Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 14:41   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: The Worst Jobs

I would keep such a person way away from scrubbing the deck. Especially a teak deck.

Dish washing? Well, one has to understand water management, keep good balance and NOT vomit into the kitchen sink, hence not a place for a greenhorn either.

In fact, I would not give any boat job on my boat to any unskilled person.

But if you show such a person how to do things, and if they are a smart person, then I think they could handle just about anything.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 14:55   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

removal of hairs from bilge....and from the shower sump and both pumps...---yummmy job....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:05   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are with Zee on this one INTO THE BILGE Lubber !! LOL cleaning the bilge and removeing the dipers and replaceing them shows them quickly that we are trying to help the Invirement !! and Bob hates doing it LOL
Old 04-07-2012, 17:04   #19

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
As I said, if you have a permanently installed MSD (e.g., factory installed) you, by law have to have a holding tank in USA waters. See: The West Advisor: Heads Holding Tanks and http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/CleanMarinas/pdf/msd.pdf

and lots of other references. The CF threads about installing composting toilets are pretty much directed at removing the potential hassles of potty police, etc.

That holding tank capacity can be one pint to many gallons, but needs to be there along with the other required valves, etc.

Add in the USA situation with "No-discharge Zones" and you can see that anything less than a reasonably sized tank will quickly become full and then you are "S... Out of Luck" being able to use your on board MSD facilities.

Then add in that in more and more places the LEO's are dropping dye tablets into your MSD system so you cannot "cheat" and pump overboard when nobody is watching - supposedly.

Add in the average intelligence level of the "potty police" and you can anticipate a high level of hassles if the holding tanks do not exist anymore.

You will be severely restricting your cruising areas if you remove your holding tanks to 3rd World countries without "eco-conscious" zealots.

Again, no problemo if you cruise away from 1st World places - but over the years I have watched cruisers "modify" their systems and then when it comes time to sell the boat they end up paying significant money putting all that stuff back into the boat and getting it working again.

Is it really worth it? Just to gain a few cubic feet of extra storage space. . .

Not to be too nit-picky but, it is not a law that you "have to have a holding tank".

It is perfectly legal to have no head at all, or a self-contained system, like a port-o-pot, or a composting head.

If a head is installed and there is an overboard discharge option, then a holding tank is absolutely necessary.
Old 04-07-2012, 17:08   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

The worst job on my boat is keeping it clean. I don't know who makes all these messes, but I sure wish somebody would clean that sht up

cleaning a dirty hull is not exactly pleasant either.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35   #21

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

In the navy, there was a torpedo with a copper head. The recruits got to polish this when not otherwise occupied marching or saluting.

Cleaning out the grease traps on the mess decks was also favored for the lowly. There was always somebody chipping paint and then painting.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:03   #22

I think we're getting a little off the subject. Perhaps I should have explained that the reason I am interested in these horrible jobs is that I am writing a book that takes place largely at sea and there is an unskilled person on board who needs to have things to do but I wasn't sure what exactly. So if you could think help me come up with a short list of dirty shipboard jobs that don't require any skill or much training I would be much obliged.
Sailwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 15:14   #23

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

Chip paint. clean, hull and dishes peel potatoes scrub and clean. mend holes in socks and other cabin boy duties.
Short and simple. clean and assist cook
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 16:03   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailwriter View Post
Hello there, I was just wondering what jobs on board a ship an unskilled hand could do aboard a sailing ship with minimal help or supervision. I imagine they could scrub the deck and do the dishes, but what else could they do? And of the jobs an unskilled hand could do, what would you consider to be the worst, the most distasteful, of the lot?
I think the "distasteful" part of the question is leading us astray.

A skill you could pick up quickly that would give you good access to the yachting world would be brightwork. By that I mean the whole process of varnishing teak or mahogany. It involves a lot of prep work in the form of taping and sanding. You could probably learn the greater part of it by apprenticing with an expert for a month on two.
Old 12-07-2012, 16:17   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

On ships all positions require at least some training and knowledge. So to say an unskilled person on a ships describes someone who does not exist in the real world.

Ship companies simply do not hire people without any skills. They all have at least some qualifications within their departments. I have seen Chiefs repairing sewage pumps.

There are a lot of distasteful jobs on ships and they are not all done by the lowest man on the totem pole. I have seen Chiefs repairing sewage pumps.

Not many yachts in this world are considered ships and you are asking about ships.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:39   #26

Both preferably when it is a little lumpy out, for deck, mail bouy watch and for ER watch finding and polishing the golden rivet.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 11:22   #27

Boat: OEM, proportional

Uh oh, I got a bad feeling about this....but, what is the "golden rivet" ? (cringes)
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 14:12   #28

You have to find it first to know that!
Old 13-07-2012, 14:37   #29

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hmmm, let's see now, golden rivet, where could that be....that would be non-magnetic and corrosion proof, so I'd start hunting around somewhere near the compass. Or, it's just an excuse to get a noob all confobulated and going into all sorts of unpleasant places whilst taking the mickey.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 16:28   #30

Many a aspiring deckhand have diligently scanned the horizon for the ever elusive mail bouy and aspiring oiler hunted the bilge for that rivet but as far as I know know one has succeeded???????