Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29   #181

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
We only have an ice box but we try of have a lot of friends with fridges! Keeps it simple. :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:35   #182

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: The Philosophy behind Sailing Simply and cheaply

Got no Iphone
Got no aps
Still I have more of simple haps
I've got the sun in the morning and the moon at night.

Same sun and moon as that there Lagoon.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51   #183
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Why does this always happen? Some people start talking about living simply on a boat, and immediately we're into a fridge debate. No where on this thread (that I can recall) did anyway say fridge = complicated = bad.
The fridge debate was inaugurated by Newt in post #18.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56   #184
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
If it was expensive, complicated and a pain in the butt it would go, but to disconnect it and start buying tinned tuna so I could beat my chest and claim to be a minimalist sailor seems self defeating.
This is the problem with philosophy, is it not? Hard to get very far with it without a certain amount of chest beating.

Perhaps this is how our species goes about the process of thinking?

Regardless, the line seems to have been drawn by the philosophers. Fridge = OK. iPhone = Not OK.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04   #185

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
There are certain things I can't change about myself, the enjoyment of a T-bone is one. Do I have one once a week, yes, do I pay $12.99/lb for them, no. That leads to the need of a freezer and stocking up when those $4.99/lb sales come along. Besides, with the new, efficient, portable chest freezers that can run on the output of around 120 watts of solar panels, it isn't a big deal for any sailboat or budget IMHO. All the free stuff I relish, sunsets and rises, the clean salty air, sounds of the waves lapping the hull, solitude when I want, socializing with the BBQing of those T-bones for my neighbors in the anchorage, it is the freedom that I enjoy, choices and all.
I'm the guilty party for starting the freezer issue. But as you see, it is for saving money.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14   #186

Boat: Moody 425

I agree that our fridge saves us money as well(the bottom bit freezes, not strictly a freezer, but a frozen spot of sorts). It allows us to eat fresh good food that is really the planets bounty rather than rubbish in a tin put there by a human in a carbon heavy factory

I have a love/hate relationship with the iphone. It may very well go overboard any day now I do think it would pretty much disqualify me from a claim to any sort of minimalist, simplistic, philosophical sailing hat. But thats my point, when you have nothing to prove, no point to make and no one to impress you can just do what works for you.

Some nights offshore when on watch, I stare at the moon and the stars, I watch the water rush past the hull and ponder. Other nights I listen to podcasts on my iphone
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02   #187

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with the iphone. It may very well go overboard any day now I do think it would pretty much disqualify me from a claim to any sort of minimalist, simplistic, philosophical sailing hat. But thats my point, when you have nothing to prove, no point to make and no one to impress you can just do what works for you.
Chall, I don't believe anyone posting here is trying to prove anything, or trying to impress anyone. If any of my posts came off like that, then I apologize. That is never my intention. When I was young I had all the answers, and knew what was right, and who was wrong. Today, I only know what is right for me.

For the record, I'm an i-guy as well. iPhone, MacBook Pro, iPad (just ordered ... I can't wait ). There's nothing inherently negative or positive about technology. It's how I use it -- as opposed to letting it use me. Used wisely, technology makes my life simpler, and yes even cheaper.

So it's not about trying to prove anything. It's about sharing ideas that make life simpler and less expensive. If refrigeration does that for you, then great. Lets us know how. Beating chest not required .
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10   #188

Mike,

I have the ipad to be able to share with dad downstairs what I do on the computer, i.e, this forum, my forum, and the adventures of Laura Dekker. I think I might be getting one of these AR.Drone Parrot - First quadricopter that can be controlled by an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and Android that are controlled by the ipad, iphone, etc, so pop can look around my property from the rear deck.

Talk about the polar opposite of this thread, your own personal quadcopter with HD real time camera on board. Have to get him doing some hand/eye exercises instead of just watching TV all day.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20   #189

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I have the ipad to be able to share with dad downstairs what I do on the computer, i.e, this forum, my forum, and the adventures of Laura Dekker. I think I might be getting one of these AR.Drone Parrot - First quadricopter that can be controlled by an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and Android that are controlled by the ipad, iphone, etc, so pop can look around my property from the rear deck.
Bob, you make me laugh. Thanks .

Actually ... do you think this contraption could carry a cold beer? I could send it over to your's or Chall's boat, and you my good friends could share your refrigerated beer with me -- perfect simplicity!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31   #190

Quote:
Chall, I don't believe anyone posting here is trying to prove anything, or trying to impress anyone. If any of my posts came off like that, then I apologize. That is never my intention. When I was young I had all the answers, and knew what was right, and who was wrong. Today, I only know what is right for me.

For the record, I'm an i-guy as well. iPhone, MacBook Pro, iPad (just ordered ... I can't wait ). There's nothing inherently negative or positive about technology. It's how I use it -- as opposed to letting it use me. Used wisely, technology makes my life simpler, and yes even cheaper.

So it's not about trying to prove anything. It's about sharing ideas that make life simpler and less expensive. If refrigeration does that for you, then great. Lets us know how. Beating chest not required .
No problem Mike.

I thought I had all the answers when I was younger as well. I am still I guess perhaps youngish relatively and maybe sometimes I still do think I have all the answers. Mostly though honestly I am just confused. Ultimately I have no idea, and readily confess so. I try and do the best I can, that's all.

What I do know is this....

1) We are both really worried about the state of the environment and our planet and we would like to do what we can to leave as smaller impact as possible. We have spent alot of time snorkelling/diving the Great Barrier Reef, to think that this great place may be under threat scares us.

2) We like sailing and cruising, although we are both uni graduates with good but not extravagantly payed careers to cruise in our 30's and to break out of society we do need to be careful with our money.

3) We like our old small/mid sized boat beat up boat. It is comfy, a good fit and we like sailing her, despite the fact that she is quite gadget lacking by modern standards.

4) We didn't like our busy, complicated land-lubbing lives, we had all the gadgets, all the trappings and didn't like moving so fast through life we couldn't enjoy it. We didn't like not having time for each other, and did not wish our daughter to grow up solely in the rat race we found ourselves in.

5)I do like fishing and buy fruit and vegies at local markets. Having a fridge makes this all vary possible and means we eat healthy, wonderful meals. Besides I like Cold rum and coke's and Pina Coladas and we all have our weaknesses

6) I -things and gadgets can be addictive, but to me useable technology is to be assessed cynically but not necessarily dismissed arbitrarily. I used to work in a tech focused career and have no problem incorporating cost effective technology that makes sense on my boat as long as it is working for me, and I am not a slave to it. I make my own personal judgements about this on my boat, they are just that, my own personal judgements and will be very subjective.

6) I listen to everyone and anyone who has something to say, I am a cruiser, but not an experienced one. I live and let live and love to hear how other people are out their realising their dreams.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45   #191

Quote:
Bob, you make me laugh. Thanks .

Actually ... do you think this contraption could carry a cold beer? I could send it over to your's or Chall's boat, and you my good friends could share your refrigerated beer with me -- perfect simplicity!
It will carry a GoPro, so maybe one cold beer. For transport of herb, it wouldn't have any problem transporting a fatty, so let the party begin. lol
Old 06-04-2012, 17:05   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Sorry I brought up the R word. I was really just interested in seeing how many people were doing without and how well they were managing.
I think the quality in simplifying something does not need to be defended. It is a universal axiom that a simple machine that accomplishes it's purpose is more desirable than a complex machine that does the same thing. What differs around here is the concept of a simple sailboat is so different to so many people. I consider a Laser to be pretty simple, but I wouldn't want to stay overnight in one. So a good simple cruiser is going to mean something different to alot of different people.
I would be interested in opinions like Blue Crab- I have a feeling he is not living with much fluff- and how these boat people are doing it. Until then I have to remember:
1. Nobody knows everything about this topic.
2. Everyone has something running around in their head that would positively add to this discussion.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:42   #193

I didn't realise the R word caused so much of a stir around here.....If I did I wouldn't of stirred the pot. To those who manage without good on you. Sometimes it is amazing how well you do cope without something once you just make the decision. Either way there is a cold beer here if you ever see me in an anchorage.
Old 06-04-2012, 18:53   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I may take you up on that. I have a few friends up in Queensland I have been dying to see. Just got to get the time and courage to cross the pond.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 18:59   #195
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Since this is a philosophical discussion, …….a challenge to the basic tenet of the belief that sailing can be inherently “simple”?

Compared to living on land with all the developed and supporting infrastructure around you, the act of moving your floating island around all the marine dynamics I spoke earlier about… is by comparison….. Quite complicated!

Regardless of your chosen standard or budget, you will need to plan, provision, monitor and execute… in essence…. manage your daily basic needs in a much more sophisticated and multifunctional way, than in any shore side community.

The perception by others that it can be simple, is false!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing