Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 16:22   #436
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor
Beautiful. I hate the fact that is came from a car manufacturer but brilliant nonetheless
I have a lot of time for the Japanese on many things. We did a joint management seminar with a Japanese company. The first exercise we did the Americans teamed up and the Japanese teamed up. We were given 20 minutes and a stack of 3 by 5 cards. The task was to build the tallest structure.

The Americans, typically, grabbed a few cards each and proceeded to elbow each other as we tried stacking them over and over. We were loud and boisterous. The Japanese stood around their table hemming and hawwing and not talking much for 15 minutes. In the meantime we had built 5 or 6 failed structures. In the last 5 minutes 2 of their 6 stacked the cards and they kicked our butts by about 12 inches.

"Daniel-san. We decide slow but we execute fast."

Now on the other side of the coin the Japanese can get stuck in analysis paralysis and take too long to find a suitable solution. Time is the enemy of elegance and simplicity, perhaps?

The oart I cut from the quote above talked about customers. Customers dont want doodads per se. They want elegant and simple solutions. Thefore it is importqnt to define the problem clearlly.

Example: I want to autosteer my boat.

Wheel steelring vs. tiller steering?
Wind vane?
Tiller lashing?
Autopilot?
Something else?

The simple solution is likely tiller and lashing. The are complelling reeasons to go more complex but everyone could have a tiller steered boat a length of rope and some bungee.

In regards to prepping a boat to go, simplicity is good as mucking with complex broken systems at sea is not good. However, taking too long to prep looking for the perfect boat in all ways will likely leave one at the dock way too long.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:33   #437
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

Good post. I understood your first post and your requirements for a solution. E=mc2 was obtained after a lot of complex math. These are the ideal solutions. I just wish I had more of them!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:55   #438

Boat: Tartan 30

The simplest solution to a problem is to not create it in the first place.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:56   #439

Boat: mt34dt

I kinda relate it to commercial flying. I used to bring check in luggage and it was a pain in the arse, went to nothing but a carry-on and travel became much easier and enjoyable. Trying to take the same approach with both my material possessions and mental faculties. I long for the day when all I have is a carry-on.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:10   #440
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
I long for the day when all I have is a carry-on.
I think I want that put on my tombstone…!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 18:37   #441
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Alright guys, sounds like a half empty - half full type of discussion. I think we can all agree that any meaningful philosophy demands action. ..........The question that everyone is really asking is what action needs to be taken. And do those actions have a common thread in them?
It was Lin’s posts that helped me twig on what I felt we were missing in this interesting discussion….That is the value of “Personal Creativity” in determining your Sailing Philosophy and Psychology.

I believe that one’s ability to be and stay creative is both fostered by a sailing lifestyle and greatly influences the way you sail.

The Pardey’s are a great inspirational example of this.

Ok Newt wants some action points.

29 ways to Stay Creative

1. Make Lists,
  2. carry a notebook everywhere,
  3. Try free writing,
  4. get away from computer
  5. quit beating yourself up
  6. take breaks
  7. sing in the shower
  8. drink coffee
  9. listen to new music
  10. Be Open
  11. Surround yourself with creative people
  12. Get feedback
  13. Collaborate
  14. Don’t Give Up
  15. Practice Practice Practice
  16. Allow yourself to make mistakes
  17. Go somewhere new
  18. Count your blessings
  19. Get lots of rest
  20. Take Risks
  21. Break the rules
  22. Don’t Force it
  23. Read a page of the dictionary
  24. Create a framework
  25. Stop trying to be someone else’s perfect 100%
  26. Got an idea-write it down
  27. Clean you workspace
  28. Have Fun
  29. Finish Something
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 19:43   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
I kinda relate it to commercial flying. I used to bring check in luggage and it was a pain in the arse, went to nothing but a carry-on and travel became much easier and enjoyable. Trying to take the same approach with both my material possessions and mental faculties. I long for the day when all I have is a carry-on.
I did this last month on a three week trip to the other side of the world. I was able to fit everything I needed in a small backpack and in a carry-on Pelican case. It was so nice.

It's not the living with less or a fraction of what I have now that worries me, it is how long it would take to downsize (and my house isn't even that bad).

The next part would be my Beach Test. If I could leave something on the beach and go in the water not worry about it disappearing, that makes things even better. You might not be able to have 'nice' stuff, but it is freeing to not have to worry about theft as much. But, if it is too bad, people might think it is trash and throw it away...
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 05:14   #443

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

29 ways to Stay Creative

[29]Finish Something
I went thru that list and found it pretty disheartening - sort of like a list of things we do everyday, things that explain oh so well why our friendships and family relationships are falling apart .

Then I came to item #29 and ...

BANG!

You know when they teach you quick reading techniques, they will say the most important pieces of information come at the beginning of an utterance. But when they teach you writing, they will stress the importance of a round ending!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 09:46   #444
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Pelagic, I must say that list warmed my heart. I too pondered "finish something" I looked over all my projects and determined that I am great at getting ideas and acting upon them, but I am horrible at finishing.
But how else are you going to tell if something can contribute to your life unless you finish it and use it? I guess I am back to scraping and sanding for a while....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 09:52   #445

Quote:
(...) I looked over all my projects and determined that I am great at getting ideas and acting upon them, but I am horrible at finishing. (...)
Welcome to the club! Sagittarius perhaps?

;-)
barnakiel
Old 18-04-2012, 19:35   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic
29 ways to Stay Creative
Love the list. They are great ideas. I only have one small problem- Discipline. Sit & write or...have fun but I can't wait to try the list.
Thanks!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:46   #447

Boat: in between boats

I like Pelacic's list. One of the reasons I aspire to develop the cruising life is the illusion or reality of more time and inspiration to be be more creative.
I love Callmecrazy's post, "The simplest solution to a problem is not to create it". I try to think a couple of steps in advance so the one I take today doesn't lead to two back tomorrow. Thinking too many in advance only causes too much thinking and rethinking. Ugh...
For me, and others who are actually out there, the phlosophy surrounding sailing and cruising by sailboat, is that it is what I love to do. Doing it simply means that it requires less labor hours of earning $$$ so there is more time to spend doing what we love to do rather than work for $$$. Just how simple we choose is a matter of how effective we are in converting time not cruising into $$$ for cruising and how much we enjoy, or tolerate our jobs, vocations or carreers. It's easy, the less $$$ I require to remain on the water and cruising in the style I like the less time I have to spend working for the 'cruising kitty'. Used to be that the only ones unemployed in my field were unemployed by choice, I could quit for a year or two and return when the last $ was spent, not so anymore. Or is it the media that makes me believe that??
Anyway in summary, I think those with more effective (lucrative) ways to earn $$$ are in fields or carreers that they love, or is fun, or is easily tolerated, thus they can afford a bit less simplified and comfortable form of cruising. Many haven't the ability or knowledge or education to be high $$$ earners, thus when they choose to cruise, they choose a simpler boat with less systems and learn what beers are the most palatable at ambient temperature. For me, if I am going to have to live on that 11k a year, I think I might be able to do it most enjoyably on a simple little sailboat. Larry
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 14:56   #448

Boat: in between boats

Oh, when I say " for me and others actually out there", I don't mean to lead you to believe that I am actually out there at this moment. I was once, wish I never returned to the real world, but I did and got ensnared. I am now in the waiting and earning while tolerable mode and taking care of a few more loose ends. Closer than I was yeasterday to "going".
Thank you to so many on this thread for keeping my eyes open.
We are all the same, just different...
Larry
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 16:30   #449

solution ... problem ... not creating it

Very well said.

b.
Old 21-04-2012, 18:09   #450

Quote:
Pelagic, I must say that list warmed my heart. I too pondered "finish something" I looked over all my projects and determined that I am great at getting ideas and acting upon them, but I am horrible at finishing.
But how else are you going to tell if something can contribute to your life unless you finish it and use it? I guess I am back to scraping and sanding for a while....
Newt:

I would not beat yourself up too much. I think many of us have at one time or another have found ourselves stuck in a productive cul de sac. I've heard if you head out with 80% of the things you wanted to get done consider that a sucess. I've also found that sometimes when I walk away from something I often come up with a better idea when I come back to it. I also know that once the season begins I will spend an lot more time staring and enjoy being on the boat rather than tackling those things in the project box. I've come to accept that's just the way it is. It's somewhat liberating to just go with the flow and what you want to do right now and not be a slave to schedules.

Tags
sailing