Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 06:18   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: The Crossover boat of the Year??????

gag is foogly. why do all these lookalike boats have to be named sexy when they are boxy and ugly and all the same like ticky tacky houses in the 50s....
sexy has curves. these do not have curves.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:29   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Well, who knows? that boat is the Grand Soleil 43
Now we know √
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:32   #18
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The interior looks like a prison.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 06:54   #19

Aahh, nothing to imbue a sense of a lovely off shore capable vessel as the site of numerous sea level ports.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 07:19   #20

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Just modern bull**** marketeers in action!
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 07:24   #21

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
More categories = more brands = more $$$ for the magazines. It helps fill the pages with reviews and advertising, which also allows for the staff to be paid and the occasional interesting contributors to be paid as well, helping sustain the dying print media for another year. For this that actually believe the reviews/advertising it's worth reading between the lines and asking yourself if comments such as the one below could apply to any new or old yachts:
"Refinements are deep in the bowels, under floorboards and behind headliners. The boats are lighter and better built, the systems more streamlined, and tweaks in cockpit and cabin layouts are subtle.... it’s got all the accommodations … a nice, light interior, and the boat sails incredibly well....The judges praised the craftsmanship of the interior as well. They all reported that the cabinetry and systems were meticulously finished, and the three-cabin, double-head layout had everything an owner would need for an extended cruise."
Indeed they could apply to my boat as well as 99% of new yachts. The salesspeak is just part of the advertising and I imagine most reviewers would have a difficult time coming up with something that hasn't been said before. In fact I'm sure most will have a selection of sentences they can cut and paste together to allow a review to be formulated over their morning coffee.
Any negative points are usually watered down with comments such as 'she was a little sluggish to windward but as soon as we fell off the wind 10 degrees she found her legs...'
I don't think reviews are a huge problem, but they should be taken with a grain of salt. Enjoy the glossy pics and fudged data they present and take them for what they're worth.
Regarding my cynicism, perhaps it sprouted as a kid. I was 12 yo and in my first or second sailing season and received a trophy for 'most improved sailor' I was pretty happy until my brother told me ' that's not a real trophy, they just gave it to you to make you feel good' 😢
That makes me feel good Monte, it is what it is, nice boat.
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 07:32   #22

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
its a S.U.B.
Old 18-02-2016, 07:40   #23

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
I like it! AND I like Hinckleys! I'll probably never own either. 😜

-Bill
I'd take this over the Hinkleys and the like any day. Very nice indeed.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:10   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
More categories = more brands = more $$$ for the magazines. It helps fill the pages with reviews and advertising, which also allows for the staff to be paid and the occasional interesting contributors to be paid as well, helping sustain the dying print media for another year. For this that actually believe the reviews/advertising it's worth reading between the lines and asking yourself if comments such as the one below could apply to any new or old yachts:
"Refinements are deep in the bowels, under floorboards and behind headliners. The boats are lighter and better built, the systems more streamlined, and tweaks in cockpit and cabin layouts are subtle.... it’s got all the accommodations … a nice, light interior, and the boat sails incredibly well....The judges praised the craftsmanship of the interior as well. They all reported that the cabinetry and systems were meticulously finished, and the three-cabin, double-head layout had everything an owner would need for an extended cruise."
Indeed they could apply to my boat as well as 99% of new yachts. The salesspeak is just part of the advertising and I imagine most reviewers would have a difficult time coming up with something that hasn't been said before. In fact I'm sure most will have a selection of sentences they can cut and paste together to allow a review to be formulated over their morning coffee.
Any negative points are usually watered down with comments such as 'she was a little sluggish to windward but as soon as we fell off the wind 10 degrees she found her legs...'
I don't think reviews are a huge problem, but they should be taken with a grain of salt. Enjoy the glossy pics and fudged data they present and take them for what they're worth.
No, honestly I don't think those comments could be made regarding a Lagoon or any relatively inexpensive boat (in their class) like Jeanneau or Beneteau. This is a boat much more expensive than a mass production boat, the interior quality and finish are better and I believe those comments regards that difference in quality.

Regarding the boat structure that has nothing to do with the one of a mass production cruiser having a carbon reinforced internal structural grid accepts the keel and rig loads. Previously it was a steel one, now it is one similar to the one that have X yachts.

I agree that tests on a magazine should be taken with a grain of salt but this is not a test but a justification why they choose this boat to win among many others.

Yes I agree that negative comments are like what you say and it is to the reader to be able to read between the lines and understand that when the say the boat is a bit sluggish it really means it sails like a pig, that comments like the boat sails well may just mean that it don't sail like a pig but when they make enthusiastic comments then you know that the boat sails really well and it is the case here and they said it repetitively, just in case someone does not got it at the first hint

"The best of the crossovers, however, is always the one that sails the best in light wind....For the judges, after sailing a handful of comparable crossovers, the standoutat the dock andon the water was the Grand Soleil 43.. so it’s no surprise that it sails hard on the wind like a high-angle IACC beauty....the Grand Soleil 43 is plenty stiff, and the clean lines shed only a hint of a wake during its test sail...While observing it from off the boat, Stewart commented aloud that it looked “real sexy” going through the water....When the judges got on board, their suspicions were validated: It sailed and handled as well as its looks had promised....It’s definitely a performance cruiser...the boat sails incredibly well
The perfect crossover is hard to define, they said, but the Grand Soleil 43 is as close as they’ve experienced since builders started putting the emphasis on performance before cruising.
"

I believe this is enthusiastic enough,particularly the part of the boat going upwind like a America's cup monohull and stating that the boat sails incredibly well.

I believe that it is clear that the very experienced independent juries, with lots of experience in what regards racing, building and Yacht design, were impressed with the boat sailing ability so we can safely conclude that the Grand Soleil 43 sails really well, particularly upwind and in light winds. The reference to plenty stiffness may also imply that the boat will sail well with strong winds.

Regarding what the hell they mean by crossover and the difference to a cruiser-racer I cannot really tell. At least they made clear that this is a performance cruiser
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:14   #25

Boat: Aloha 34

If "crossover" equates equally to boats and cars, then a crossover boat would be a motor sailor with a small mast and small sails, more for show than go.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
gag is foogly. why do all these lookalike boats have to be named sexy when they are boxy and ugly and all the same like ticky tacky houses in the 50s....
sexy has curves. these do not have curves.
Well I believe they call sexy to what really turns them on and on this case it was the promise of some rewarding and fun sail. Remember they said it looked sexy while sailing "While observing it from off the boat, Stewart commented aloud that it looked “real sexy” going through the water."

I guess that they would say that because they would expect to have a lot of fun with it later and were not disappointed:
"When the judges got on board, their suspicions were validated: It sailed and handled as well as its looks had promised."
Old 18-02-2016, 10:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I'd take this over the Hinkleys and the like any day. Very nice indeed.
Maybe you don't know about the new Hinkley? I guess that the ones that like the Grand Soleil would like the contemporary Hinckley too...except in what regards the price

Old 18-02-2016, 10:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If "crossover" equates equally to boats and cars, then a crossover boat would be a motor sailor with a small mast and small sails, more for show than go.
Yes that is my point, something that looks like the real thing but it is not, not by a long shoot and that is not certainly what the meant with it regarding this boat.
Old 18-02-2016, 10:49   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't know about the design, but that sheet lead sure needs to come back. Wow! It should be against the law to sell carbon sails to people who can't trim their sails
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 13:19   #30

Boat: Farr 1020

Others believe a gaff is necessary!
I was going to comment that it is all in the eye of the beholder, but reading other posts, I would agree, it is all in the pen of the marketers
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote