Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 22:24   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
The Unattended Boat - How Quickly It Can Go Wrong

I left my boat in Florida at a dock to go away from a April to now.

An incredible chain of events did their best to sink her (she’s unsinkable unless broken up, even then, it would all still float flat on the water in bits. Ha ha.)

So here’s how quickly things can go south. Incidentally, I think I understand where that expression came from. LOL

1) temporary support column for Aft roof lets go in violent thunderstorm wind and falls over.

2) Sagging aft roof puts tension on forward roof popping 2 windows out.

3). More awesome Florida summer weather brings hundreds of gallons of rain in through the missing windows

4) No problem. That’s what bilge pumps are for, right? Sure. Until a damn rodent moves in and chews through your solar cable.

5) Bilge pump runs and runs but eventually stops when batteries are completely drained out and destroyed because they are no longer being charged by the solar

6) bilge fills up with hundreds of gallons of water.

Thankfully, this is a bare fiberglass hull inside still and there was nothing to wreck with the water. However, it’s amazing how many things can go wrong in a row to conspire to sink a boat. If I had a different design that paid less attention to unsinkability, I’m sure my boat would be lost right now.

Sharing this to remind everyone to keep an eye on your boat and your neighbor’s boat when unattended.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 23:10   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The Unattended Boat - How Quickly It Can Go Wrong

I knew was going to be bad as soon as I saw

1) temporary support...

Hope it is sorted now!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 02:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I knew was going to be bad as soon as I saw

1) temporary support...

Hope it is sorted now!
Almost sorted.the roof has many supports. It was just a single one aft most.

But the chain of events. Utterly amazing
Old 27-10-2020, 02:59   #4

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Interesting- and in life, in general, how many times have we all gone- man, if I wouldn’t have done THAT then THIS wouldn’t have happened....
I like what you said about keeping your eye in your neighbors boat too- that saved a lot of damage to my hull this summer, when a storm and rising water caused the dock lines on my boat to falter.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 04:27   #5

Chotu, you stress-tested your vessel. Might be some lessons learned here about the integrity of your superstructure. Think about huge breaking waves, true green water, crashing down on your boat.

I understand that you are re-building your boat for lightweight, but what can be done to reduce flex?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:25   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

There's a sailboat that was left at anchor just south of the Indiantown Road bridge in Jupiter, FL. I cross the bridge every day on my way to and from work, and a couple of weeks ago the boat sank, and is still sitting there abandoned. Like you said, gear will conspire to fail at the worst possible time, and if you're not there to monitor things, cascade failures will occur. At least you are there to take responsibility for your boat, unlike the owner of this other wreck. lad she didn't actually sink, and that there won't be too much water damage. Good luck sorting out the mess.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 08:32   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We leave our boat annually during hurricane season in the Caribbean. Always hire a recommended boat watcher and show how to perform critical things. Some leave their boat in the water. I’m too skittish to do this.

We used to winter on the Great Lakes. I visited every weekend until permanent freeze was on and then after every snow to keep the tarp clear and batteries peak.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 10:44   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Scary story, thanks for sharing Chotu. Sends shivers up my spine.

I've had to leave my boat in Fiji since the borders shut in March. I was very concerned about water leaks, and also bugs. The boat is on a swing mooring so no rodents or other critters can take up residence thankfully.

But my concerns were put to bed as I discovered a local who does boat sitting. Very reasonable charge. Each week he'd send me an email (sometimes with photos) confirming what he'd checked (very basic; voltages, dry bilge, no signs of break in, open all the hatches for a little spell). He'd run the motor for a half hour every few weeks too.

Just knowing that someone was on hand keeping an eye on things was a real weight off my mind.
Old 27-10-2020, 15:25   #9

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Chotu: stinkin' rodents!!! good to hear your boat didnt sink...your story got me thinking, so drove down to our town marina where i have my dink tied to a pylon as my sailboat is now on the hard for the winter here in CT...happy to say I only had 1 inch of water in the stern and my outboard was still attached! Plan on running the outboard dry and then deflate and store for the winter...good luck with your project..dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:02   #10

To everyone else, thanks for the good vibes. I just thought the chain of events with a rodent cameo was too interesting not to share.
Old 27-10-2020, 16:05   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^ Fact is stranger than fiction, that's for sure!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 16:16   #12

You know, I was really ready to throw my Outback charge controller under the bus too. After all the people saying they aren’t reliable I figured it gave up.

the panels tested at a good voltage. It had to be the controller.

Yet the wires coming into the controller read no voltage. A mystery. Until I saw the gnawed through wire elsewhere.
Old 28-10-2020, 09:33   #13

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Say hi to Murphy for me...
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat