Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 22:01   #1

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Thinking of switching to a buoy moorage

We have been tossing around the idea of going to bouy moorage, theres a great mooring field here in Stuart http://www.cityofstuart.com/departme...gemainbody.asp

Anyhow, been trying to weigh the advantages and disadvantages, pricing is the same, i had originally wanted the dock for working on the boat, however they just installed a bunch of docks that you can tie up to for less then 24 hours for free, which pretty much negates my previous concern.

Disadvantages to our dock is 1) we can only leave 2 hours before and after high tide, the boat sits on its keel the rest of the time. Which means, this week for example we leave at noon and come home at midnight. 2) Privacy, our boat is on a narrow channel with wall to wall boats, it's nice to say for example sleep on the friday night, head out sat morning, this is a bit hard to do when you are on crowded canal lined with boats and houses (they also dont really like you sleeping on the boat) not to mention no easily accessible pump out.

Disadvantages of the buoy 1) no shore power, i have solar panel and was planning on getting a generator for ac on super hot days and hot water 2) to fill water tanks i would need to tie up for a few, not really a big deal, but worth mentioning

Is there any major disadvantage to the mooring field that i should consider that i am not?

Thanks guys!
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:17   #2
Kai Nui

How about dighy access? I really depends on your situation. Trying to do the 9-5 thing while on a mooring could be problematic. Also, if you haven't done it, be careful not to underestimate your power needs.
Old 08-08-2006, 22:20   #3

They have a huge dinghy dock and this area is about 10 mins from my house. We are however not liveaboard, the boat will be unattended several nights a week even though my wife will drive by it to and from work.
Old 08-08-2006, 22:28   #4
Kai Nui

That in mind, it sounds like a good option. A little less convenient, but then again, if you are not living aboard, keeping the boat ready to go out is less of an issue. You will become acutely aware of any battery issues. Nothing worse than a boat on the mooring with a dead battery.
Old 08-08-2006, 22:35   #5

I've got dual batteries and a large solar panel I have the bilge isolated to one battery, so I switch the bat switch to bat one for my lights and tv and save the 2nd for starting and bilge, before the solar panel I've had it on anchor with no engine charging for 2 solid days. Of course since the other guy on the dock keeps unplugging my extension cord I've had 4 or 5 days just on the solar lol.
Old 08-08-2006, 22:43   #6
Kai Nui

Sounds like you re set. At least I hope your neighbor doesn't drop the cord in the water
Old 09-08-2006, 04:20   #7

Why is this other dude unplugging ya cord???Anyway,as what Kai said,if ya not actually living aboard it wouldnt be much of a hassle.What I can not understand is that its the same price as a dock mooreing.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:24   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Green slime going to green hair grows on boat bottoms in the Stuart Anchorage (the official name of the mooring field) faster than any place I have seen. Yes, even on good bottom paint. Power boats on the river often keep the area waked up.

Mooring field is good, but even that "huge" dinghy dock gets pretty crowded. Last fall, the dinghy dock, although new, was beginning to break up. It floats but they didn’t put enough flex joints in it to handle the conditions (see wakes above). The wood fenders were splintering. Going to the park nearby and tying to the wall there is a decent option. We did that often since we have a dog that wants to do shore patrol a couple of times per day.

Still, the Stuart Anchorage is convenient and a favorite of ours. The people are nice and the location is good. Wish there was access to high speed internet.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32   #9

they just added wifi internet at no charge, maybe 4 months ago. The dinghy dock was also rebuilt umm, dont quote me but i think around 6 months ago.

The green slime is all over the st lucie river thanks to the toxic crap that is drained from lake o. When we crossed lake it looked like pee soup and the boat was rediculously high in the water.

As far as the dude unplugging me i dont know, it would be one thing if he plugged me back in, but i think when he cuts his fish and what not he plugs a fan in and needs both outlets, we share a 120 plug in.

What do you mean about the prices being the same? I am not in a marina now, just a private dock, i pay $250 a month, the only extras i have are power and water. The stuart anchorage, has showers, laundry, mobile pump out, internet and various other services which puts them at $250
Old 10-08-2006, 14:01   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Nothing worse than a boat on the mooring with a dead battery." One would think.

But the "jump kits" sold for cars these days, usually with a 12v 17Ah AGM battery in them are actually enough to start an 18hp diesel engine that's in reasonable shape. Don't ask me how I know this.<G>

The battery alone can be found for as little as $25, the complete jump kit thing, which includes cables and a 12V socket and the AC recharger as well, often $30-50. And those AGM batteries will hold a charge for many months without going down.

I've also seen the hand crank used on engine this size--but not successfully with less than two beefy guys to crank it and a fifth hand to throw the compression lever.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 19:18   #11
Kai Nui

As long as the battery does not go completely flat. Many of the protable jumpers have a low voltage switch so they will not turn on unless they read a certain voltage from the battery being jumped. Don't ask me how I know that either But, I digress...
Old 10-08-2006, 19:58   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" Many of the protable jumpers have a low voltage switch so they will not turn on unless they read a certain voltage from the battery being jumped."

Interesting. All the more reason to disconnect one battery then, and just start from the jump pack?

I figure, turning a 1.5-2kW starter motor has GOT to exceed the recommended current draw on a 12v17Ah battery, but given the choices, sometimes rules have to be broken.<G>

Now...does leaving the "deadish" 10V battery in parallel with the jump pack lessen the load on the jump pack? Or just suck off more power which would be better given to the starter?

Maybe I can get a DOE grant fund to set that up with meters and research the answer.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 20:03   #13
Kai Nui

You have my vote I think we should all be given grants to continue the indepth study of the cruising community
Old 10-08-2006, 20:16   #14

lol, my solar panel will keep the bat charged enough to start and run the bilge pump.

I do have a crank and I have played with it (ok that didnt come out right), it's not something i would want to do on a regular basis. Luckily my engine always starts on the first turn so I dont need a lot of juice at any rate, it's a brand new crate motor.
Old 10-08-2006, 23:41   #15

Latitude9.5,$250 per month with power,250 per month without.Plus with the former ya can walk to ya boat.I just thought there would be a difference in cost.I went to the link and it sounds great!I wish it was like that here in OZ in some places,but, unfortunatly it,s not.Mudnut,
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote