Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2021, 08:17   #1

Thanks to those who recommended dingy sailing for beginners

My wife and I are novice sailors interested in chartering and cruising, but several threads on this forum in response to similar plans recommended starting with a 'dingy.' Were it not for those posts, we probably would have started with a 7 day cruising catamaran course. I thought a 'dingy' sounded kind of boring/lame.

Instead, we spent the last 3 days taking a sailing course through the Carlyle Sailing Association in southern Illinois. We were on Hobie 18s, and it was absolutely awesome. We had so much fun!

I now understand why you would want to learn on a "dingy": you rig the boat yourself, so it's a chance to learn some of the basic terminology. Everything about the wind and controls is immediate and relatively simple, you can really feel how the boat and sails react to your actions. It has a jib, so you can get used to working with a teammate/crew. You can tack/jibe as often as you want, so you can get lots of practice quickly. We even practiced dumping/recovering the boats, which really took the fear out of tipping over.

And, most important, it is super, super fun. When you are close hauled and the wind is strong, you can really feel the windward hull lift (not out of the water, in our case, but you can feel it come up). One boat we were on had 'wings', or seats out over the water, which felt like you were flying when going upwind. Several members at the club use "traps" during races, which seems like it would take the flying sensation to the next level. It was exhilarating!

So, eventually we hope to learn about larger boats, but for now we are very excited about buying an H18 (they are hard to find, if anyone knows of a nice one for sail, esp. in the midwest, feel free to PM me). We plan to race (primarily because it will drive learning) and day sail with our kids.

Thanks to the advice on this forum, we are really excited about this as a family hobby!
ttcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:25   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Thanks to those who recommended dingy sailing for beginners

That's awesome!!! Great to hear!! I know exactly what you mean. I started learning on a J/24 and it was perfect. 24 feet was just big enough for a 2-4 people and small enough that anything you did on the boat also had almost immediate results.

Sailing 38 or 48 foot cats is a little different, but also very fun
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:28   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

You got it!

You learn very fast on a boat that quickly reacts to any "string" you pull!

And if you happen to steer the boat the wrong way on a high wind downwind run, you will probably end up in the water and that is a lesson that sort of sticks with you......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Yes! So many of us started among those flocks of "butterflies" on the lakes and bays. Nothing ever becomes more responsive or quick to thrill!
Old 06-06-2021, 09:18   #5

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcbj View Post
So, eventually we hope to learn about larger boats, but for now we are very excited about buying an H18 (they are hard to find, if anyone knows of a nice one for sail, esp. in the midwest, feel free to PM me). We plan to race (primarily because it will drive learning) and day sail with our kids.

Thanks to the advice on this forum, we are really excited about this as a family hobby!
glad to hear your story. I started out racing dinghies and it will teach you to sail better than any large boat can... now cruising is a whole other can of worms (navigation, anchoring, etc.)

Also keep an eye out for Prindle 18 catamarans if you can't find a H18. It is a similar enough boat. Unless you need the Hobie b/c racing class fleet.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:57   #6

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
glad to hear your story. I started out racing dinghies and it will teach you to sail better than any large boat can... now cruising is a whole other can of worms (navigation, anchoring, etc.)

Also keep an eye out for Prindle 18 catamarans if you can't find a H18. It is a similar enough boat. Unless you need the Hobie b/c racing class fleet.
I second the Pringle 18 recommendation. Had one since about 1981, (recently sold). Very tunable, low maintenance, maximum fun. Of course any smaller performance boat is a great way to learn. Enjoy
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:05   #7

Boat: Chatam 50

QUOTE: My wife and I are novice sailors interested in chartering and cruising, but several threads on this forum in response to similar plans recommended starting with a 'dingy.' Were it not for those posts, we probably would have started with a 7 day cruising catamaran course. I thought a 'dingy' sounded kind of boring/lame.

You narrowly missed a good opportunity for a pun. If you had written "gloomy" or "dismal" instead of "boring/lame," you would have been spot-on. A subtle pun is a good pun.

Any way you spell it however, it is a great idea. Sailing a dinghy is simply the best way to learn.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Thanks to those who recommended dingy sailing for beginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I second the Pringle 18 recommendation. Enjoy
I 3rd the Pringle recommendation..
Can't beat them when watching a good action movie.. hate the noise of bagged chips..
Sour Cream and Onion are my recommendation...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5053990138753.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	239831  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:18   #9

I'm glad you've tried a small boat first. A lot of bang for the buck, mistakes are seldom expensive, and it's just plain fun.

We're going into our 15th season with a 19' mini-cruiser. We are still looking for a larger boat, but the current boat can stand up to most Great Lakes conditions, is fine for some short cruising and anchoring out, and is rewarding and fun to sail. We get our larger-boat fix by crewing for friends, or chartering.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:38   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
...........we hope to learn about larger boats, but for now we are very excited about buying an H18..........
That is how I started sailing!!.............on a Hobie 16 and within a few years started windsurfing then chartering 35-40 ft sailboats. 30 years later purchased a Hunter 31 sailboat, a year later a Hunter 386 and 8 years later my current Hunter 46.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:50   #11

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

Quote:
My wife and I are novice sailors interested in chartering and cruising, but several threads on this forum in response to similar plans recommended starting with a 'dingy.' Were it not for those posts, we probably would have started with a 7 day cruising catamaran course. I thought a 'dingy' sounded kind of boring/lame.

Instead, we spent the last 3 days taking a sailing course through the Carlyle Sailing Association in southern Illinois. We were on Hobie 18s, and it was absolutely awesome. We had so much fun!

I now understand why you would want to learn on a "dingy": you rig the boat yourself, so it's a chance to learn some of the basic terminology. Everything about the wind and controls is immediate and relatively simple, you can really feel how the boat and sails react to your actions. It has a jib, so you can get used to working with a teammate/crew. You can tack/jibe as often as you want, so you can get lots of practice quickly. We even practiced dumping/recovering the boats, which really took the fear out of tipping over.

And, most important, it is super, super fun. When you are close hauled and the wind is strong, you can really feel the windward hull lift (not out of the water, in our case, but you can feel it come up). One boat we were on had 'wings', or seats out over the water, which felt like you were flying when going upwind. Several members at the club use "traps" during races, which seems like it would take the flying sensation to the next level. It was exhilarating!

I applaud your choice to start in a dinghy. I always star novices in dinghies so they can learn the feel of a sailing vessel and, as you said, they are fun!
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
That is how I started sailing!!.............on a Hobie 16 and within a few years started windsurfing then chartering 35-40 ft sailboats. 30 years later purchased a Hunter 31 sailboat, a year later a Hunter 386 and 8 years later my current Hunter 46.
Yep, I started on a windsurfer and moved up to a Cal 20 (I liked the windsurfer better) after that a Shock Santana 30. which was a lot more comfortable than the Cal 20 and a lot more forgiving than the windsurfer. One miscalculation on windsurfer and you will be in the water = guaranteed. I don't really think Hobie cats sailing as dinghys but rather as beach cats. I've sailed a couple of Hobie 16's and they were a lot of fun but never had the chance to get on a Hobie 18' - I think Hobie made a lot more of the 16's.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:36   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Yep, I started on a windsurfer and moved up to a Cal 20 (I liked the windsurfer better) after that a Shock Santana 30. which was a lot more comfortable than the Cal 20 and a lot more forgiving than the windsurfer. One miscalculation on windsurfer and you will be in the water = guaranteed. I don't really think Hobie cats sailing as dinghys but rather as beach cats. I've sailed a couple of Hobie 16's and they were a lot of fun but never had the chance to get on a Hobie 18' - I think Hobie made a lot more of the 16's.
Every beach cat is a dinghy
Not every dinghy is a beach cat.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 14:10   #14

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I learned to sail on a 12 foot Styrofoam sailboat.

Sailing became intuitive and it is easy to sail my 45 foot, 18 ton cutter.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 14:18   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

This thread should be a sticky that we can point newbies to!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail, sailing