Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58   #46

Boat: Sailboat
Re: The Cruisers Essentials List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
A lot depends on latitude and sailing season here.
I guess, most of us try to avoid the higher latitudes, as well as cyclone seasons. But **** happens. And as long as Somalis blocking the Red Sea, South Africa is high enough of a latitude to encounter nasty weather.

Trysail: Yes, with three good size reefs you can do without. But when the mainsail isn't in great shape anymore (only takes a couple of years sailing in the tropics), a little 45kn storm will start shredding things. We were happy to have a trysail giving us options: We were able to claw to weather (doesn't work with only a staysail, on our boat), or heave to. An old second mainsail, with deep reefs would probably suffice.

Drogue: We didn't have one, did OK without, but would have deployed if we had it.

SSB: wouldn't go without it, sat phone is nice to call home, SSB gives access to local cruisers nets, the boats around you, and weather guidance from local hams.

Tankage: to get away from a possible cyclone, I want to have ~300-400nm reach, at a good clip, to get closer to the equator. The days before a cyclone can be amazingly calm.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:04   #47

Boat: mt34dt

Essential:

1. Water (splashing the boat and to drink)
2. Boat
3. Anchor
4. Some form of propulsion
5. Food
6. Coast Guard safety equipment

Everything else is nonessential but add compass, gps, radio, and a few tools and one is living large
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Jm21- I was thinking of those little Garmin Gps with paper charts to do all the work on. GPS would just give cordinates. Used less than a 100 usd, chart used cost? depends on how well you get along with other cruisers. Charts also do not depend on electricity, which puts them down one level in complexity (see post #1, general rules)
If you can only use the chart with an electric GPS, then they do depend on electricity.

If you plan to use the charts with a sextant, then have to include the cost of the sextant (can be very expensive for a good metal sextant), star charts, and so on, as mentioned in a previous post on this thread. Also include the time for learning how to use one as a cost. A sextant is a lot more complex to use and understand than a GPS.

For us, we have laptops already. I was thinking two USB GPS attachments ($20-40 each) plus $99.99 for the software and chart package we wanted to use. It would cover the US in fairly good detail and eastern AUS, with non-detailed charts of most of the rest of the world. Could be used on up to 2 computers. Called memory map. That's about $160.

If we didn't have laptops, we would buy a cheap tablet, 2 USB gps devices (if tablet didn't have onboard GPS) plus $49.99 for the same software and chart package in a mobile only license. Maybe $200 tops (if everything was bought new). I saw a thread about one poster here making a software for tablets called MX marine or something like that for $6-7 that looked very promising for US maps.

You may be able to eventually get all the paper charts desired for the PNW and eastern australia for cheaper, but it would require a lot of scrounging. It would also take up a lot more space on the boat. You would not have any of the other features of a laptop or tablet.

For me, it's also about safety. I remember going through a very narrow channel on my old boat at night. Trees growing on either side so almost no visibility. Having a handheld GPS was invaluable in navigating....just keep the symbol in the center of the channel....a chart simply can't compare. If I wanted similar utility from a chart, every couple minutes I'd have to get a new reading and then go below and check the chart...by which point I'd have drifted and run aground probably.

I just don't see the reason not to go the laptop/tablet route from a monetary and utilitarian perspective. If you simply do not want to use any technological items for personal reasons then that's fine.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:21   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Atoll- I have one alloy whisker pole on the essentials list for just that reason. One pole, many uses! Mine is adjustable and carries a good hook on both sides.
Generator- not the big diesel tie down one, but the portable Honda is what I was thinking of. I know some cruisers here already use them. Battery recharging is up to you, just make sure you have a method away from the dock.
The SSB/Sat phone debate continues. Lets just call it Communication with the outside world. Personal preference decides...
JM- I keep my chart next to the tiller when I am going through a narrow channel. From what I can read from the landpoints on the chart I know where I am all the time without a GPS. I do get in trouble with things not on the chart, but they probably would not be on your chartplotter either. One place I really like your setup is going through strange waters at night or in a fog. My handheld GPS and my charts are waterproof, but I would hate to get seawater on your setup. To each his own I guess.
With no other votes, the sextant is out. That probably takes out the need for a knotmeter (GPS redundant) and a chronometer. If noone speaks up I will do away with them too. Does anyone use a barometer anymore? Does anyone use an anchor ready?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 13:55   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
OK B,(...)
OK, N!

From the top list (what we did not have asterisked and moved to the top of the list)

*Liferaft
*Emergency watermaker (hand held?)
*EPIRB
*Windvane self steering
*Radar Reflector
*Anchor windlass (mech vs electric)
*Abandon ship bag
*12v Spotlight
*Sailing rig for dinghy.
*Lifesling hoisting tackle
*Whisker pole
*Bosun's chair
*Oil Lamps with red and green paper.
*Chronometer
*storm trysail, drifters and MPS
*rain catcher

Handheld GPS
Shortwave receiver
VHF, handheld
Dingy
Dodger
Depth Sounder
Distance log and knotmeter
Bilge pump
Emergency Harness and tether (per sailor)
Flares
First Aid Kit
Fire extinguishers
Navigation lights, electric
Ships Batteries
Voltmeter
Foul weather gear (per sailor)
Hand tools
Water cans
Fuel cans
Swim ladder or rear step up
Snorkling gear
Anchor roller
Anchor ready
Anchors (3)
Hand bearing compass
Binoculars
metal sextant
Charts, nav tables, cruising guides
Sails, including storm jib,
Awning, cockpit canvas
Flags
Chain for anchors

From the bottom list (what we did not have asterisked and moved to the top of the list)

*Radar
*SSB
*High output alternator
*Outboard motor
*Cabin fans
*12 volt vacuum cleaner
*Watermaker
*Refrigeration
*Sewing Machine
*SCUBA gear
*Towing generator
*Satphone
*Video Camcorder
*Underwater Camera?
*TV
*Fully Battened main and Batt-cars

Autopilot
Fuel Filter (must for jerry cans)
Solar panel
Weather Fax
Inverter
Computer (must for C.F.er's)
Folding Bike
Roller Furling Sails

Love,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:02   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You do travel light Barnie. Anyone want to speak up for the junk he is throwing off the transom? Some things in both catagories have already been done away with (TV, camera, camcorder, liferaft and dingy combo). But its still quite a list. How long did you travel without a windlass and 3 anchors on chain???
Old 09-04-2012, 14:11   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I'm very curious about this. I have been looking at the price of windvane steering and cringing. Are you saying that a good modern autopilot negates the need for windvane steering
absolutely yes in my opinion.

I have to laugh that the oil lamp with red and green paper is still there, Id more likely burn the boat down, then provide nab lights with that . Id suggest a 21st century LED rechargeable torch ( flashlight for the colonials) with a few green and red filters. In my case I carry a few chemical lights. very useful. ( in red and green).

And "chronometer" , whats going on here , is this the Royal Navy of 1850, "I say old boy did you bring the chronometer". please me $5 digital watch is more accurate. ( it just shows you how old Larry pardey is!!)

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 14:16   #53
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
*Liferaft
*Emergency watermaker (hand held?)
*EPIRB
*Windvane self steering
*Radar Reflector
*Anchor windlass (mech vs electric)
*Abandon ship bag
*12v Spotlight
*Sailing rig for dinghy.
*Lifesling hoisting tackle
*Whisker pole
*Bosun's chair
*Oil Lamps with red and green paper.
*Chronometer
*storm trysail, drifters and MPS
*rain catcher

why a rain catcher when you have a emergency water water.!!.

I cannot see how these things are on a must have list]

Oil lamps,
emergency water maker , for what ( average time in a lifeboat is now 48 hours)
sailing rig for dinghy , what virtually none are sailable
Abandon ship bag, ( thats not a necessity, its a good idea)
Whisker pole, again a nice to have, sailed all over the world without any pole

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 14:31   #54
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
*12 volt vacuum cleaner
Was going to sit this one out but...

Just now decanting some cous cous into the several years old plastic coke bottle, the inevitable spill even with a funnel.

Is there a list for kit which is on the face of it a luxury but get used so often and proves itself so consistently useful and good at doing it's job that it's up there with the windvane. Well, maybe not that high but well up the list. A good 12v vacuum cleaner is just that. Invested a bit of cash in a good one recently, don't regret a penny A few others on that list might be LED lighting, or a high power external wifi antenna.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:32   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Part of the problem Dave is this list is evolving. Barnie used the orginal list, which has changed quite a bit in the last 12 hours or so. You will be pleased to know that
1. The rain catcher has evolved into a tarp for shade and comfort that will also pool rainwater.
2. Oil lamps are now electric battery, flashlight is on the list.
3.Many rigid dinghies are sail-able, and also have watertight enclosures for buoyancy.
4. Many watches are now chronometers. Mine is.
See Atoll's comments about have a pole on board.
Old 09-04-2012, 14:41   #56
Nearly an old salt

a chronometer is now a specific timepiece carrying a recognized certificate of accuracy , such as COSC in switzerland. If yours has that great. The common term chronometer merely means a timepiece. ( it originally meant a timepiece sealed in a vacuum),

not withstanding your list newt, I think its become so battered about as to be useless. Really little is required to sail, then you add personal preferences ( god know , nuff of those on CF). after that its just using up interwebby bytes.

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 14:49   #57

I hope the newbies reading this thread dont get overwhelmed with all of this gear and debate. Much of this is blue water specific and not needed for weekend sailing or short term cruising, which is where most blue water sailors started. This list is great, but dont stay tied to the dock if you dont have all of this stuff. Spend weekends sailing and anchoring out, and this list will start to have more meaning to you. another 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 14:51   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

Far as Im concerned the only essential for long distance is self steering, either an autopilot or windvane.

After that everything is an "if" thing.

I'm assuming you have all the basic stuff like lifevests, food, water, clothes.
Old 09-04-2012, 14:56   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would disagree Dave, but that is not a first for you and me . What I like about the list is that more things are being used for more purposes, thus the actual weight of what we have to carry around in decreasing. A good block and tackle for example is now used for a vang, a boom catcher and a Man overboard haulout, and it stays at about the same place in the boat! Same for the multifunction pole that has been suggested. These are GREAT ideas and will simplify my provisioning a lot.

Don- don't assume anything besides maybe some old fries and and a shake. Clothing was optional in an earlier thread, but I am too modest to go without. I will publish the most recent list in the morning- see if you can go without any items I list for more than a month while cruising.
Old 09-04-2012, 15:05   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Don- don't assume anything besides maybe some old fries and and a shake. Clothing was optional in an earlier thread, but I am too modest to go without. I will publish the most recent list in the morning- see if you can go without any items I list for more than a month while cruising.

OK. I don't really need to include food anyway as I carry enough storage for 120+ days with me at all times.