Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
The more "full time " you are...

The more full time you are on the boat, the more work there is to do. The more you loosen the boundaries of your sailing and head out into the deep blue, the more work there is. There are always chores that have to be done on a boat, projects to undertake and complete. Often what is easy for us here in North America, isn't so easy off shore. For example, read Lin Pardey's article in this issue of Cruising about food shopping in foreign countries; and how long it takes her.

However there is much down time in sailing and that is the attraction of the "Zen" of it. Sailing forces you into the moment and this is one of its chief attractions. To use some old Christian language, your father is caught up in "salvation by works." In other words, his worth is found in his works. By letting go of the cultural values that suggest our worth to ourselves and others, by the "works" we have provided, we discover other reasons for self worth; this is something that meditative monks learn after they have "settled" from their previous secular life.

If you your dad reads this past paragraph now, he'll probably say "What to he.. is he talking about?" If instead you taking him sailing for a month, then let him read it, it'll make more sense.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 17:35   #2

Wayward post

This was suppose to go somewhere rather than its own lonely thread which doesn't make sense on its own.
Old 08-03-2006, 17:53   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Go where ?

It was the PEI guy who asked about sailing with reference to comments from his dad. They drink Newfie screach out there. It blures the vision and you have to be careful you don't hit the mast or shrouds while duck hunting, and the dogs can get seasick. That's what I have been told. Boating season starts in late June and runs for a few weeks until the winter storms roll in around late July. In between it can be foggy. They get upwards of 1/2 metre of snow per day, even in February. You will find out who posted the original thread when he replies to this slanderous stuff.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 18:45   #4
Kai Nui

That was such a good thread topic, it deserves it's own spin off. The Zen side is a great direction to go. Isn't there a book called the Zen of sailing? If not, there should be.
Old 08-03-2006, 20:09   #5

Mike, judging by your response

Judging by your response Mike, I'd say you've been hitting the Kelowna red's a little too much. My wife and I went to the fall wine fest in Kelowna; stayed at Lake Okenogan Resorts and had a wonderful time. My son was at the Vernon Army Cadet every summer for the past five years so we began enjoying the area.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:07   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Ruby red

Well give me a call next time you are in town. We can smash the top off a few bottles of ruby red and go sailing. Actually I do not drink much wine but the beer they make in Vernon is drinkable.
As an aside, before free trade with the yankees, everyone around here was predicting the end of the BC wine business. The opposite happened, one reason why I am cynical of folks that like to predict the future.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote