Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 12:09   #1

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37
This might not go well but here goes...

Crealock 37 from 1978. Original owner gone and now its mine.
He was a minimalist to be sure but hadn’t sailed it over last few years.

Here goes:
What dont I need.
I:
Got a boat that has dry bilges and floats.
Rudder
Small Pisces 2 stroke engine that is doing well
Old sails
Rigging OK.
Reef lines OK
Anchors OK.
Depth, vhf, lights ok
Paper charts and Navx and gps and cell phone and IPad

I am wondering if I really need anything else. Things like lazy jacks, topping lift, boom vang, preventer, autopilot, radar, AIS. I am sure there are tons of things I could get to keep me in the marina with my new to me boat but how minimal can I go?

FYI: inland PNW San Juans only; no off shore, no overnight sailing.
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:28   #2

Re: This might not go well but here goes...

I’d say you are set. Lazy jacks? The name says it all - only needed if lazy. Topping lift and boom vang? They’ll only cancel each other out. Preventer? You can rig something or just stick your wife out there to hold the boom with her backside. That other stuff is just something else that will break.

I would consider a cooler for the beer.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:46   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Only you can decide what suits you and meets the minimum requirements to adhere to the navigational and marine safety requirements. That Isuzu Pisces engine is nearly impossible to find replacement parts for. Old sails usually means out of shape and lacking in the ability to efficiently move to windward. OK rigging and anchors are subjective statements which may preclude obtaining insurance and a peaceful nights sleep.
If this is a new adventure for you there are numerous books available to guide you through the process of boat ownership. Most start with far simpler craft than what you have and learn the process of boat ownership in small bites.
This forum is a great resource. Good luck.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
Preventer? You can rig something or just stick your wife out there to hold the boom with her backside.
I know this was presented more than a bit tongue-in-cheek, but don't do this --ever... unless you want to get rid of your wife.

I personally know of several cases of boats using the "human preventor" as described, usually race crews on a downwind run back to the yacht club. A wind shift as they approached shore, and a gybe... all of the human preventers were launched across the deck and into the water. In at least one case significant injuries resulted.

You just can NOT stop the boom once it gets back-winded even in fairly light winds--even if you THINK you can. And I want to be there when you try to explain to your wife than her backside is big enough to work....
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 13:01   #5

Boat: Hunter 410

I've not sailed PNW, but I'll attempt to comment anyway.

Old sails - you will notice that you don't go as fast or point upwind as well, but this is liveable

Lines OK - sometimes it's hard to tell. Had a mainsheet fail very unexpectedly mere hours after completing a refit in dock. I had no idea the line was in trouble until it failed. It's worthwhile to have spare line so you can jury rig something and limp home after a failure.

Paper charts and iPad - I've never navigated off an iPad, but I really like the confidence of a modern chartplotter. It takes all the stress out of navigating shallow waters. Combined with crowdsourced info (in my case ActiveCaptain), I can sail in shallow areas without constant panic about running aground. If you can navigate confidently and not have to spend tons of time calculating your approaches, great. If not, I'd say the peace of mind from a chartplotter with updated charts loaded is well worth it.

You say the ground tackle is "OK" - I would really test this system and think carefully. You never know when a thunderstorm will roll through and bring 50+kt winds while you're on the hook. An oversized, modern anchor combined with reliable rode (I like all chain, but depending on your intended use you might make a different decision) makes for an infinitely better night of sleep on the hook. If you expect to spend most nights in dock, then maybe you don't need to worry about it.

Lazy Jacks - I have lazy jacks and a stack pack. It's nice when dropping sail, but annoying when hoisting as sometimes the battens want to catch in the lazy jacks. For singlehanding (which is what I do 90% of the time), the lazy jacks are a must. I wouldn't be able to drop sail in an organized way without the stack pack. A dutchman system may be worth thinking about, but you have to think carefully about the wear on the dutchman itself as well as the sails. More expernsive would be a furling system on the main, but I don't personally think they're worth the money. If you expect to have crew every time you sail, maybe you can drop sail and stack it on the boom by hand every time. Otherwise, I think the lazy jacks are pretty much required.

Overall, my general advice would be to sail this boat a few times, and learn for yourself which systems work well and which are a pain. Spend your money making the painful parts less painful, and have a great sail!
Old 26-02-2021, 13:18   #6

Ahem...
I got the engine, runs good. If it breaks then so be it. Pardey on, (if you know what I mean...)
I dont need efficient upwind. I am messing around and staying away from lee shores. Sails can be inefficient and I am good with that, for now.
I have insurance now. I sleep easy. I am going with the subjective evaluation for now of my OK rigging and anchors.
I have been reading. I have sailed before just not this big. No I am not going to start smaller and build up. Will sell and move on if thats the case.
Lines OK—>I have replaced ALL with new.
I am confident of anchor and rode. Its good.
I am not single hand. I say turn in to wind; give the tiller to wife and go up and bring that sail down and tie it up, (in all honesty, will go out with >than wife for awhile just in case more bodies are needed due to my simplistic and minimalist view of the situation).
Thank you all.
Old 26-02-2021, 13:35   #7

Boat: Pearson 367

Lazy jacks can be made cheaply if you do them yourself. The upside and downside of your location is that winds are light and fickle. Old sails aren't going to power the boat well so you might be motoring a lot. The upside is that you don't need a heavy duty autopilot. Look for a used tiller pilot. If I have to hand steer for all my watches there will be a mutiny!
Old 26-02-2021, 13:39   #8

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmzngGrace View Post
Ahem...
I got the engine, runs good. If it breaks then so be it. Pardey on, (if you know what I mean...)
I dont need efficient upwind. I am messing around and staying away from lee shores. Sails can be inefficient and I am good with that, for now.
I have insurance now. I sleep easy. I am going with the subjective evaluation for now of my OK rigging and anchors.
I have been reading. I have sailed before just not this big. No I am not going to start smaller and build up. Will sell and move on if thats the case.
Lines OK—>I have replaced ALL with new.
I am confident of anchor and rode. Its good.
I am not single hand. I say turn in to wind; give the tiller to wife and go up and bring that sail down and tie it up, (in all honesty, will go out with >than wife for awhile just in case more bodies are needed due to my simplistic and minimalist view of the situation).
Thank you all.

Sounds like you've answered your question for yourself, excellent! For "messing around and staying away from lee shores" a laser will suffice. All the extras you already own, and anything else you consider adding/refurbing/removing/changing is just about making your time sailing more enjoyable. Head out with the wife as often as possible and continue developing your own opinion on what upgrades/changes are worth the money. In the meantime you have a boat that floats and sails - so have a wonderful time!
Old 26-02-2021, 13:52   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmzngGrace View Post
Crealock 37 from 1978. Original owner gone and now its mine.
He was a minimalist to be sure but hadn’t sailed it over last few years.

Here goes:
What dont I need.
I:
Got a boat that has dry bilges and floats.
Rudder
Small Pisces 2 stroke engine that is doing well
Old sails
Rigging OK.
Reef lines OK
Anchors OK.
Depth, vhf, lights ok
Paper charts and Navx and gps and cell phone and IPad

I am wondering if I really need anything else. Things like lazy jacks, topping lift, boom vang, preventer, autopilot, radar, AIS. I am sure there are tons of things I could get to keep me in the marina with my new to me boat but how minimal can I go?

FYI: inland PNW San Juans only; no off shore, no overnight sailing.

I've had boats with less... And was perfectly happy with them till I moved up to another level of use. And a Crealock has lots of room for expansion. When you want/need more stuff, you'll know it. Just buy as you need it.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 20:37   #10

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Use it as is and you will add adapt as you gain experience. PNW is pretty forgiving with mainly light air and good holding during normal cruising season. Get some cruising guides and see if you can entice an experienced crew member your first time or two. It is a grand area to explore.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 21:04   #11

Boat: Island Packet 349

You will need a dinghy or a kayak. And an autopilot.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 21:17   #12

Thank you all for your kind and upbeat, optimistic posts.
Not sure what “holding” means but I get the sense of the post.

Regards the dinghy/autopilot, I got the dinghy. The autopilot I got but havent tried it yet. Will do that at the marina to make sure I know where, who, what, how...

See you out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E39F097A-192F-43F8-9F4C-F020216337D1.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	233448  
Old 26-02-2021, 21:19   #13

Boat: Island Packet 349

Nice looking boat! Where do you keep it?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 21:55   #14

Shilshole marina, Ballard, Seattle, WA.
Old 26-02-2021, 21:56   #15

Where are you?