X months or years, and have always maintained control....it's not about a false sense of perfection, it's about confidence born of experience.
Let the frightened scoff, but it's not blind hubris that makes us reject insurance: it's a sober and prudent assessment of the reality of our situation.
Old 25-01-2023, 20:48   #98

Thumbs down Re: Thoughts about going uninsured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Drunkonwatch, sober up and try again, that rant is unintelligible.
I see not YouTube but surveys see my point yet
Old 25-01-2023, 20:56   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
No one who chooses not to insure is claiming to be a perfect boater--several people have made that accusation, and it's simply ridiculous. Knowing that accidents can and do happen is part of the risk calculation that we make with our eyes open: what's the chance I'll damage someone's boat, given the way I operate mine? What if my anchor drags?--well, I'm pretty confident in my anchoring technique. What if I scratch someone's hull in a marina?--well, I go into a marina once every X months or years, and have always maintained control....it's not about a false sense of perfection, it's about confidence born of experience.
Let the frightened scoff, but it's not blind hubris that makes us reject insurance: it's a sober and prudent assessment of the reality of our situation.
perfectly punctuated I agree it’s all a perception of safety one way or another financial or otherwise and mad respect on your travels..
Old 25-01-2023, 23:28   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
Think of liability insurance as protecting you. Some is often required, because some folks don't have the assets to protect other people's property.

As far as insuring for your own potential property loss or risk, that's a calculation everyone has to do for themselves.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:45   #101

To clarify something that keeps popping up, paying the insurance isn't the issue. I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost to have. We would definitely keep liability but I'm just trying to determine if it's a waste of money to have full coverage with how much it costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Some good points here but overall this logic is flawed, especially for someone who is using their boat as their home. I am not trying to trivialize $4000, but if one cannot afford that amount to pay for insurance I question their ability to cruise extensively as a $4000 bill for repairs or something else could easily come up.

I have just gone through this insurance searching game again and it isn't fun. Whether you can get insurance and how much you might pay is directly related to age and size of your boat. As we have heard, many companies simply are not insuring boats over 20 years old and boats of 40 feet or more. Luckily I found a reasonable plan/premium for my next annual renewal cycle. Last year when I searched for alternatives I got one of those premiums/deductible set of numbers that was 3 times what I had previously been paying. This year I found something good and will be switching in March.

By all means Nuru - please at least get liability. You owe it to yourself and quite frankly to the rest of us (who won't be happy when someone who is uninsured hits our boat).
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:52   #102

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
To clarify something that keeps popping up, paying the insurance isn't the issue. I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost to have. We would definitely keep liability but I'm just trying to determine if it's a waste of money to have full coverage with how much it costs.
You have to look at what the impact would be on your life and finances if you lost the boat with no hull coverage. And then balance that against the cost of the insurance. As well as what the costs would be with a higher deductible or other changes in coverage to let you absorb more risk but not all of it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 07:08   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You have to look at what the impact would be on your life and finances if you lost the boat with no hull coverage. And then balance that against the cost of the insurance. As well as what the costs would be with a higher deductible or other changes in coverage to let you absorb more risk but not all of it.
Plus the potential of a law suit from someone you hit
and the the potential hundred$ of thousand$ for enviromental remediation if you sink.
Old 26-01-2023, 07:11   #104

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Plus the potential of a law suit from someone you hit
and the the potential hundred$ of thousand$ for enviromental remediation if you sink.

That's on the liability side, which nuru mentioned he's planning on keeping regardless.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 09:07   #105

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Missed a key factor: likelihood of the event.