Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 16:28   #31
Registered User
 
Matt sachs's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Tennessee
Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Posts: 859
Images: 18
Re: This Made Me Sad

+1 for steel. Clean the crap out and sink her is deep water. no muss no fuss. And the fishes have a home for a while.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 16:39   #32
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back in California working on the farm
Boat: Westsail 28 and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,606
Images: 5
Re: This Made Me Sad

I talked to a guy in Texas who gets most of these boats for free or very little if they have a few pieces of decent gear (roller furling, self tailing winches). He drags them up on his trailer, drives off to some land he has leased and cuts the metal out of them, removes the keel (Iron or lead) , then he granulated the fiberglass and it is sold to a paving company that found it gives better traction and lasts longer.
But get this...Now the city near where he does this wants to shut him down because a school is 2 miles away and airborne toxic waste might make it's way there.
Never let any good deed go unpunished!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:13   #33
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 18,154
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Aluminium can be completely recycled

PS Sorry, I couldn't resist, I have a wicked streak
Ahhh, but SL, would you want your beloved alloy boat to be reincarnated as a beer can?

Better a Viking funeral type exit.

Or better yet, do what Paul and Susan Mitchell did with their classic schooner when she sprang a plank and was irretrievably sinking in the South Pacific: removed all salvageble items and those of sentimental value, set all her sails, flew flags of the many countries they had visited in her, trimmed her out and stepped into the dinghy and retreated to a friends boat whilst she sailed herself under.

Now that's class... but really sad... really, really sad.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, back in Port Cygnet once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31   #34
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,977
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahhh, but SL, would you want your beloved alloy boat to be reincarnated as a beer can?

Better a Viking funeral type exit.

Or better yet, do what Paul and Susan Mitchell did with their classic schooner when she sprang a plank and was irretrievably sinking in the South Pacific: removed all salvageble items and those of sentimental value, set all her sails, flew flags of the many countries they had visited in her, trimmed her out and stepped into the dinghy and retreated to a friends boat whilst she sailed herself under.

Now that's class... but really sad... really, really sad.

Cheers,

Jim
Ever practical, I think I would spend time trying to plug the leak rather than hoisting flags LOL. There was a good YouTube link posted on the Fibreglass vs Aluminium thread about plugging leaks:
YouTube
This gave a couple of techniques that I had not thought of and they were surprisingly effective. It made it much easier for them knowing where the hole was though, I can imagine trying to rip up settees and beds (let alone kitchens) trying to find the hole or access it.

It would be painful losing our beloved boat in any way, but I think I would actually prefer it to be scrapped and made into beer cans (remember I am an Aussie) rather than sunk .
__________________
SWL (enthusiastic amateur)
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:09   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Marathon Fl.
Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Posts: 113
Images: 3
Re: This Made Me Sad

I could use those hatches and portlights. Theyre better than 40 year old ones that I have on my boat. And those cleats too. One mans trash is another mans come uppance.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:45   #36
Moderator
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 18,154
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Ever practical, I think I would spend time trying to plug the leak rather than hoisting flags LOL.
...
It would be painful losing our beloved boat in any way, but I think I would actually prefer it to be scrapped and made into beer cans (remember I am an Aussie) rather than sunk .
G'Day SL,

Paul and Susan were (and are) highly competent professionals. They were near an isolated atoll anchorage and had a friend with a large boat nearby as well... thus the chance to salvage what they did. They gave repair their best shot but found that it was hopeless and decided to follow the plan described. To make thigns worse, the boat had been sold and they were delivering her to the new owner... almost. And for those cynics aboard... she was not insured.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II, back in Port Cygnet once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 15:26   #37
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Bestevaer 49
Posts: 14,977
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day SL,
Paul and Susan were (and are) highly competent professionals. They were near an isolated atoll anchorage and had a friend with a large boat nearby as well... thus the chance to salvage what they did. They gave repair their best shot but found that it was hopeless and decided to follow the plan described. To make thigns worse, the boat had been sold and they were delivering her to the new owner... almost. And for those cynics aboard... she was not insured.
Cheers,
Jim
Oh, now that is sad .
Very lucky though that they had another boat close by to pick them up. Loss of boat is bad enough, loss of life would have been worse!
__________________
SWL (enthusiastic amateur)
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 19:09   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Alberg 30
Posts: 358
Re: This Made Me Sad

Good :-) Though we have few derelicts here, I'd rather see a boat properly stripped and salvaged than rotting away on a mooring making a mess and preventing others from getting out there or giving a bad impression of boats. Same goes for me :-) If I'm dead, rather they get the useful bits out instead of it all going to waste.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 23:21   #39
Registered User
 
mausgras's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Thailand and Laos
Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Posts: 450
Images: 17
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Good :-) Though we have few derelicts here, I'd rather see a boat properly stripped and salvaged than rotting away on a mooring making a mess and preventing others from getting out there or giving a bad impression of boats. Same goes for me :-) If I'm dead, rather they get the useful bits out instead of it all going to waste.
In Langkawi (Malaysia) I looked at a once beautiful vessel that was a deceased estate. It had obviously been a much loved boat. It had been extensively modified and personalised by a skilled seaman. One of the cabins had even been turned into a machine shop. But it had been sitting at its slip for a number of years gathering seaweed and rapidly deteriorating.

The descendants in Europe were asking a ridiculous price for it either out of misguided understanding for its market worth or sentimental reasons.

It made me sad to see a boat once so doted upon now so neglected.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 22:39   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Alberg 30
Posts: 358
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
In Langkawi (Malaysia) I looked at a once beautiful vessel that was a deceased estate. It had obviously been a much loved boat. It had been extensively modified and personalised by a skilled seaman. One of the cabins had even been turned into a machine shop. But it had been sitting at its slip for a number of years gathering seaweed and rapidly deteriorating.

The descendants in Europe were asking a ridiculous price for it either out of misguided understanding for its market worth or sentimental reasons.

It made me sad to see a boat once so doted upon now so neglected.

There was one here too like that... crying shame. the refit was well over 600, 000$(closer to 8 if I remember right). Every plank, all custom interior, new watermaker, new cabinets, new engine, all new rigging, the guy even gold plated all the bronze so he wouldn't have to polish it. Lovely looking boat. They just finished it up, and he couldn't pay, bankrupt, a wheeler and dealer in the real estate world.
Bailifs insisted on asking 300, 000$ for long enough that she was in rough shape, maybe too rough to be worth much more than salvage, and still asking 70k last I looked. Would have made a beautiful boat for someone...
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 00:34   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,441
Re: This made me sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That's one thing I really like about wooden boats--they are biodegradable.
or metal boats : they're recyclable
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 00:10   #42
Registered User
 
Nessus's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 69
Re: This Made Me Sad

The thing had probably been on the yachtbroker for the last 10 years for $65k.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 07:23   #43
Registered User
 
S/V Blondie-Dog's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marco Island
Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13
Posts: 102
Re: This Made Me Sad

[QUOTE=BlackOak;1100253]I dont know why I felt that way, but it made me so sad I couldnt stay an watch it happening. Today, at the end of my dock, these guys towed in and tied up this 30' Irwin.



Yippers... seeing pics of that sailboat getting trashed brought a tear to my eye as well. snif, snif.

Yet I'm pretty sure that I would have felt otherwise had it been a powerboat.

Jest' sayin'...
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Opinion on Chinese Engines TD226B-4C3 col blumson Engines and Propulsion Systems 72 26-02-2013 15:37
Living the Dream . . . Sad, Sad Dream ! otherthan General Sailing Forum 10 30-07-2011 15:08
Mama Nido made it to Panama!! linabu Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 27-06-2011 07:18

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.