Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 20:50   #1

The Land of hoodoo,voodoo and all kinds of wierd ****!

We are watching Captain Ron. I love that movie! My granddaughter wants us to get a sailboat!

Newbie1
Newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 00:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hey newbie!

I reckon if granddaughter wants a sailboat, you oughta run out and get you one...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:44   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Sounds like a good enough reason to me.
Old 03-07-2008, 17:49   #4

Yeah, I guess I'll have to! It makes for a good excuse anyhow! LOL!!!! I have teased her for a long time about us buying a boat and she would be my "boat baby".

WAB
Old 03-07-2008, 18:54   #5

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:01   #6

Watching Capt Ron reminded me of how much I used to enjoy sailing. Now I dream of living on a sailboat and touring the world everynight.

Watching Capt Ron got my daughter sharing the dream with me. She's 16 now and when she graduates we're sailing off to tour Coastal Europe.

My 16 yr old nephew watched Capt Ron with us just last week and asked me if he can join us when we go. He says he has no problem working on the boat to get it ready to go..... he said that includes climbing the mast if need be.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:01   #7

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Ya gotta have goals kid.... I learned that in rehab.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 19:16   #8

I might also add that I got her used to the idea of living on a boat by telling her constantly that the first some guy knocked on the door that I didn't like or if she started hanging out with the wrong crowd then I'd buy a sailboat and home school her from 100 miles off coast.

l don't know if that really helped keep her out of trouble, but I always loved the look on her face when I'd tell her that.
Old 03-07-2008, 19:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
I might also add that I got her used to the idea of living on a boat by telling her constantly that the first some guy knocked on the door that I didn't like or if she started hanging out with the wrong crowd then I'd buy a sailboat and home school her from 100 miles off coast.

l don't know if that really helped keep her out of trouble, but I always loved the look on her face when I'd tell her that.

Thats kinda entered my mind too! My grandaughter is 8 yo. and spoiled. She looks at me funny when I tell her I'll get a baseball bat for the boys if they start hanging around. LOL!! You ought to see her face. HAHAHAHAH!!!

WAB
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42   #10

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
When your daughters start to date:
ALWAYS have your shotguns, rifles and pistols all lined out on the coffee table and in the process of cleaning them as the boyfriend arrives and have him sit with you while she finishes dressing....

This get two things done...

1. Sends a message to the boy to treat her right...
2. Causes the daughter to be ready When the guy arrives!!!
both are good LOL!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 17:53   #11

10 Rules for dating my daughter

I will have them read and sign this!

Ten Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter

"Copyright 1998 W. Bruce Cameron http://www.wbrucecameron.com/"

Rule One:
If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose his compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six:
I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.
Rule Ten:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi. When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit your car with both hands in plain sight. Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.

Old 05-07-2008, 18:52   #12

Have you ever heard "Cleaning My Gun" by Rodney Adkins?

One of my all time favorites. My daughter and me tease each other about it every time we hear it.

You can hear it on my My Space page. MySpace.com - Daddys Dream - 48 - Male - CHARLESTON, West Virginia - www.myspace.com/daddys_dream

It's great.
Old 05-07-2008, 23:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I so wished I had a Daughter. Just so as I could do all those really cool things. While the Lad was waiting for my daughter, I would be grilling him such, that he would have beads of sweat on his forehead. And all replies would be answered as Yes/No Sir. And I would be sitting on the front porch with the shot gun ready and waiting. I tell ya, these young punks of today, they would soon learn some manners. :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 00:12   #14

And in a few months, I'll have two more grandaughters! They'll put me in my grave with worry!

WAB
Old 06-07-2008, 00:47   #15

Maybe I ought to add that I have an 8 yr old grand daughter too. I keep telling her that I'm going to take her on the boat with us too. She said she wants to go and her mother said it'd be ok. But my son on the other hand said, "Oh hell no." I guess he wants to spend time with her.

He tells her she's not allowed to date until she finishes grad school.......... I wonder where he got that from..... :-)