Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 12:15   #751

Re: The Philosophy Behind Sailing Simply and Cheaply

[QUOTE=foolishsailor;926336]You see people from all western socio economic groups sailing. Our economic strata doesnt apply to the rest of the world. Someone from the lower class In china not only can't go cruising,but it doesn't even register in their world view as an option.

I have many Asian-born friends who even with the option of going sailing now that they live in the US, just don't see it as a pastime, and can't figure out why us white folk like it. My one friend said to me humorously, "A boat isn't something we see as recreation, it's either a boat for fishing, which is hard work, or a boat we are using to escape communism, which was a miserable experience for me". By contrast Western culture's attitude to boats is based on a history of economic prosperity and military conquest, it's not surprising that yachting is now associated with the upper crust, even though it doesn't have to be expensive.
Sugarsail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 15:08   #752

Boat: windrider tri16

Probably the healthiest thing most people can do but don't is fasting, google intermittent fasting placebo, also fasting Longo
stu291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 06:37   #753
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I've read similar elsewhere. This seems to be the most recent mainstream research.

Seems it starves the cancer cells selectively.

Started doing an occasional fast myself. Not very long ago. I'm still alive and ornery.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 06:44   #754

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu291 View Post
Probably the healthiest thing most people can do but don't is fasting, google intermittent fasting placebo, also fasting Longo
Maybe so, but if you are older it's not a real good way to stay on a good bowel movement schedule.....

As far the original post, I attempt that live style most every weekend during the season.

My boat is a very simple one. Last year I didn't even take along my laptop on my weekend getaways.

That sounds funny but it's a BIG adjustment to make.....suddenly instead of being around 1,000's of people in traffic jams 6 miles long you are in the middle of nowhere, the only boat in view, and you have the sun, moon, stars, wildlife, fish, trails, (saw a fox last summer) etc....and zero societal information coming in except on VHF and your phone if you have it on

And even though the population here is over 1.6 million it takes only about 5-7 hours of sailing to find an isolated spot or just about. Sometimes another boat will anchor within a few hundred yards but I don't see that as a problem........plus it improves the view usually
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 06:45   #755
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I dont know about the East v West culture thing, perhaps. Most of the folks I know who are not already boaters don't understand living on a boat as we do. Hell, many long time boaters just see boating as a leisure activity, not a life style. I think it just seems acceptable to us because we live in an echo chamber of like minded folks.

Funny story. Had dinner with some friends a bit ago. We tried to explain why we do what we do. The lady said, "I just don't understand why you would TORTURE yourself that way! ". But she tried to come to grips. She did recall being on a yacht for a few days once. It was OK. She could not recall if they put up the sails but thought they floated around a bit. "Oh yes, it was owned by Rupert Murdoch, our host rented it."
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 19:31   #756

Hmmmm-- read thru the thread - many of the simplistic living modern day idealistic Thoreaus are on 100K + yachts!!!LOL and in luxury type marinas---LOL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 04:53   #757

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
As the son of a Scottish coal miner, I prefer to think of myself as Thrifty…. as opposed to Cheap!
I believe the word he would have used is "canny". meaning smart, aware and frugal.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 12:13   #758

Boat: Top Hat (Mark III) 25 feet
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
i will one day die on MY boat.Not standing in line singing hail the king as i die of taxation and work.
Oh yes. I appreciate that sentiment. Thank you for crystalizing it so clearly.
PommyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 21:40   #759

Boat: Catalina 22

Ok I have not yet read all 50 pages yet I will. I can recognize more than a few of the authors of the ones I have read. Thanks to all that time spent writing. Time is the most valued reality anyone has so Agian Thanks. I like to sail or think or be about sailboats ,beaches ,docks, or the water. "Philosophy behind sailing simply and cheaply." Insanity, loco ? We spend time we don't have. Almost all of us spend more on sailing than we make. How many pro sailors out there ? You are not in that last sentance if your earnings are related to your boat. In the end if your not transporting cargo or harvesting something we are wasting time. Maybe you save when you live on your boat. Otherwize Sailing is a sport or pastime, an art ? Camping rock climbing hiking or a football, basket ball whatever ball game. TV. Time and so on. All a waste of time and energy No products no fruits of labor. Even if we discount time if we are not putting more in the kitty that what leaves it is not simple or cheap. Sailing will not end world hunger or bring peace. All this I say and yet I find so much joy and feel so good on the boat. I like it so much! Sailing seems to leave the world behind and it brings me to places I want to see. We spend what we can to make it happen. What % of our income gets spent is a drain. What speed it drains at is that the way we are going to define simple or cheap? Kind Regards, Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 21:51   #760

Boat: LAGOON 400

contrary to media propaganda, we live in worst times ever.

GM food
LOANS eating large chunks of time of your life
purchase water made from rain

etc

life longevity has actually shortened - just do bit of independent research.

So, boat is attempt of living the way predecessors did before word become overpopulated.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing