Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 23:26   #1

Boat: Hunter 36
The Narrows, Gladstone Qld

Was just wondering what is the status of passage between Gladstone & Keppel Bay via The Narrows due to the LNG construction. I'm heading up that way in August.

Many thanks
DP
Dapa1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: The Narrows, Gladstone Qld

Sorry I can't help with current information. It was open in JUly 2011 - consider this a free thread bump
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:51   #3

Boat: Jarkan 10.5
The traffic on the water is quite busy make sure you call in to the harbour master, be wary of floating pipelines and changed channel markers, I did it before sunrise because the tides gave me no option but best to travel this part in daylight
bouncingyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:03   #4

Boat: Top Hat, Mark 1, 26'

DP,

Suggest you go to http://www.seabreeze.com.au where you will get an immediate reply. This forum is to broad and I don't think many of its members come from Aussie.
nswsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 20:35   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswsailor View Post
DP,

Suggest you go to http://www.seabreeze.com.au where you will get an immediate reply. This forum is to broad and I don't think many of its members come from Aussie.
Welcome Aboard NSW
FWIW, there is quite a good and forthright Aussie contingent here

Another free bump for the OP
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nswsailor View Post
DP,

You must be Aussie if you know of Seabeeeze.com,,,,,,,, interesting thought though I wonder how many of us there are and where we come from ?????
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55   #7

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller
The narrows is a great trip, the scariest part is thinking about it, not that hard at all. The new LNG plant at Curtis island increases the traffic, yet had no impact on the actual narrows itself when we went through last year. Talk is that they will put a bridge in, thus making the trip impossible in anything but a tinnie, so do it while you can, oh, and if you intend to do any fishing, then use two hooks as the fish up there have two heads! They had actually banned fishing when we were there, not sure n the status now though.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:16   #8

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncingyellow View Post
You must be Aussie if you know of Seabeeeze.com,,,,,,,, interesting thought though I wonder how many of us there are and where we come from ?????
Good question. Maybe the moderators can extract some information from the "location" field in the software package that runs this board. I think it would be interesting to have anonymised locations about all the users. Is that possible?
Old 12-07-2013, 01:28   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Please explain, to quote another Aussie, what you mean by anonymised locations. Do you just mean how many from Australia, or how many from anywhere. Some folks do not put their locations when joining so it would be near impossible I would think.

Coops.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58   #10

I was pleased to see everyone on this thread stating there home port.Looks like we got a few sandgropers , some mighty cane toads and well cockroaches here in good numbers.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:16   #11

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Please explain, to quote another Aussie, what you mean by anonymised locations. Do you just mean how many from Australia, or how many from anywhere. Some folks do not put their locations when joining so it would be near impossible I would think.

Coops.
I would be surprised if the bulletin board did not have the ability to export the membership database to a spreadsheet file. The moderator/owner should be able to export it to an excel file, delete all the columns except location and graph it. Unspecified locations will have their own category.
Old 12-07-2013, 16:36   #12

Boat: Top Hat, Mark 1, 26'

DP,
Coming back to your question.... if you look on Skipr.net you will find that the yacht ELYSIUM has just gone north through the narrows. You might be able to contact them through facebook to find out the latest story!

I did the narrows in 2011, before the floods, and it requires you to keep your wits about you. I draw 1.4m and at the shallow part held my breath for some 50m's. You can see the full story on my blog at The Complete Blog of Seaka’s 2013 Voyage Towards Tasmania. | SEAKA

Hope you have a good trip when you go through.

Remember, coastal cruising in the Tasman Sea is harder than crossing oceans!
nswsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 16:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post

I would be surprised if the bulletin board did not have the ability to export the membership database to a spreadsheet file. The moderator/owner should be able to export it to an excel file, delete all the columns except location and graph it. Unspecified locations will have their own category.
You could also add to the spreadsheet the members recent activity so you get an up to date look at the realtime demographics, plus as an added bonus show historical data so you can see the transformation of " The Cruisers Forum" from its humble U.S beginnings to its now world wide acceptance as being the premiere forum for sailors the world over.
Old 12-07-2013, 17:22   #14

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Australia has a coast line of some 12000 miles, Very little of those miles does not have resident boats,
Kimberlys and the Great Australian Bight, few resident boats. Or people,

We did a demographic of all our locations on a bike site world wide, It came out very well,
Very easy to do it with boat or home locations,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:48   #15

I noticed there was a few retirees on this thread perhaps someone could be generous enough to produce a quick snap shot of the demographics by using the posters in the last 24 hours