Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 19:11   #1

Swimming in LAKE or Ocean?

I personally don’t like to swim in a lake, never had to swim in the ocean. I can’t really swim that well anyway I can float, if I had to swim I would be in trouble I also do not like to see what or feel anything on my feet... Some people say I am crazy to be on a boat but they don’t understand that you’re on a boat your not swimming you would think that I would not like the water but I do like the water, but can’t stand the things underneath me! Anyone else have the same problems?
Old 09-07-2006, 20:16   #2

Don't worry, WC: most swimming lessons are given by parks & recreation departments or organizations such as the YMCA, and conduct their classes in clear, chlorinated water with smooth, gunite bottoms, usually painted a pleasant sky blue. Little chance some wayward ferocious sea creature is going to sneak up on you and take a bite out of your calf.

You'll enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47   #3

Was that to be funny? Because it was, I know that; I do belong to a YMCA, but I dont think I want to do that anyway....
Old 10-07-2006, 07:06   #4

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecaps
I personally don’t like to swim in a lake, never had to swim in the ocean. I can’t really swim that well anyway I can float, if I had to swim I would be in trouble I also do not like to see what or feel anything on my feet... Some people say I am crazy to be on a boat but they don’t understand that you’re on a boat your not swimming you would think that I would not like the water but I do like the water, but can’t stand the things underneath me! Anyone else have the same problems?
Whitecaps,

I know exactly how you feel! I don't really remember learning to swim, just always remember swimming, but I grew up along Lake Ontario and swimming there mean rocks on bottom, so that was OK. Then I remember going to a cottage or something on a lake with weeds on bottom and something that had a slimy (YUK!) texture to it. At that point I decided I was always going to swim in deep water and for the most part, that's what I do.

Last summer along the Rideau River I wasn't always able to be in deep enough water so I couldn't touch the stuff on bottom, so the first provisioning stop we made I bought a pair of surf socks. That way I couldn't feel the gunk on the bottom.

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:57   #5
cruiser

Ha ha... yes, whitecaps. I too stink at swimming. I can doggy paddle my way around and tread water just long enough to pass the STCW-95 test (by the skin of my teeth). I don't enjoy lake swimming because of the muck and the bottom. I do enjoy a quick dip in the ocean though, since you usually can't touch the bottom (from your boat) and it doesn't leave "lake slime" on you when you come out. The water is crisper, fresher feeling, and feels more "clean."

If you go where it's deep, you don't need to worry about muck, gunk, seaweed, fish, or really much of anything if any of those freak you out.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:01   #6

Talking

That all freaks me out! I am not ashame to say it, but I am a monkey on a boat though! That is cool ; I new I am not alone here!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
This discussion reminds me of Captain Aubrey in Patrick O'Brian's books. One of the things that his crew liked about Aubrey (among many) was that he was one of the few on the ship who could swim. I don't know if this was often true at the time, though O'Brian was noted as being a stickler for authenticity in his books. If so, then you can feel better knowing that you could have crewed for Lucky Jack.

For those who haven't read these novels, pick up Master and Commander and get ready. The 22 volumes are a literary joy that will keep you occupied for quite some time. (The movie was an amalgam of plot lines from a couple of the novels, with some significant changes. In the books, the French frigate they were after was actually an American, one of the Constitution class. They were the WMD's of their day.)

Sorry for the thread-drift, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:18   #8

There is always a Smart A** in the crowd! Heeheheh just joken knottybuoyz..... I know I am misssing out on alot because I dont swim, my wife wants me to try snorkeling with her when we go on vaca!

So I will be getting in there, dont want to not have fun!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:52   #9

Hope May Float, But It Doesn't Have Enough Buoyancy to Keep You at the Surface

WC,

Please don't take me wrong. I wasn't trying to be funny. I thought I detected you smiling a bit at your own irrational fear, so I cast my post in the same vein. I was trying to be encouraging.

Quote:
I can’t really swim that well anyway I can float, if I had to swim I would be in trouble.
Let me get this right. You are for all practical purposes a sailor who is a non-swimmer. You belong to a YMCA (presumably with a pool), but are not taking advantage of the simple opportunity to learn to swim in a pristine, safe situation that would allow you to address this underlying fear and give you the skills that may very well save your life or the life of one of your guests. I don't understand what keeps you.

Quote:
I do like the water, but can’t stand the things underneath me!
What things do you think are underneath you when your boat is in 3, or 6, fathoms?

Quote:
…they don't understand you're on a boat you're not swimming…
But you could be swimming in half a second, whether you planned on it or not, and isn't that the point? If you're a non-swimmer, what precautions do you take to make absolutely sure you never wind up "over your head," as they say?

I'm not being facetious; I'm genuinely interested in knowing how you approach this challenge.

Humbly,
Jeff
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01   #10
cruiser

Snorkeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecaps
There is always a Smart A** in the crowd! Heeheheh just joken knottybuoyz..... I know I am misssing out on alot because I dont swim, my wife wants me to try snorkeling with her when we go on vaca!

So I will be getting in there, dont want to not have fun!

Actually, snorkeling is much easier than swimming. I can snorkel almost indefinitely. It doesn't require the same effort to stay afloat since you can breathe while you are mostly underwater. Once you are able to clear the snorkel with ease, you will actually have an easier time swimming. Also, the "weeds and muck" turn to beautiful underwater scenery when you snorkel. I'd suggest a little bit of swimming in the pools, followed by some snorkeling to help you get over the feeling of weeds and muck bothering you. When you are down in them, the look more like "trees and dirt"
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:40   #11

Well its like this Jeff, it will make me a much better sailor if I don’t end up in the water and or loose anything as long as it is my boat I am always telling everyone what I am doing before I do it. I always tell people what I see ahead if anything like a big gust of wind or anything out of the ordinary. If I had a lifejacket on I would be ok then! I will just have on or two more then the others!

I do think if something is happening I will react no matter what, and learn at that time! I just don’t like the water in my ears and I can never open my eyes in the water! I go to the GYM to left weights... One day I will go to the pool! I agree it is a wired thing I think it was how I was thrown into the water when I was kid in our lake growing up....
Old 10-07-2006, 17:10   #12

Look, Honey: the ad says, "Boat for Sale: Owner Drowned."

Okay, so you're a non-swimmer who doesn't wear a lifejacket out on the water. Really?

"The best laid plans of mice and men aft gang agley." —Robert Burns

I recognize that you take certain precautions, including being watchful & communicating clearly with your crew/guests; but ultimately none of us can prevent the eventuality of going over the side. It's as as easy as a slip, an unseen swell while we're forward, an unexpected gybe, etc.

My apologies to Billy Abbot, but this is something to worry about before it breaks. Teaching yourself to swim after you're thrown over seems to be less than an optimal risk-management plan.
Old 10-07-2006, 18:17   #13

Yes I am a non-swimmer AND I do not wear a lifejacket eather.. You are correct!
Old 10-07-2006, 19:14   #14

Boat: Hobie Cat 16', the "Why Knot"
thats not very safe...

not that if i were knocked on concious and overboard, even though i can swim, id be any better off.....hmm

good thing im invincible
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 20:16   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hey Whitecaps,
Wake up!!! I teach sailing for the YMCA. Just had a class today. We require all to pass a swim test and to wear a PFD (Life jacket) when they are on the water. There is a reason for that. You do an accidental jibe, get hit in the head, go in the water without a PFD, you are dead. End of sailing.
Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote