Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 13:51   #121

Re: Taxes, how do they know?

http://https://www.sapling.com/59947...es-taxes-boats

"There are really only two ways to avoid paying a sales tax on a boat purchase: Buy the boat in a state without a sales tax and keep it there, or buy the boat in a state without a sales tax and never "use", [cruise, anchor or dock or store] it in waters controlled by states with a sales or use tax long enough to trigger the sale or use tax." . . .

"Beware of Tax Schemes

Some states -- Montana, particularly -- have small industries devoted to helping you avoid sales taxes on your boat. The pitches are similar, and many contain misinformation leading you to believe that you can buy the boat in Montana or another non-tax state, then bring it into your home state without paying the sales tax. That might be technically true, but you will pay the same amount of tax that goes by another name -- a use tax.

The legal way to avoid the sales tax is to buy the boat in a state without sales taxes, keep the boat in a state that has neither sales nor use taxes on boats (Oregon, for example) and, when cruising in waters outside your home state, strictly observe state residency time limits."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 14:10   #122
Marine Service Provider

the Constitution shall be the Supreme law of the land, article 6 paragraph 2. Title 18 section 1001 anyone through any trick scheme or device , 100000 pages, conceals a material FACT is guilty. Tweel v US remaining silent is consistent with FRAUD and this must stop. Nothing but gold or silver coin should be used In the payment of debt, US Constitution. Google compensation for labor and discover that you DON'T make income and DON'T have to pay taxes legally but being right will not stop the cops from "doing their job" and murder you and the fake news lying about you. don't believe me send a PM and I will reply with Supreme Court decessions.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 14:53   #123

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I think my previous posts are clear and address some of the "general but not completely accurate points" in your post. If I use a Montana LLC to purchase the boat according to Montana Law, the Montana LLC is a "resident" of Montana and therefore it is legal and proper to register a boat in Montana that never spends a day in Montana (generally you do not want to purchase the boat in the state in which you are currently resident of since this greatly complicates things usually.) You do this to minimize, to zero, sales tax. I completely agree with you that you are subject to the laws/rules in a given state for sales and use tax where you actually use the boat but I covered that in my above posts. Use Tax is different from state to state and I strongly urge everyone to follow the state regulations to a "T" in which they will use the boat. If you "strictly observe state residency time limits" as I detailed above for the states of NY and NJ, one can stay away from being responsible for those state's Use Tax. Again I would say this is usually not worth it for a small price boat purchase.

I understand that there are those that feel that using any minimizing tax strategies are the equivalent of cheating and defrauding or at the very least, too close to being wrong one way or another. I respect anyone's right to hold this position and I would also, respectfully, disagree. As previously stated in this thread, a presidential candidate used a very similar tax strategy (he later paid the tax for political optics reasons).
Winsome. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 18:07   #124
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
the Constitution shall be the Supreme law of the land, article 6 paragraph 2. Title 18 section 1001 anyone through any trick scheme or device , 100000 pages, conceals a material FACT is guilty. Tweel v US remaining silent is consistent with FRAUD and this must stop. Nothing but gold or silver coin should be used In the payment of debt, US Constitution. Google compensation for labor and discover that you DON'T make income and DON'T have to pay taxes legally but being right will not stop the cops from "doing their job" and murder you and the fake news lying about you. don't believe me send a PM and I will reply with Supreme Court decessions.
Please ignore anything that sounds like this sovereign citizen nonsense
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:05   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Please ignore anything that sounds like this sovereign citizen nonsense
I think you are being remarkably generous when you use the word "nonsense." A more accurate description, however, would not be allowed in a family-friendly forum.

Where do these people come from? Obviously not from a little place I like to call "reality."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes