Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 00:52   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: The ins and outs of mainsail in-mast furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayZee View Post
I'm not sure how this helps me but I guess you made some kind of point. I'm not sure if it's Beowulf but a Dashew boat that I was told was Steve and Linda's personal boat is docked near me here in Marina del Rey with a for sale sign on it.

I' not sure I would like Mr. Dashew but I like that he bucks the traditions and the hidebound in boat design.

Kurt
I don’t understand what the personality of Steve Dashew has to do with this? my point is that the picture shows very good sail shape. At the time he designed this, it was the perfect sail shape and today it still outperforms all other cruising boat designs. You will never get close using in-mast furling because that will make the boat heel more due to increased drag, increased weight aloft, deviation from the perfect wing shape, reduced speed etc. and all that when the furler is working perfectly.

Dashew didn’t buck traditions, he ignored racing rules that restrain functionality, comfort and speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15299990-480C-420C-B86B-0C83E5507EA1.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	259099  

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:55   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t understand what the personality of Steve Dashew has to do with this? my point is that the picture shows very good sail shape. At the time he designed this, it was the perfect sail shape and today it still outperforms all other cruising boat designs. You will never get close using in-mast furling because that will make the boat heel more due to increased drag, increased weight aloft, deviation from the perfect wing shape, reduced speed etc. and all that when the furler is working perfectly.

Dashew didn’t buck traditions, he ignored racing rules that restrain functionality, comfort and speed.
To get that much roach, you can't have a normal backstay. Dashew's boats mostly have B&R rigs, AFAIK, which bring other disadvantages.

Yes, a roachy full battened main is about as good as it gets.

However, in-mast furling mains are not necessarily terrible:

Name:	201213011742_HR50sailing5960LFruchaud.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	259100

Name:	210201090521_HR50sailing6144LFruchaud.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	259101

That's a Halberg Rassey 50 with the new Selden carbon furling mast.

In-mast furling mains are cut flatter and you have more control over the foot when reefed, so in strong weather, on the contrary, you will have less drag and heeling than a normal main.

Less power is the main drawback of in-mast furling mains, and that's a function of less roach and flatter cut. You notice this a lot in light weather (why I wouldn't want in-mast furling for a boat used for coastal sailing, and/or in mild latitudes), but for windy latitudes and ocean sailing the disadvantages are not really noticeable and the advantages are significant.

We race with our in-mast furling main and do pretty well. We beat a great lot of boats with roachy full batten mains, especially when it's windy.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:45   #78

Boat: 2006 Wauquiez PS 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

You're right that what I think of Steve's persona is moot. So we're one and one for pointless comments

For the fourth time in this thread. I don't get to choose. The advantages of a "perfect" full roach sail is moot. I want this boat. It's one of 38 ever made and it has in-mast furling. If I had the money for a Sundeer/Deerfoot/FPB whatever. I'd buy the Hallberg Rassy 40 that I dream of and put the rest in a mutual fund.

I'm not here to fight though i don't mind a friendly debate with some wordplay thrown in. After all, we're just strangers on the interwebs.

Be well and stay safe out there.

Kurt

Tags
furling, mainsail, sail