Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 12:15   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
The best fresh water in BC gulf islands

Heading north in a week or so from Washington State. Will be out for a minimum of two weeks (wx permitting). Will need to water up a couple times while in the Gulf Islands. Seeking opinions on fresh water availability and quality... Which are the best spots. Perhaps some of our Canadian friends will speak up.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 18:44   #2

Re: The best fresh water in BC gulf islands

Not speaking from firsthand experience arriving by boat, but being a local who has travelled to the gulf islands...

Saltspring should have decent water.facilities, as should pender. Saturna probably not so much given how much of it is park land and marine preservation area. Theyre all pretty close together and if you have a hard time go to the sidney marina, they are tapped into victorias water supply and its well equipped for even very large sailboats of significant draft.

Avoid the government docks as they rarely have water unless they provide permanent or transient moorage. Most of the ones next to a ferry terminal are merely strips for loading and unloading only with no facilities at all. You might have time to walk up to the villiage that springs up by the ferry terminal and back before someone is waiting (or yelling) that they need the space to tie up and load or unload. If you really want to walk around and have the space, stern tie to give yourself more time.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:39   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

If you are up around Ladysmith, the Ladysmith Maritime Society is a good place to tie up for a couple of hours free, do some shopping, and get water. Ganges Government dock will also allow a couple of hours free tie up and water is available.
Old 27-08-2018, 20:44   #4

Water is precious in September and October in the gulf islands. A lot of marinas don't have water on the docks. It better to plan on stopping to fill on Vancouver Island.
gimpy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:06   #5

Replying to see if anyone has recent experience or suggestions for potable water in the Gulf Islands for either overnight moorage or day use.
lindzb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:23   #6

There’s water everywhere there. Not an issue. Montague, saltspring, mill bay, ladysmith, Silva bay, thetis. Are you planning on anchoring mostly or staying at marinas as well? All the marinas have water on the dock as part of the moorage cost. Same with all the fuel docks
I’m local to the area, if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.
Sailingspensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:30   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingspensi View Post
There’s water everywhere there. Not an issue. Montague, saltspring, mill bay, ladysmith, Silva bay, thetis. Are you planning on anchoring mostly or staying at marinas as well? All the marinas have water on the dock as part of the moorage cost. Same with all the fuel docks

I’m local to the area, if you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.
NOT totally correct....

Otter Bay Marina (Pender Island) has a well problem this year, and no water is available.

Silva Bay Marina only has water at the fuel dock.

With current (and especially projected) local drought issues, there will likely be more restrictions.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 11:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
NOT totally correct....

Otter Bay Marina (Pender Island) has a well problem this year, and no water is available.

Silva Bay Marina only has water at the fuel dock.

With current (and especially projected) local drought issues, there will likely be more restrictions.
I’m sure there’s some exceptions but my point is it shouldn’t be a major concern, I’ve never had an issue finding water in the gulf islands other than the middle of winter when everything is shut down.
Sailingspensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 13:51   #9

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingspensi View Post
I’m sure there’s some exceptions but my point is it shouldn’t be a major concern, I’ve never had an issue finding water in the gulf islands other than the middle of winter when everything is shut down.
Yes, but all that said, the safest bet is to plan to dip over to Vancouver Island every so often to fill up, if there are water issues in the gulfs.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water