Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2023, 15:15   #46

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Theft and hostility Hollywood FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Then I'll you what you are full of. You don't have a 70-gallon holding tank. And neither does anyone else anchored there.

If you think nobody has a 70 gallon holding tank, then you're the one that's full of crap. Many boats have too-small tanks, but far from all. My 38 foot boat has a 70 gallon tank in it, and that's the same size as the original tank it replaced. Still couldn't go a month full time on the boat (with 2 of us) without a pumpout though.
Old 29-04-2023, 15:28   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Gotta say when I think of Floridaians, 'strong
environmentalists' is not top of my list. Maybe I'm wrong though!
Old 29-04-2023, 15:37   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
I've been sailing off and on in Florida for more than 40 years.

I remember when sailors treated the area with respect, and got respect in return, and I now see many inconsiderate sailors abusing their "rights" and angering rightfully pissed-off residents.

North and South Lake didn't have anchored boats eight or nine years ago. They are not "traditional" anchoring spots. They were overwhelmed by inconsiderate people who live long-term on boat. Kind of like the homeless camps you see.

Floridians tend to be strong environmentalists living in a fragile land.

Tell me you weren't pumping sewage into South Lake while you were there 16 days, and tell me you didn't pump overboard when you were near Peanut Island for more than a month.

Then I'll you what you are full of. You don't have a 70-gallon holding tank. And neither does anyone else anchored there.

Untreated sewage can cause e coli, cholera and a host of other diseases. The effects of dumping sewage linger for a long time.

But what do you care about endangering the health of residents who use the water for kayaking, etc? You're only there a few weeks, and your main goal is freeloading on the amenities of others.

The abandoned boats are also polluting the water with diesel, oil, gasoline, etc. It will cost locals a bundle to clean up after the inconsiderates. But hey, you're off to Guatemala. No dollars out of your wallet.

I guess that's the point with you.

I've been questioned but never hassled in all of my time sailing Florida. But then, the sailors I know and I are considerate of the people who live where we visit. They are considerate back.
First of all, you just like to assume about damn near everything! When did I say we haven't moved? When did I say we don't like to day sail?? And Lake Worth, we went sailing all the time!! What's the matter with you?

No dollars out of my wallet huh? We're residents of Florida. And we've spent a crap ton of money in this town alone, not to mention all over the east coast, provisioning and doing repairs.

Seriously, what is your deal? I posted this as a heads up to avoid this area and that people are upset about cruisers and they steal their stuff and throw dog crap in their boats. We've lived aboard, followed the rules, and caused zero harm.

Ignorant people who don't turn towards the enforcers of the law and make them do their jobs, are the problem. Not us. And if you aren't banging down doors demanding the city and state enforce all of these issues, you are also the problem.

And yes, we will be happily leaving for Guatemala to get away from people with your attitude.
Old 29-04-2023, 15:56   #49

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.fortitude View Post
First of all, you just like to assume about damn near everything! When did I say we haven't moved? When did I say we don't like to day sail?? And Lake Worth, we went sailing all the time!! What's the matter with you?

My memory is three bascule bridges and nine miles along the ICW to get from South Lake through Port Everglades, the nearest inlet.

So you're saying you did a tedious 18-mile round trip along a jam-packed, narrow waterway, dodging cruise ships and freighters, every time you needed to empty the holding tank?

Yep. Sure you did.
Old 29-04-2023, 18:08   #50

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.fortitude View Post
Wait, wait, wait. Did you just approve of someone throwing dog crap in our friends dinghy?? They literally took that crap, had to have walked past 1-2 garbage cans, and threw it in his dink! You're telling me that if an owner doesn't pick up their dog's crap in your neighborhood, you can then pick up that crap throw it at anyone's property that also owns a dog? That's some total BS logic there. Wow.

And as far as the derelict boats, I said this in another reply...The city and state have to get off their butts and start enforcing the rules. That IS the solution. Banning or treating proper cruisers like crap is a copout.

Why are people so quick to blame others when they should be shouting at city hall!!

"NOT THAT IT WAS RIGHT". - did you miss that part??

In any case, I am really tired of all the dogs and dog crap everywhere you try to walk.. So I can understand.
Old 29-04-2023, 18:47   #51

Is a “small mega yacht” anything like a tall dwarf?
Old 29-04-2023, 18:59   #52

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
"NOT THAT IT WAS RIGHT". - did you miss that part??

In any case, I am really tired of all the dogs and dog crap everywhere you try to walk.. So I can understand.

I strongly suspect the dog feces was from the boatie who walked his dog in the neighborhood without picking up the remains, as is legally required.

This situation isn't that difficult to understand.

You show up uninvited, anchor 50 yards off someone's backyard, dump your sewage into the lake they use for recreation and wonder why the local residents aren't greeting you with open arms.

Residents bought these homes when the North and South Lakes were recreational areas where you could sail Lasers, kayaks, water ski, canoe and swim.

Then the homeless boat people move in, whether permanent or only for a few weeks, and the personal slice of paradise for the locals is gone.

As a community, we need to work to eradicate the Ugly Boater. Sailors get a bad rep because of the actions of a few. It ruins cruising for all of us.
Old 29-04-2023, 19:03   #53

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Is a “small mega yacht” anything like a tall dwarf?
It's like an 80 footer
Old 29-04-2023, 19:42   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thread closed for unacceptable level of bickering.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
wood