Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 07:39   #496

re: The Frugal (AKA poor) Sailor

I know how to fix the violinist!!
Gibson Les Paul-OCD-Marshall 1959 SLP half stack.
Thats all you need.
If you don't know what it is, look it up.
Not very frugal, but I guarantee it will fix the violinist playing to loud.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:59   #497
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Today
The violinist threw a fit over "someone" putting something in 'his' drawer in the kitchen.
I gently tried to tell him that it was not his drawer and was communal.

After listening to the tirade for 10 minutes, I smiled and went and got a cardboard box and started putting all his stuff in it from the kitchen...

"What are you doing?! " he asked...

I told him that if had difficulty with sharing then to keep his stuff in his room, and whilst he was at it, move his bike from the main room into the bedroom and also please stop practicing the violin as it was too loud.

I left the kitchen and when I came back, there was a sincere apology and a promise to work better with us.... I did think that he was going to cry and hug me and that did not appeal..

I now have a happy violinist who is being nice to everyone...

People eh?

I think this is why I only share my boat space with people I know and respect.... I have the feeling that after the 3rd man overboard incident the authorities might get suspicious...
Medication can be very effective if administered by a licensed professional.

I have to deal daily with a compulsive hoarder who hoards ice cubes. Think about that....
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 10:17   #498
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
I know how to fix the violinist!!
Gibson Les Paul-OCD-Marshall 1959 SLP half stack.
Thats all you need.
If you don't know what it is, look it up.
Not very frugal, but I guarantee it will fix the violinist playing to loud.
I only have Fenders these days....
But I do have a Bose L1 with all the bass speakers..

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 11:32   #499

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Yes, better living through shared living! It's an interesting socioeconomic trend these days. The rate of middle age children living and caring for ageing parents, the 20 & 30 something's renting rooms from their middle aged parents. And all age groups sharing living spaces with peers. Not to mention the uptick in communes not seen since 1960's. Frugality seems to be fueling the trend. I View it as a legitimate and frugal solution to living costs.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 13:50   #500

Quote:
I only have Fenders these days....
But I do have a Bose L1 with all the bass speakers..

Well, you'll have to change your tack then. Help him learn to be a better fiddle player. Cause if you're gonna play in Texas..........................
Old 16-10-2016, 14:20   #501
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why I like Bose

Old 16-10-2016, 20:39   #502

Bose sound very clean with the piezo. GC had a Bose set up in the acoustic room when I was checking out my A15AL so I got to play it through that. I agree it is pretty nice. Not a fan for Electric though. I just like my Marshall.
Old 16-10-2016, 21:00   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I got older, and less involved in band work, the Stacks were replaced by Fender twins. Though heavy, were good enough for two people to manhandle and less work than a a full rig.

Now I just have the Bose for all round acoustic/electric/vocals. I put the guitar through a line6 amp with all the effects, a keyboard and 3 mics. (mixing desk).

Havent used it in over a year now~its in the UK and Im here in Spain... but its there if I need it.

I thought long and hard about the purchase. In the long run was cheaper to buy for all round sound than any other PA... plus so very portable.
Old 16-10-2016, 21:35   #504

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hmmm, just back online ... what are we talking about

My frugal boat sound system is a Bose bluetooth speaker:

It's small, and is all we need for a boat sound system.

And I own a motorcycle, which is actually a maxi-scooter. 400 cc of raw power. 70+mpg, cheap to buy and maintain. Last winter drove nearly 20,000 km on it touring Canada and the USA:

It's the smallest bike I could find to do what I wanted to do ... much like my boat.
Old 16-10-2016, 23:22   #505

Quote:
As I got older, and less involved in band work, the Stacks were replaced by Fender twins. Though heavy, were good enough for two people to manhandle and less work than a a full rig.

Now I just have the Bose for all round acoustic/electric/vocals. I put the guitar through a line6 amp with all the effects, a keyboard and 3 mics. (mixing desk).

Havent used it in over a year now~its in the UK and Im here in Spain... but its there if I need it.

I thought long and hard about the purchase. In the long run was cheaper to buy for all round sound than any other PA... plus so very portable.
Oh heck, I don't have stacks. Im in the frugal category. Well, actually, Im in the can't afford it category. DSL 40C with a creamback for me. My Les Paul IS a Gibson, but it falls in the line below the Studios. And my Strat was made in Ensenada.
Old 17-10-2016, 05:29   #506
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One of the things I note from this thread, is that some of the posters are looking at the poor frugaller as being a circumnavigator.

The boats that short pockets look for are in the main close coastal and estuary workers. Very few will head off to distant shores....

This brings the fitting costs way down because half the stuff an ocean crosser has will not be needed. Even if, for example, a Brit based sailor in southern England wants to cross to France... it is but 30-50 miles in well managed waters.

It also means that the average boat length, if trailerable, will be @24-27 foot.

Boats of this size are realistically INEXPENSIVE in the Uk and many are in pristine condition.

I took my previous Centaur across to France and had a lovely few days coastal visiting seaside towns.

Dont forget that at Dunkirk, it was a flotilla of small boats that rescued many soldiers during the war...

We treat the area as home turf.

Trapper 500 Sailing Yacht | eBay
Old 17-10-2016, 05:31   #507

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Yes, better living through shared living! It's an interesting socioeconomic trend these days. The rate of middle age children living and caring for ageing parents, the 20 & 30 something's renting rooms from their middle aged parents. And all age groups sharing living spaces with peers. Not to mention the uptick in communes not seen since 1960's. Frugality seems to be fueling the trend. I View it as a legitimate and frugal solution to living costs.
Yes.

But would you say that 'solutions' differ somewhat from 'choices'? Or do you see it differently?

What you mention above is a very common method for the young to keep their costs low in Spain. Their inability to fend for themselves (20 to 30% unemployment among the "young") mixed with their actual preference for family life results in ugly ducklings leaving the nest at 37 (sic!).

This is 'frugal' but just to the young. To the old ones this is their pension money fed into their offspring's hungry beaks. Feed till you drop. To me, who came from the more temperate latitudes, their social situation verges on economical perversion.

If I were forced to live a frugal life, I am not sure I would like it. Freedom to choose (an alternate lifestyle) can be a good test of how frugal we actually are.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 15:56   #508

I believe it's a frugal solution in either case, through choice or forced circumstances.

For example, 2 of my children live minimally, they can fit all their belongings into their vehicles and move on short notice. They work on contracts and make very good money. When the contract ends or a recruiter offers them better money, they switch jobs and move. Not owning a house gives them freedom to do this. Also sharing a place, having room mates, keeps their living expenses very low. They both have been able to save serious amounts of money while still enjoying their lives. They're quite happy.

My daughter and granddaughter currently live with me. No, not a perfect solution. However she's just turned 25, not 37. My house will be gone in the next 6 months and then they too will be on their own in the world soon. Depending on her income, they might also have to share a house or an apartment with friends. And, I wouldn't ever trade away the time I've had with my granddaughter! She brings nothing but pure, genuine joy to my life! On a personal level, that type of happiness can't be bought at any price, so no regrets here.

I myself have arranged a room rental for when I'm a live aboard and still working for the next 4 years. Yes, for the cold months, or when there is a bad storm. Very close and long time friends have a spare room. Works for me, works for them.

One of my BIL is currently living with his parents while he has a lengthy recovery from surgery. One sister and BIL are living and caring for my mother. Another sister and BIL are living with his mother during the week to reduce their commute time. They are all 55+. These circumstances are based mostly for convenience and maybe necessity, but not economy.

For people thrown into a situation out of dire need, I imagine that it might not be desirable, and could be unpleasant or even worse. I have empathy for them. But sometimes life forces experience upon us that we might not otherwise choose. And sometimes they turn out to be wonderful experiences!
Old 17-10-2016, 17:14   #509

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

At one time many families lived with multiple generations under one roof. It's an arrangement that has really only gone underground dice the end of ww2. There really is no surprise that the trend is changing towned shared living again. It makes great economic sense and gives everyone other benefits, such as shared child care, social bonding and more hands to upkeep the house.

What troubles me is the social pressure to look upon such arrangements disfavorably. Granted there maybe a few users who take mom & dad for a ride, but that's on a few not young people as a whole.

Of course modern life is more fluid than it was 80-100 years ago. It's much harder to keep multiple generation together as younger adulys pursue careers. But there shouldn't be any shame for the folk who are making it work.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:55   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
At one time many families lived with multiple generations under one roof. It's an arrangement that has really only gone underground dice the end of ww2. There really is no surprise that the trend is changing towned shared living again. It makes great economic sense and gives everyone other benefits, such as shared child care, social bonding and more hands to upkeep the house.

What troubles me is the social pressure to look upon such arrangements disfavorably. Granted there maybe a few users who take mom & dad for a ride, but that's on a few not young people as a whole.

Of course modern life is more fluid than it was 80-100 years ago. It's much harder to keep multiple generation together as younger adulys pursue careers. But there shouldn't be any shame for the folk who are making it work.
Exactly! And as in the past, if you don't have family members to economize living quarters with you'd go the "boarder" route. Then and now, you don't always have too much of a choice on who else is sharing your roof. That can cause problems. But it's still a solution towards economics and being frugal.

Tags
sail