Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 21:09   #631

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
BINGO!!!

If there is nothing more complex than desire, there there is nothing more simple than contentment.
Very well said!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:43   #632

Boat: O'Day 28

A significant voyage for Newt. Nothing pussified about sailing the PNW. I'd be thinking about a tattoo. And a twin-engined boat. Like ah ... a catamaran. A big one. The size of an aircraft carrier but simple and cheap.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42   #633
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mikeybgoode.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54   #634

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

It is.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:11   #635
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Might have some bits of interest to some here....

Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity and the Pursuit of Happiness Blog
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 19:59   #636

thank you GordMay
mikeybgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 23:54   #637

Boat: Albin Vega 27
I love this thread!
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 02:26   #638

Boat: William Bollard, Gypsy Wave, 28'
Re: The Philosophy Behind Sailing Simply and Cheaply

Simple living,....i think that i must have a doctorate in that by now.

Bought my boat for 10k, haven't spent 5k on it to get it into pristine tip top condition. So for about 15k not including my electronics i have new sails, new motor, new paint new everything actually, stainless fittings everywhere, all lines to cockpit, big solar installation, gas inside and out, nice targa, teak and silky oak trim everywhere, etc etc even new winches

But to do that, i have scrounged like a thirsty bloodhound, even managed to suck water out of some dried and shriveled stones and taught myself how to do everything myself.

Just about everything i use is recycled in some way, all the timber trim, floors, whatever used to be beds, window frames, cupboards etc, i just scrounged the tip and then buy em cheap and mill them into the shapes that i need.

My milling table is an old table that cost 5 buck with a $9 circular saw screwed underneath. haha a $14 table saw that acts a router bench too.

All my ground tackle i got for nothing by asking and being in the right place at the right time, which aint bad as i now have 4 anchors and 2 sets of chain for a total cost of $20

Same for the two furlers that will install at some point in time, there worth nothing second hand, and when someone is changing them its usually cause the bearings dead or the extrusions a bit bent.

But on a small boat, you end up with more than enough extrusion to see you good, and you buy a new bearing and install it yourself add a grease nipple to the bearing as you do it too.

Mind you you usually have to take it down for the old owner so that the rigger doesn't just snap it up for scrap.

Paint can be bought cheaply, and even if its epoxy two pack, you just have to figure out who is moving the most of it in your area and then haggle the best deal.

Stainless, haha, what a joke, with the cost of getting someone to do my stainless work it was cheaper to buy a good welder 2nd hand, grad a heap of scrap from the scrap merchants and teach myself, i now have handrails, bollards, targa, cleats, brackets here and there, swim ladders etc etc.

man i could go on and on, even my dunny is a second hand item, some nitwit couldn't figure out why it wasn't working and threw it away, i just fixed it and have a near new toilet. sounds gross, haha but im happy.

same for the motor for one of my fridges on the boat, had a small circuity issue, needed some love, i got it for nothing, spend 60 cents to get a part and now i have a great fridge.

i grow my own plants and veggies, brew my own beer, to live cheaply i do my own washing and enjoy it, whenever i feel like something special to cook i learn a new recipe.

Im some ways by living as i do i have an idyillc life as i dont seem to have all the crap hanging over me that most people seem to have gathered.

Plus the biggest bonus is that as i dont spend much money and know how to live frugally i always seem to have coin in my pocket, what a bonus.

end of my rant,....

cheap boating it can be done, you just have to want to do it

Matthew
Old 28-08-2012, 06:50   #639

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
Nice post Matthew !
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 09:28   #640

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Im some ways by living as i do i have an idyillc life as i dont seem to have all the crap hanging over me that most people seem to have gathered.
Wtg Matthew...very good info!
Old 28-08-2012, 09:41   #641
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
That was no rant, that was a roadmap for others to follow that wish to live a simple and self sufficient life. Thanks for sharing something that contributes to the discussion. Good post.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 11:46   #642

It's been my mantra for the past 50 years, I read it when I was 15...

Living simple has always appealed to me.

It's much more than the peace of mind that I get knowing that I'll never have to care about failure of systems that are NOT on my boat or in my life...

It's rewarding in and of its self..

BUT we have "MADMEN" telling us that we shouldn't deprive ourselves...And unfortunately many folks buy into it...Good for the economy I guess...

Each to his own said the man as he kissed the cow..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 15:07   #643

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
.....That does [not?] mean that you cannot have money. It just means that you choose not to spend it for things that consume your time, and ultimately your life....
You mean "things" like a boat? Almost by definition, any modern cruising yacht consumes both significant time and money. Even a modest crusing yacht requires much more finanicial resources than the majority of the population of this planet even dream of having in their life time. Keep in mind that we cruisers probably represent way less than 1% of the population of the planet.

Like Thoreau, we can sail off on our boats, and "pretend" to be living simplistically and inexpensively for a little while, but sooner or later reality will come knocking.

If you want to cruise relatively simply and inexpensively then you need to take the same approach as the Pardeys aboard a boat like Serafin. Still this requires not insignificant financial resources compared to the rest of the world population. And, I'm pretty sure I would be spending most of my cruising time single-handed...as did Thoreau ashore.

If you really just want simple and cheap then ditch the boat, immediately and dramatically reducing complexity and costs in your life, and find a buddy who will let you squat on his land for a couple of years...like Thoreau did.

Picture attached, taken just off my dock, of a local sailing simply and inexpensively. If you want to know what it is like to _really_ continuously live like Thoreau played at doing then PM me and I can arrange for you to stay with a local family here for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Simply SAM_1436.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	45696  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 15:14   #644
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Good post Belize. I agree that having a boat, esp a boat large enough to live on, does complicate you life somewhat. I went through a stage in my life where I went without anything- including other people- for a while just to make sure I could do it. But living in a cave without any modern tools is not what this tread is about. It is basicly- now that we have made the choice to have a boat and enjoy sailing, why do some of us need less and actually find it more fun.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 17:21   #645

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Good post Belize. I agree that having a boat, esp a boat large enough to live on, does complicate you life somewhat. I went through a stage in my life where I went without anything- including other people- for a while just to make sure I could do it. But living in a cave without any modern tools is not what this tread is about. It is basicly- now that we have made the choice to have a boat and enjoy sailing, why do some of us need less and actually find it more fun.
Given the assumption of a boat, and all the hassles and expenses that go along with it, then you can still enjoy some "simple" aspects of cruising until all the complicated stuff comes a calling:

- Remote places which are only feasible to visit aboard a boat -- really enjoyed Cayos Cochinos Honduras last season.
- Getting to know the locals in such places
- Fishing
- Snorkeling
- Local food
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0149.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	45747   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0153.JPG
Views:	134