Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29   #61

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Survey: what modifications are needed for the aging sailor

There isn't a gym required for exercise either. I have a tidy built in weight set---unfortunately too much built in. Many experts recommend just lifting my chubby legs and arms and assorted body parts.

The problem I have with that is that it's awfully boring. I much more enjoy walking, biking, sailing, or just working on something.

Certainly there are other health issues that make exercise a problem but I believe that most are minimized by some sort of movement.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46   #62

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Rest and recovery become more important as we age and it can be be difficult to be comfortable enough in cockpit seats, what about fitting a fishing chair like the ones used in sport fishing boats as a helm seat? Good LED deck lights with a switch by the boarding ladder make life easier both in harbour and underway at night. A deck crane with a small power winch on the side deck to lift supplies from the dingy? Good luck and keep sailing, it is a wonderfully effective way to maintain health as you get older.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:03   #63

Boat: Sunbird, schooner, 32ft

A lot of people have opted for electric windlasses for anchoring equipment but at 71 my back is done for recovering that equipment without the electric windlass. If my windlass were to break that is definitely a return to port scenario for me, so to obviate that and preserve the life of my windlass as long as possible, I always snub my anchor chain off with stretchy nylon rope. This relieves the windlass of shocks, stresses, and strains for which it was not designed.
The big problem is therefore how to get the snubbing line attached easily, safely and conveniently without awkward and dangerous body positions, to the deployed anchor chain.
I am 71 with a boat which is extremely cramped for space at the bow end so I have been forced to come up with a solution which I hope will be coming onto the market anytime within the next year. So watch this space. I will be posting when it is available. I cannot say any more without invalidating patent applications etc.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:48   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

We have mast steps. Selden closed loop style.

I think it is essential to be able to climb the mast, also at sea.

Think of navigating coral, shallows, threading a new halyard or replacing an ailing shroud or stay.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50   #65

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Do you have the winch permanently installed on deck, or do you have some other arrangement.
It's bolted down inside a tool box at the base of the mast.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:21   #66

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Ain't being old great? Only the memories of years ago. Just don't be one those found floating because not making the step to the dock.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53   #67

Mast climbing safety line

In my youth I used to climb, so I've brought the climbing rope technology into sailing.
There are well established techniques for attaching to a rope so that you can put load on to it. The generic term is prusiking.
In the old days we used prusik knots on a vertical rope that when loaded would take your weight and when unloaded could be slid upwards or downwards. Google prusik knots.
These days so money can be made, there are devices called ascenders, one brand name is Jumar, now used a bit like Hoover.
They are basically a cam cleat with a handle, attached with a trigger so you can disengage the cam to move the ascender downwards.
Last time I went up the mast I used two of them, each had a foot loop ( different lengths ) move them alternately with your weight on the static one. If you can afford three, use one attached to a harness, I put a shackle from my harness onto the standing line and when I had reached the height clipped my harness onto one of the Jumars.
BEWARE the cams have little teeth and will chew your rope so you need a slave rope that you haul up to the top of the mast with a halyard.
Doing that is slow and painfull because you are swinging around alot, but if you are climbing steps and just want a safety line, rig your slave rope and use a jumar on a short sling and keep moving it up or down. You could use a prusik knot onto a taut halyard cleated at the deck, but be carefull that the prusik is tight after each move.
Another way is to use an industrial fall arrest device. Much easier to use but it brings another bit of kit on board that you won't use often. Attach it to a halyard and haul it up, keeping the sharp end on deck. As you climb it will self retract so much easier to use. I don't know how much maintenance they need, where as Jumars are basic and easy to check.
Cost? a fall arrest block is circa £200 and Jumars are about £40 - £50 each.
My next boat will have steps, a taut halyard that I can clip onto to stop myself swinging allover and a fall arrest block.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:46   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
It's bolted down inside a tool box at the base of the mast.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have such a box, but I like the idea.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:57   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't have such a box, but I like the idea.
This is what I bought for the job. It protects the through penetration for the electrics, leaves some room for miscellaneous storage and makes a step. It needs to have a gasket added at the lid. Part of the future plan is to install a plug for the autopilot to enable steering from up on the mast steps.

Titan 30" Aluminum Truck Bed Camper Tool Box w/ Lock Pickup Trailer Storage ATV
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05   #70

Boat: Pearson 34-II

A younger body. In all seriousness, this is the reason to go with a small/affordable boat at an early age. Although all the previous suggestions have been very thoughtful, there is no substitute for youth. Docks around the world are littered with boats and the broken dreams of their owners. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 04-05-2017, 16:26   #71

Quote:
This is what I bought for the job. It protects the through penetration for the electrics, leaves some room for miscellaneous storage and makes a step. It needs to have a gasket added at the lid. Part of the future plan is to install a plug for the autopilot to enable steering from up on the mast steps.

Titan 30" Aluminum Truck Bed Camper Tool Box w/ Lock Pickup Trailer Storage ATV

I see. I thought you meant a built-in toolbox. I like the idea, but don't have sufficient room. There'd be nowhere to attach the kicker.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 16:54   #72

Re: Survey: what modifications are needed for the aging sailors once in

Since I'm a belt and suspenders kind of gal,
I'm going to work the steps with a bosuns chair
strapped to my body just in case. I'll report results.
Mommasails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 18:34   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

66 and 65. 1 year live aboard.

Here I'll just talk about our big boat.

So I'll start of with the list I've undertaken:

1. 3' high solid rails
Great idea, we lust after these.

2. Lazy jacks for main and mizzen
Boat came with them. I find them a bit of a pain. But overall good for the big main.

3. Electric anchor windlass with chain rode and big Mantus anchor
Boat came with a Lofrans Falcon, I've added a 125' Mantus. I can raise it using a winch if needed. I don't need the aggitation of wondering about the hook.

4. 12 volt hoist with remote control to hoist me up the mast.
I added steps. 24" apart, 20" would have been better.

5. wide sturdy swim/boarding ladder that folds down from the deck
Working on his, not easy with a underswung transom and wind vane">Aries wind vane.

6. Mast pulpit
I am ambivelent about this. It could be more pain than gain.

7. Additional boarding access step at davits
We have relative low freeboard and use a single clip on step that works well.

8. Added a pair of #52 self trailers for sheets.

9. Strong track to make raising the main easier. But improvement

10. I designed and built a stern arch that does a lot. Radar, solar, antennas, wind yen, it hangs over the water so we use a handy bully to handle the dinks 8hp. I got rid of the stern rails but close off the end of the arch with 2 pieces of small SS chain. This makes a very secure work area and can be dropped like a gate for working over the transom.

11. Rebuilt the bow pulpit to make anchor work easier and safer, more sturdy.

2/. General simplification of systems.

None of these hints were done NUST because we are aging but because I am lazy and like to be comfortable.

And I don't think that is mentioned enough. Comfort. Our boat is our home at least 6 months a year. It needs to be a place where we can relax and recharge. It needs to make you feel safe in motion and on the hook. If you can go lay down and relax, let go, then it is more sustainable.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 23:38   #74

Quote:
I am turning 70 in two months and suffered from a surgery and recovery last year that seriously limited my mobility for a while. I'd like to hear what project and ideas others have done to ease the burdens of bad knees and aching back.
Hi Sailor,

I can relate. Attached are my lifesavers!

This is a hammock chair. Very sturdy and strong (rated for 250 or 300lbs). It is attached to a hard bimini (with a dogs leash, ha). I see you have a soft bimini. That's okay, just hang it off your mizzen boom. Any future boat, for me, must have a hard bimini/top that I can secure this chair to. It is like having a lazyboy or zero gravity chair on a boat. I have steered in light-moderate wind in it. To me it is the dream helmsman chair, I am so happy I finally thought it (been working well for the past 1.5yrs).

Also attached is the custom convertible dinette and lightweight, low energy led tv on a custom arm (stows safely in the pilot berth). It is about the size of a double bed. Add the heating blanket (they make 12volt ones) and therapy pillows (wedges are great, also small bean bag chairs or inflatables, which are great on deck too) and it is perfect, better than the aft queen. If there is company and I need to lay down and rest but don't want to get isolated in the aft cabin I can do so in that big, deep pilot berth (two 13 year olds snuggled in that berth today to watch a movie while us four adults ate breakfast around the table).

Click image for larger version

Name:	1494224437825.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	147276Click image for larger version

Name:	1494224483454.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	147277 Click image for larger version

Name:	1494225257641.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	147278
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
sailor 1924,

That's pretty interesting, and I will give it a go. It looks like it takes a bit of practice. Her dinghy is a lot smaller than ours, which has 20" tubes. Also, ours does not have the handles at the top of the tubes, but down on the sides.

Ann
Hi Ann;

I'm curious if you tried the backflip into the dinghy. And if so, what your experience?

Tags
sail, survey